Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Removal of tools
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:07 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Just to let anyone who cares, I will be removing the all downloads at http:://www.ragedcom.com/punt by next weekend. I have some concepts that I subscribe to, one of them is a disdain for distorted marketing (or marketing that serves to primarly serve ones ego). Other tool developers do not subscribe to this, and that is of course their choice (no one can state one being right and the other wrong). However, when my tools get referenced in context of comparasion of tools that are not avialable to make an informed comparasion, or based on assertations of what one believes I am doing and not doing, I have an interest.

Looking at this, I have limited choices. I can compromise, which I do not do well. Or I can just remove myself from the situation. Which is the easiest to do, as I don't participate anymore in the UO scene. The code is of course all available, to do with it as one likes based on the license. And will be avialable on my harddrive until it is deleted to make space for other things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:15 am 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

You should host it here. I am sure everybody here appreciates your work. At least give a copy of the sources to Ryandor for non-public backup with some scenario where he is allowed to distribute it? I wish I had done that.

I did something extremely similar, except that I threw a fit for the opposite reason -- everybody was criticizing my tools and me for my boasting of how quick/fast/capable they are. I was pretty immature about all of it, and now the sources are gone forever, if not on my old HD someplace buried deep within my closet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:30 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

The code is all GPL, so I can not put distirbution limitations on it anway (not that I would). Anyone can download them and do what they want.

They just wont exist as "punt's" tools. It isn't an issue of being appreicated (my wife and family does, which suffices for me). It is to remove the continuing issue of association with other tools that subscribe to a vary different approach (one that strongly disagree with). The fact they will be removed (and thus no longer "punt's" tools, should eliminate that conflict).

ps. as a side note, I recall when you revoked all said licenses to your work. This included your UOX deriivate work, which was under the GPL. That license does not allow for revockation after the fact (just new releases). Just an fyi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have downloaded everything and will make it available indefinetly on Ryandor.com provided Punt doesn't have a problem with this.

I hate to see you go Punt as you are a very valuable member of this community, however I understand your point of view.
I wish you the best in everything you do and hope that you can drop by from time to time to say hi.

Thanks,

Ryandor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:31 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

I as well hate to hear your removal of tools Punt, they were very useful to me. However I do understand your frustration all to well, its why I removed my graphics (Though they can still be downloaded in my forums for registered users).

This community can be a huge pain in the ass some of the time but Ry's forums has been the only decent place that has for the most part been "Home". (Most of the others banned me for pointing out certain arrogant personalities...*Cou-Phantom-gh* :wink: )

Hopefully you will only remove your tools and not your friendship as I have never had nothing but respect for your work and envy your ability to make tools since I am totally lacking in programing skills other than some minor scripting.

As Ry said, we wish you nothing but the best in what ever you decide.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:47 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

So let me get this straight? You are removing them and stopping work on them altogether or just removing them from their current hosting? Can't say I blame you either way, I still pop my head in here regularly more for the community (I guess I really do love you assholes :P ) than for any real interest in UO emulation (although once in a while I get a wild hair up my ass and actually work on new stuff). Like Dev said; if you are throwing in the towel drop by from time to time and let us know you're alive man. Thanks for everything you've given to us.

Post subject: Straightening out
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:40 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I am removing them from download (by me at least). that way I won't get into the "competition" of "punt's tool" etc with others.

I haven't been active in the UO community for a looooooooong time, so I don't think I will be leaving the community any more then I all ready have.

As for working on them, I will probably dabble. But hopefully others well as too (source is up there for all of the tools). I don't really know what features need to be done. There are new OpenGL ways to do some things (which I never back fitted) into the tools, but that is wont affect the functionality.

As for distribution, they are all open the community, so any/everyone can distribute them (as long as they abide by the license, and make source available).

So I don't see my activally working them, but for reasons that I don't know of any functionality they need (within the context of the scope of each tool).

Post subject: Question?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:03 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

One question I do have. I have been toying with getting a Mac. If I did that, I would give serious consideration of redoing all my tools in native Mac format (Not QT). That would include the client I have been dabbling with internally.

Would a native Mac version of WorldMaker suite be of any interest to anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:07 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

MAC???!!! :shock: They still make those???

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:12 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

So I take it that is a no on the interest in a Mac version of the tools.

Personaly, I love the OpenStep API, and find Objective C easy to develop in. If GNUStep ran cleaner on windows, that would be ok. But it doesn't, so if you want to develop in that environment, Mac is the way to go (hobby remember).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:21 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

on my gosh, punt, are you saying i could use my husband's mac to make a map? SWEET

that would be an extreme amount of work, though, punt, for a very very miniscule community. :? Not really worth it if you ask me.

Post subject: iMac in the house
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:59 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

*dusts off new iMac*

A tiny community doesn't bother me. As part of unix on PC's in a windows world, I as part of a tiny one then.

I just really enjoy the days of developing on NeXT, and Mac's now let me essentially do it again.

So yes, if there is at least ONE person who might use it, it would be worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:58 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

punt1959 wrote:
ps. as a side note, I recall when you revoked all said licenses to your work. This included your UOX deriivate work, which was under the GPL. That license does not allow for revockation after the fact (just new releases). Just an fyi.

I did not revoke the license to my version of UOX; I just stopped distributing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:27 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Quote:

I did not revoke the license to my version of UOX; I just stopped distributing it.

fair enough. At one time I swear the site had that one was no longer authorized to use them, but been too long now. My mistake.

Post subject: Re: iMac in the house
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:26 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

punt1959 wrote:
*dusts off new iMac*

A tiny community doesn't bother me. As part of unix on PC's in a windows world, I as part of a tiny one then.

I just really enjoy the days of developing on NeXT, and Mac's now let me essentially do it again.

So yes, if there is at least ONE person who might use it, it would be worth it.

AGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!
He went out and did the 1 thing that could make me lose respect for him!
A macccccccccccccccccccccccc
Why? Oh for the love of god why?
*runs screaming from the room*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:46 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I don't know how many ever developed for NeXt. OpenStep was truely a development joy (QT has been the closest I found in the C++ PC world).

So the Mac choice was easy. I wanted that development envorment, and Mac was the only way to get a reasonable emulation of it. It fits in easy enough right next to my PC.

But to each his own!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:35 pm 
Community Guy

I think the newer macs are pretty hot. I love the fact that they brought it so much closer to a unix/linux type of platform.

I used to loath macs. Now I say more power to em.

Rock on Punt. Rock on. *sniff*