Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Dragon Palette
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:33 am 
Master
Master

Yes, i'm started to customize new Dragon palette, now named as RPGmod. It's taking away the landscape detailization ( "2, 12, 22..." altitude tiles will be totally removed), but against of that it taking pull for special tilesets (haunted woods, spider forests, frozen plains, ice lakes and much more). Currently it's just started to filling with photoshop colortable. How are you looking at that idea?

"Be calm and silent, as Darkness care not of passions and lies. Be patient and cold, as Darkness exists out of borders of time and emotions. Just be yourself, as You are in the Darkness and Darkness is inside of you."
-Dark Ones Doctrine, 2001y (c)-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:47 am 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

How about making two dragons. The first works normally just like now and the second performs the supplimentary functions such as spider forest, weird stuff etc.

Script the first dragon to place no draw tiles for the colors it does not recognice and the second to recognize only those colors so they do not overlap and create problems.

Just a thought.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:37 pm 
Master
Master

Nice thought. Unfortunately Dragon are reading image color index that are in fact contains a 16x16 color matrix (256 assorted colors), no reading a color, so each image may contain a part only for one of Dragons... it makes work on that map taking some separate images for each tile-palette. Also, Dragon scripts can only create transitions between tiles of one palette in one time, so between tiles of separate dragons there transitions cannot be created and map will be looking weird... there is possibly to modify the First Gragon to lay tiles and second will lay altitude for them... but i dont know. That's a good idea, but i'm not aknowledged in Dragon system deep enough to develop it...

"Be calm and silent, as Darkness care not of passions and lies. Be patient and cold, as Darkness exists out of borders of time and emotions. Just be yourself, as You are in the Darkness and Darkness is inside of you."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:29 am 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

All it would need is to stop before using SP, this would allow you to copy the Dragon uncompiled files over to the second Dragon. Then after you lay the main stuff in the main Dragon you would then use the precompiled files in the second dragon to run a second Dragon SP which would place all the special stuff like spider woods in the areas you left as the voided colors. As long as you did not clear the previous compiles statics it would add the second batch on top.

I'm not talking about actual map terrain stuff just the statics which is all things like spider woods and such really are. The ground tiles are universal.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:20 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

*pulls forth a torch and pitchfork*
Slay the Dragons!!

*looks around for a few moments*
Oops, sorry. Wrong thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:37 am 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

*Pulls Xuri's hat over his body and tosses him like a frizbie back into the correct thread!*

I watched "Harry Pothead and the Goblet of Blue spooky Stuff" I can do that kind of magic now! :wink:

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:44 am 
Master
Master

Hmmm... are you mean that for special landscape you would use a similar texture? So, if your spider forest using the dirt texture as ground, you could to outborder it by base dirt, and as result it will overlay to that dirt and there will not be a need in transitions for spec. land types? Hmmm... that a thing to think about... i've just thinking about a complicated drgon that are using 2 bitmaps, one for land and one for altitude. There should to be a photoshop work with layers and it will be absolutely UNIVERSAL. Just imagine - one bitmap is will contain 256 land types and one - 256 altitude ratings!!! That should to be awesome... intersting, there will be new Dragon or not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:54 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think what Dev was referring to was the question that DragonSP asks when it finishes compiling "Clear current statics?" If you ran DragonSP two times - once using the regular statics (trees, flowers, rocks, etc) and saved that, you could then run it through a second version of DragonSP using the statics for your special areas (spider webs, snow trees, dead trees, etc). When you were running the second DragonSP for the "special" areas, you just answer NO to "Clear Current Statics" and it would draw the special stuff over the top of the regular stuff.

I'm not sure that is any clearer. *blushes a bit* Sorry if it doesn't help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:38 pm 
Master
Master

The deed is not only in statics for spec land types, but about a landscape too. Lets say if i drawn a graphic for frozen water, i will require to add it into spec palette as a land type, not like a static generation set. But if i use a spec palette with that new frozen water, the transitions(coast) will not be placed, as far as spec-palette related dragon will not see a basic palette, so it unable to place a transition between tiles of basic and spec land types. As i sad, it require to be tested...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:52 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Xenoth wrote:
i've just thinking about a complicated drgon that are using 2 bitmaps, one for land and one for altitude. There should to be a photoshop work with layers and it will be absolutely UNIVERSAL. Just imagine - one bitmap is will contain 256 land types and one - 256 altitude ratings!!! That should to be awesome... intersting, there will be new Dragon or not?

