Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: urg damn
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:26 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

hey guys, was just wondering, if there is a way to essentially merge two different static files together.

That is, the statics in one file get copied into the same locations in the statics of another file creating one unified files.

thanks bros

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:41 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I don't beleive its possible, if so i've never heard of it. I've had to do it the hard way so many times. Unextract the statics in 1 file, and static the unextracted statics + new statics into a new file. Its a huge pain, especially with the forests/coast lines in the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:21 pm 
Young
Young

Actually, Id say thats really simple.

Load up a fresh copy of RunUO, wipe the world of all items.
Use your first statics file. Globaly Unfreeze everything.
Now you got all your items on the runuo server.

So just load up your second statics file and freeze down everything
you unfroze from the first file.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:36 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Xavier_WER wrote:

Excellent idea, I could see how it would work in theory.

But, I don't know.. I'd be very tempted to visit every single static everywhere just to make sure everything froze back correctly or wasn't messed up in the process.

Yet, you kind of have to wonder, if it is shown that this is possible to do through RunUO why hasn't there been a program already created to do this without RunUO?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:03 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Xavier_WER wrote:

Thats actually the hard way. If you have forests, then you just refroze a forest on a forest, you now have double the statics file for restaticing everything twice. You have to manually remove everything that you don't want to restatic. He was looking for a different way. And not to be rude, but i already said the same thing you just said, just in different context. It just bothers me how people don't bother reading everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:35 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

blackdevil wrote:
Xavier_WER wrote:

Thats actually the hard way. If you have forests, then you just refroze a forest on a forest, you now have double the statics file for restaticing everything twice. You have to manually remove everything that you don't want to restatic. He was looking for a different way. And not to be rude, but i already said the same thing you just said, just in different context. It just bothers me how people don't bother reading everything.

Why would you have to restatic forests? What if the maps you want to combine have different landmasses that don't overlap, and each map has it's own statics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:56 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Another way you could do this is to put the changes into the DIFF files. The stuff in the DIFF files will overwrite what is in the Map and Static files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:33 am 
Young
Young

Nebu, can you describe what the two landmasses, statics etc. Are?
Might get easier to figure this one out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:33 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Xavier_WER wrote:
Nebu, can you describe what the two landmasses, statics etc. Are?
Might get easier to figure this one out.

They are basically just two maps created with dragon. One map already has developed statics and trees and buildings and everything, the other has yet to be created. I want to take the BMP of the second map and copy and paste pieces of it into the first map, to create a new map.

Unfortunately, if I use the same statics file from the first map, in order to keep the trees and structures, any of the newly forged land will not have foliage spawned on it. This is a problem.

Thus, what I'm thinking of doing in photoshop is to make 2 layers, the first map on the bottom and the pieces from the second map on top. Then I will just take the top layer of the image by itself, and turn that into a map complete with foliage. This will create a statics file with foliage in all the new areas of the map. Then I will make the final map, with all the new areas and the first map merged. I will load the statics file that has all the new foliage in the new places, and do a global unfreeze, save the server, and exit. Then I will load in the final statics file that I want, and load the server again with all the new foliage in the new places, and then do a global freeze of all items.

I don't really want to mess around with DIFF files, I just want to have everything unified.

The tricky part will be splicing a couple of land masses together. Some areas I am merging in are just simply islands, but other areas actually touch currently existing terrain to create a new extension of land, I guess I'm gonna have to deal with shorelines and stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:49 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Nebu wrote:
Why would you have to restatic forests? What if the maps you want to combine have different landmasses that don't overlap, and each map has it's own statics.

Heres and example:
Static file 1: custom map statics, with everything already done. Includes tournement arenas, towns, special buildings, forests, and coast lines suited for the map.
Static file 2: Only has map statics (forests/coast lines/etc)
Lets say the reason you're importing the statics into the map is because you have updated the map statics. You have to import the first static file, because you wish to use all those statics, but you want to use the new map statics isnted of the old ones. If you import/unextract both static files, you now have double everything for the map statics. So in order to avoid that you have to remove all the previous map statics before you import the new ones. Its a huge pain in the ass. The only easy way to solve this is to just script a command to manually remove select items from the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:44 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

blackdevil wrote:
Nebu wrote:

Heres and example:
Static file 1: custom map statics, with everything already done. Includes tournement arenas, towns, special buildings, forests, and coast lines suited for the map.
Static file 2: Only has map statics (forests/coast lines/etc)
Lets say the reason you're importing the statics into the map is because you have updated the map statics. You have to import the first static file, because you wish to use all those statics, but you want to use the new map statics isnted of the old ones. If you import/unextract both static files, you now have double everything for the map statics. So in order to avoid that you have to remove all the previous map statics before you import the new ones. Its a huge pain in the ass. The only easy way to solve this is to just script a command to manually remove select items from the world.

I don't think that's what I'm talking about though. I'm saying two completely different static files that don't have any statics overlapping at any coordinates between the two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:32 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Why not just use a utility to copy the new area from map 1 to map 2?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:33 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Nebu wrote:
I don't think that's what I'm talking about though. I'm saying two completely different static files that don't have any statics overlapping at any coordinates between the two.

I was just using it as an example. The only way i know how to put 2 static files into 1 is to unextract both static files. If theres anything you don't want thats combined with both, then remove it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:47 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

HellRazor wrote:
Why not just use a utility to copy the new area from map 1 to map 2?

What!?

Perfect!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:19 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

TDV Mulpatcher, the old Worldforge, and punt's map maker all have map copy functions, and there are some standalone map copy programs as well. Basically you just enter the X and Y coordinates of the area you want to copy.