Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: First ... EMULATOR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:10 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

The Emulator debate.

RunUO, Sphere or the "other guys"

Well, IMHO, the EMU we use should be using is RunUO.
I've tried, Run, Sphere, UOX and Pol over the years, RUnUO by far wins in my book.

The REAL question here should be, what version, 1,2 or SVN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:06 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

RunUO without a doubt. It's heavily developed, stable, supported, and is open source.

All of the emulators are good and I don't mean to put down anyone's favorite. But I've used them all - UOX, Sphere, POL, and RUO - and without a doubt RUO is the best one.

It may not be the EASIEST. But I don't think EASY is what we are looking for from this project. We want something that is widely customizable, stable, and supported. You can't do much better than a solid software package that is open source, especially when you don't have to deal with a 3rd party scripting language that may or may not be very good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:34 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

just an observation, you indirectly make all servers windows based.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:41 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

The latest versions of RUO can be made to run on Linux. I'm not a Linux guru tho so someone smarter than me on that would need to address the particulars. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am by no means a linux guru, but I have a box we could use if need be. (I've slowly been converting myself to Ubuntu for daily use on my laptop)

I'm sure punt could nudge me in the right direction for setting up a server for the shard if need be.

Otherwise, if a windows box is the answer, so be that too. I can set up the computer for that too.

The computer I have available is a P4/1GHz with 512 MB ram and a 20GB HD. An OK starter box if needed.
[edit]
I should note this computer may be "slow" by modern standards but it is rock solid. I've been using it for over 2 years as a file server, and until recently as a Windows Home Server test box. Longest uptime was almost 6 months (running WinXP-SP2). I would trust this computer to just about anything.

Last edited by Ryandor on Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:10 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

HellRazor wrote:
The latest versions of RUO can be made to run on Linux. I'm not a Linux guru tho so someone smarter than me on that would need to address the particulars. :)

There is a world of difference to "made to run" and fully supported. WoW is fully supported on the Mac OS , it isn't an orphan also ran.

Not stating it is a bad, or positive thing. Just a ramification of the decision, to be considered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:55 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

punt1959 wrote:
HellRazor wrote:

There is a world of difference to "made to run" and fully supported. WoW is fully supported on the Mac OS , it isn't an orphan also ran.

Not stating it is a bad, or positive thing. Just a ramification of the decision, to be considered.

It IS supported - they've made some changes to make the server Linux compatible. But it probably needs to run under WINE or something. I'm not a Linux guy so I don't know the pros and cons of that. But yeah, probably not the same thing as being able to run natively. And sure, something to consider. But other than from a developer's standpoint, I don't think the platform matters much to the end users, only to those who need to develop the server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:56 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Ryandor wrote:
I am by no means a linux guru, but I have a box we could use if need be. (I've slowly been converting myself to Ubuntu for daily use on my laptop)

I'm sure punt could nudge me in the right direction for setting up a server for the shard if need be.

Otherwise, if a windows box is the answer, so be that too. I can set up the computer for that too.

The computer I have available is a P4/1GHz with 512 MB ram and a 20GB HD. An OK starter box if needed.
[edit]
I should note this computer may be "slow" by modern standards but it is rock solid. I've been using it for over 2 years as a file server, and until recently as a Windows Home Server test box. Longest uptime was almost 6 months (running WinXP-SP2). I would trust this computer to just about anything.

Might need a memory boost. I'd recommend at least a gig of memory if not more. It's one of the most important parts of the server for running a shard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:46 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Use UOX3! It's stable, being developed, is supported, and is open-source. ;) It also runs on Linux, every now and then :P

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]