Yeah, it's called UO Landscaper [url]orbsydia.com[/url]
Alternately punts new suite (probably best choice) and Syd's defunct SMC/TMC (for posterity and so Syd doesn't whine that I left him out, again :P ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:05 am 
Master
Master

Hah... i've saw that "landscaper", where is not possible to set a hue for generating statics... there is no need in spec land types - you just will not be able to make them...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:18 pm 
Master
Master

Got stuck on the question... i have some ideas for new palette, but it will require custom graphics including, so i dont know, need it to be developed, or i better to just use basic arts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:36 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

Stormcrow wrote:
Xenoth wrote:
i've just thinking about a complicated drgon that are using 2 bitmaps, one for land and one for altitude. There should to be a photoshop work with layers and it will be absolutely UNIVERSAL. Just imagine - one bitmap is will contain 256 land types and one - 256 altitude ratings!!! That should to be awesome... intersting, there will be new Dragon or not?

Yeah, it's called UO Landscaper [url]orbsydia.com[/url]
Alternately punts new suite (probably best choice) and Syd's defunct SMC/TMC (for posterity and so Syd doesn't whine that I left him out, again :P ).

... *was already getting the carosine and some rabid monkeys ready before ending the sentence* ...

Well, what the hell...

:-P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:40 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

*thought about it for a while, anyway*

You know! ?

My tools used a TRUE-COLOR image for the terrain and a grayscale for the altitude? psh, no 256-limit at all! You could have a different color for each and every tile, if you wanted to! They ruled! Yeah! Awesome! ? Oh, wait, the nice lady in the white is telling me it is time for my candy? mm? *falls asleep, drooling*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:47 am 
Master
Master

huh... 2 messages and no one of them is answering my straight question...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:15 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

True color? You can't work with a true color image of 6144 x 4096 pixels.
The file size grows exponentially with increased bit depth.
Darus actually made support for true color images in the last version of Dragon he sent me, but how the hell can you use it when you need a harddrive for the image alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:59 pm 
Master
Master

TRUE COLOR DEPTH: 32 bits
MAP SIZE: 6144x4096px

Total pixel count: 6144 * 4096 = 25165824 pixels

Each pixel containing 32 bit color info: 25165824 * 32 = 805306368

Byte is 8 bits - 805306368 / 8 = 100663296 Bytes

KByte is 1024 Bytes 100663296 / 1024 = 98304 KBytes

MByte is 1024 KBytes - 98304 / 1024 = 96 MBytes.

Finally true color tile-map sized by 96 MBytes. There is no so much, but you will require good hardware to make photoshop works with it fast enough, in fact that PsP cant work nice with truecolor of such dimensions, even with dithering... Also you could get a craps from soft transitions between different hues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:55 am 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

True-color does not necessitate an alpha channel, therefore it is only 72MB, slightly less than map0.mul (it would be exactly the same size if map0.mul did not have the 4-byte chunk headers).

72MB is trivial. Especially with page flipping and Photoshop, on a system with 32 Megs of RAM, runs just fine with an image that big -- that is the system I developed the program on.

It also compiled the maps in less than a minute on a 400Mhz (32MB RAM). :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:11 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

Xenoth wrote:
huh... 2 messages and no one of them is answering my straight question...

I take offense to this comment. Just so you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:26 pm 
Master
Master

I TAKE OFFENCE, that i have made a question, wishing anyone could advise me what better to do, and you are ignored it totally and made a discussion about different map renderes, that is factually coming to be offtopic! That is why I am offence!!!! :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:21 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

The world does not revolve around you or your question. I was speaking to something someone said prior to your question, which is pretty obvious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:22 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

We would help you Xenoth if we knew what the hell you were talking about. What exactly was the question?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:27 am 
Master
Master

"Got stuck on the question... i have some ideas for new palette, but it will require custom graphics including, so i dont know, need it to be developed, or i better to just use basic arts?". I'm not writing questions to myself, i just wanted for you to share your point of view on it. If thats not clear enough just say, i will rewrite it more clearly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:00 am 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

State it more clearly, please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:21 am 
Master
Master

Ok. I making a palette and modifying a D9 for work with it for sharing it with any, who will like to use it. Certainly right now i'm making a new tileset - floating land (drifting land statics pack, made for creating ethereal landscape on a base of starfloor), and like to make some more. But this way, anyone who like to use that staff will need to patch it into his mul's. So, there is a unsurement - to add these custom graphics to my palette and make them avaliable, or to avoid custom graphics and make palette on basical RunUO tilesets? First will give new landtypes, but require patching with Mulpatcher, second will give additional landtiles on a base of standart tilesets and more flexibility with them, whish is better?