Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:01 am 
Young
Young

I created a .bmp map following the procedures step by step in Rayandor's .pdf file and using dragon 11. (I even set my map to the old 6144x4096 x72dpi instead of the larger map size)

I indexed it using the dragon mod11 tables and started drawing my .bmp.

I filled the world with water -5, and my base land at grass 0.

I tried making some mountains and forests on a small island.

Things I noticed after I ran it in UOx3:

1- Uox3 would occasionally spout: "Static iteration error, invalid world" then I would fall through the floor, the screen would look like my bmp instead of tiles (especially the radar). If you teleported out of it, it was fine and you could walk. This was especially noticable next to coasts....which brings up #2.

2- Coast tiles didn't seem to be added. My coastline was just abrupt and jagged grass 0. I wonder if you are supposed to make your coast at grass 5? I had a lake in a mountain (water 5) surrounded by grass (10), and it had a nice cliff face in front of the water; however, when I walked to it, my PC would not be able to walk to it.

3- Forests: Forests were great! I loved your scripts; however, what are the threshold for when it adds trees and dosen't? My large forests always had tress, but my smaller forest patches surrounded by grass (probably 10 x 8 tiles) wouldn't have trees, just the funny colored ground.

4- mountains looked great. Using the "contract selection" feature created nice mountains, about the only thing I got to work decently.

5- Minax's fortress was still in the middle of my map, which makes me wonder if some multi's dont' get erased when you clear statics0 and staidx0??? Any ideas?

So are there any tips on how to make a more "fluid" map? Sorry if this post dosen't make sense, my time it is very late and I'm falling asleep.

Any tips and/or tricks are appreciated!
________
OG KUSH MARIJUANA STRAIN

Last edited by stranf on Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:14 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hey stranf :)

1) Did you make UOX3 read the new map as well? Also, did you change make sure the maps.dfn file had the proper sizes defined for your map?

5) UOX3 is probably loading the stadif#.mul/staidx#.mul files, after which it enables the patched mapfiles in connected clients, making them display additional things like minax fortress and the swamp in Yew (when it was still in the files). Either remove those files from the folder UOX3 reads the data-files from (unless it's the client directory!), or ... or... I forgot if there's a setting anywhere that turns them off :P Just remove the files. heh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:53 pm 
Young
Young

Thanks Xu....

I realized most of my problem was because I was using a Dragon mod 9 color chart and compiling with dragon 11. I didn't realize the color charts were different.

I had dragon re-write the staidx0 and statics0 files and remove the old stuff but still minax fortress stays (but city statics etc. are removed)

I will try to create a blank staidx and statics file when I get some time in the next few days.

In the meantime, is there anyway to do coasts? I like this program, but coasts are about the only thing now that I can't do yet.

Do you have to use UOcoast AFTER running dragon?
________
[url=http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Dodge_100_\Commando\""]100 \Commando\""[/url]

Last edited by stranf on Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:34 am 
Master
Master

1- I'm not related with UOx3, i use Run-UO, so i'm not helper in there.

2- If you properly use dragon mapgenerator and same properly freeze the statics after, eerything must be okay. Make sure you have Water2x and x2Water scripts checked up when you freezing the statics.

3- There are just 0.1% chance that each type of tree to be placed in each tile. If after running trough statics list there no any that penetrates this chance, tile will be blank. So there little chance to make trees in that little locations. If you really need them there, you can change the scripts or create them in game by hands.

5- There should be stadif*.mul and mapdif*.mul files, which adds additional tile patches and statics into map. You should remove, move them out or change their file resolution in order to stop them doing their work. Besides i'm not sure is there this files in UOx3 or not.

Just check other topics, there are lots of tricks to make fun maps.

"Be calm and silent, as Darkness care not of passions and lies. Be patient and cold, as Darkness exists out of borders of time and emotions. Just be yourself, as You are in the Darkness and Darkness is inside of you."
-Dark Ones Doctrine, 2001y (c)-