Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Direction
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:42 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Ok, just so people didn't think I totally walked away from existing projects!

I am currently working a new Transition Editor (the current one is very bad, and doesn't really support the some new attributes. In fact, it will remove them! It is only bad for certain transitions (coast lines, etc)).

Anyway, I realized I would never really start doing my development on where I wanted to go, unless I made a few "forced" changes.

1. First change was development is done on my Mac. So, I needed to update my mul accessors for the mac. I did it all in Objective-c, but then I realized I just couldn't walk away from all the old projects (well, in terms of windows support at least). So, I redid them as to support my client project, in C++, endian safe, to work on both. They appear to be working (it is optimized for read, the write ones are still Objective-C only).

2. Now, the client will be native Cocoa (that which isn't OpenGL , which isn't a lot). But, I brought back QT for continuing the WorldMaker studio line (again, to support windows).

So, where does this all leave me? I am currenting in work on the transition editor. It will preseve the old file (versus rewriting it), and will display the hash as it will be shown in the client (and one can see what each of the individual entries will look like as well). That is what I am shooting for at least. It will of course support Windows/Mac/Unix (big and small endian). When that is complete, I expect MapGenerator will be ready to starting getting into its "final" form. I plan to spool the images, so one can truely support hue maps if one wants. In addition, I will be looking at speed (it has gotten slow, may not be much I can do given all the indirect lookups we now do, but I have a few ideas). And of course I will revist the random art, given it appears to not be producing results as desired.

I want to also state, that this is a hectic work time for me, a lot of travel, so development time is limited during the week.

Apologize for the all the misstarts. I think I have reached a reasonable compromise, that can satifisy the current window users of the tools, and start to expand in the direction I want to investigate.

Enough rambling for now! Gone for week, will try to check in as time permits.