Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:15 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Alright, so I have a map i've been working on for years now. Its ready to move beyond the Painting Phase at last This map started on mod 8, went to mod 9, skipped 11 and went to UOL, and was finally finished with the map gen under the impression that map gen was the latest and greatest. Well, theres alot thats not working and I'd like some thoughts on solutions for getting these .bmps (terrain and alt) to a finished mul. Here are some problems i'm running into

1. A good portion of the map was intended to have yew forests. Map gen has no capacity for this. I believe one of the dragon mods or maybe UOL had this.

2. Statics (random art, trees and bushes and such) I'm finding very inadequit in mapgen. I can only get mixed forest to place trees. I need jungles, deserts, some control over the content of these randoms, their density etc. How can i go about this? Any possibility I could make the map with mapgen and have dragon sp do the randoms? I dont remember much how dragon worked.

3. Incomplete transitions. Mountain to water, lava to desert, swamp to water to name a few. Theres a good amount that I need that arent there. How hard is it to make transitions? Or are they comming out anytime soon?

4. My map is a map0.mul, why does mapgen always name it map4.mul? I've just been renaming it.

Again just looking for any insight or help anyone has to offer. Additionally if anyone wants to join in on tweaking this map and working on it with me feel free to drop me a line.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:09 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

rage88 wrote:

1. A good portion of the map was intended to have yew forests. Map gen has no capacity for this. I believe one of the dragon mods or maybe UOL had this.

It does have capacity. It just needs the data defined for it (artwork).

Quote:

2. Statics (random art, trees and bushes and such) I'm finding very inadequit in mapgen. I can only get mixed forest to place trees. I need jungles, deserts, some control over the content of these randoms, their density etc. How can i go about this? Any possibility I could make the map with mapgen and have dragon sp do the randoms? I dont remember much how dragon worked.

There is a weight and random control. They may need to be adjusted.

Quote:
3. Incomplete transitions. Mountain to water, lava to desert, swamp to water to name a few. Theres a good amount that I need that arent there. How hard is it to make transitions? Or are they comming out anytime soon?

yes, it is missing a lot of data.

Quote:
4. My map is a map0.mul, why does mapgen always name it map4.mul? I've just been renaming it.

It was done for testing purpose. Just never put it back. When rewritten, that will be updaed.

Bottom line, map generator has the potential to be one of the best available. However, it is lacking data sets. Without them, it isn't very useful. If you need to convert to UOL, or others, let me know, and I may be able to do some type of convertor. Until there are more datasets, it probably doesn't make a lot of sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:16 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Punt is right, Map Gen 2 has more capability than any other bmp-2-mul tool out there. Better yet, it is supported by the author! But he needs the community's support in building the transitions.

Right now I'm trying to organize an effort to complete the transition and data sets for Map Gen 2. Volunteers to help in this project will be appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:56 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

whats involved with making transitions, and also the artwork data, assuming I haven't done any programing in a long long long time. I'd help.

A converter to one of the more complete dragons might help for the time being. If you'd like a copy of the map punt your more than welcome to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:48 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

No, what I would like is the following:

A file that has dragon indexs that map to mapgenerator indexs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:52 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I'll see what I can put together.

What kind of information do you need? RGB values?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:03 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Hmm, after putting in some altitude changes in my caves i'm realizing something... is there just no such thing as alt changes for caves? Do you have to put in steps? whats the story?

I've also started doing all but my most common altitudes by hand, pixel by pixel. Man its alot of work but it looks great. The terrain work is what really makes the map come alive.

While I'm at it, anyone know where i could upload some screenshots?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:45 am 
Newb
Newb

rage88 wrote:
While I'm at it, anyone know where i could upload some screenshots?

I use http://www.photobucket.com, but if you just want to upload a single image or two perhaps something like http://imageshack.us/ would be better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:46 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

What I'm finding is that Map Gen 2 has some of the very basic transitions done, but most still need to be done. I think the random art files need to be set up too.

So as your working on your map, if you do happen to update any of the transitions to work properly, please send them my way!

Map Gen 2 is the best of the bunch, but it needs to have its config xmls completed to work properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:56 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

wheres a good link to learn about making transitions. I'll put in the time if i can figuer it out, but i'm not an experience programmer.