Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Punt - Project Idea
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:30 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I don't know if you have the time or incentive for a new UO related project, but I thought I'd toss this idea out to see if it interested you! Its quite a bit beyond my meager programming skills.

My idea is for a new type of map-to-map copying program. There are a few programs out there that will allow you to copy terrain and statics from one map to another. But these all work by copying rectangular blocks, which makes detail work difficult. If you are working in tight spaces it can be difficult to squeeze things in without overwriting portions of the destination map that you didn't want to overwrite.

It got me to thinking that it would be pretty cool to be able to select a user-defined area for copying. Sort of how a paint program's user-defined selection mode works. You could select the area you want to copy using a lasso and then only copy the area you specified.

Something like this would allow you to easily copy islands, etc. and place them where you want to on a destination map without overwriting portions due to working with rectangular blocks.

It would also be cool if you could define certain terrain types to be ignored in the copying.

Sound like something you might be interested in putting together?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:37 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

how is this different from the current mapeditor.

Today, if you select a region, and copy it, it gets put on the windows clipboard. Now, unless the clipboard is clared on exit, it should be there if you restarted the map editor with a new map (maybe I clear it, I don't recalll). So one can then paste it wherever they want.

Otherwise, I don't understand what one is asking for. A grachical view of 2 maps, and the ability to copy between (again, map editor has this now, via copy or drag/drop). Bring up 2 facets, and see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:38 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

The difference is in the copy mode.

Currently all the copying is done using a rectangular box.

I'm proposing a method that would allow you to "lasso" an area and then copy it. The lasso could curve around edges, etc. and be any shape that the user defines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:00 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hmm, I don't copy based on a box. I let you select the tiles you want (they don't eve have to be contiguuous, and then you can copy those over (or drag them).

Sorry, not trying to be dense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:52 am 
Master
Master

I believe what Hellrazor is saying is, currently, you enter upper left coords then lower right coords to copy a section of map. This gives you a rectangular section with everything within that rectangle copied.

What he'd like to do is be able to select any shape area he wants, maybe circular or oblong or any multi-angled section and copy it to past it over to another map.

-Goldrush

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:52 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

CMS wrote:
I believe what Hellrazor is saying is, currently, you enter upper left coords then lower right coords to copy a section of map. This gives you a rectangular section with everything within that rectangle copied.

What he'd like to do is be able to select any shape area he wants, maybe circular or oblong or any multi-angled section and copy it to past it over to another map.

-Goldrush

Exactly, just like a paint program's selection mode. Zoom out, turn on "select" mode, get a visual lasso that you can shape any way you like, use it to define the area you wish to cut or copy.

If you had something like this, you could more easily create an entire map from pieces from other maps. You could fit islands into tight areas like coves that you can't otherwise do (because a box would overwrite portions of the surrounding land).

Maybe allow the user to cursor around tha map, with each mouse click creating the boundry for the next corner, until you have circled all the way around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:23 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think I understand what is being asked for. I am saying one has that ability now in the map editor.
Right now, one can select any set of tiles (any shape, contiguous or not), and then copy them to another facet.

Is it the interface that is the problem? It doesn't require you to enter coordinates, but requires you to select the tiles. Is that the defecienciy?

Is what is being asked for a way, to select coordintes from one map, and copy them into another map? Like, have a file of coordinates, and the two maps, and let it run and do its job? Or is one looking for interactive (which I don't see how it is different then)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:14 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi punt,

It's been awhile since I've used the map editor. I don't recall it having the functionality I'm looking for, but I could be wrong (or it could just be that the interface doesn't easily lend itself to what I am talking about). I'll load it up tonight and take a look!

It would be funny if its been in there all along! :)

HR