Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oblivion
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:39 am 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

Since several of us have recently gotten Oblivion, I decided I would share what I?ve figured out.

I made a hybrid mage-tank custom class, which works well because I can heal myself and throw fireballs at rats.

Tips:

The Arena seems pretty easy to compete in, if you know how to fight. It is a great way to make quick money (to me), but it is, obviously, risky.

Guards chase after you for a very long ways, and usually run faster. If you steal something, chances are, a guard will come after you even if nobody saw the act.

The mercantile skill seems worthwhile to me. I am able to sell stuff for a lot more money, and get stuff for less. Getting NPCs to like you obviously helps a lot.

None of the quests I?ve completed pay enough for them to be worthwhile compared to just killing things in dungeons, but they?re a lot of fun, anyway.

Pick up any wine you find in the fort ruins ? you can sell it for a lot as a part of a quest.

Blocking is probably my favorite move during combat. In most games, it is practically useless, but in this one, blocking actually stuns your opponent for a few seconds, which makes a huge difference against human opponents (especially in the arena).

?

Random comments:

It sucks that you can steal stuff so easily just by accidentally clicking on it (instead of something else).

Packhorses would be nice.

Anybody bought a horse yet, and are they worth getting?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:37 am 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Elder Scrolls III was the first game I ever fell in love with and played for years on end.

Looks like I might have to check out Oblivion. Thank you for stoking my crack habit Syd! :P

If it's like ES3 then you can wait till nightfall after the shops close to break in and steal everything in the shop and dump it into your wagon. I had a ship and a huge house in one of the major cities.

The quest were strickly for building your reputation with a given faction in the older games more than money making and I loved to hang out in the crypts killing bandits and monsters. With over 10,000 dungeons/grave yards it never grew old.

It was also designed the way a great game should be...one disk.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:53 am 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Dev you senile old bastard, you're thinking of Daggerfall (Elder Scrolls II not III). Elder Scrolls III is Morrowind. Oblivion is IV. Didn't anyone teach you your Roman numerals :P
You musta slept through Morrowind. It was worthwhile but in some ways Daggerfall rates higher in my mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:18 pm 
Master
Master

Although the folks on the ES forums can't believe it, I got mine on Thursday and haven't even installed it yet. lol

I'm trying to finish up Bloodmoon first (yes, I'm that obsessive) even though it likely has nothing to do with Oblivion. Or does it? I know I won't start as the Nerevarine there but I wanted to be sure I "got" any references to the past games when I play Oblivion. *nods*

Anyway, from what I've read on the ES forums, the new physics engine and NPC AI is wonderful. Really funny examples of both, listed on the threads. :)

-CMS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:15 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I got my Collector's Edition yesterday (but got another version before that, ahem) - and I've been playing a thief/archer-type character with limited magical abilities (for healing myself, mainly). 37 1/2 hours played so far, have only done a fraction of the main quest, I'm mainly going around in other places doing side-quests, exploring, figuring out new things :)

I'm a Gladiator in the Arena, Bandit in the Thieves Guild, Knight Sister in the Blades (yes, it's a female thief character), Apprentice in the Fighter's Guild, Associate of the Mages guild - and Knight-Errant of the White Stallion.

If you buy a horse, it will stick with you even when fast-travelling without being mounted, I think - at least that's what my friend told me. I've lost the few horses I've STOLEN heh - but they're good for getting around quickly if you haven't got fast-travelling ability to the place you want to go.

You CAN steal in this game without getting caught, just need the necessary skills - and timing ;) Don't steal in broad daylight, don't steal when a guard is nearby, etc.

Bloodmoon/Morrowind in general has nothing to do with Oblivion in the sense that playing that game first won't help you in any way - stand alone games in the same universe, with the same background story. And the story from one game crosses to the next one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:16 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Oops yeah I just got them mixed up, played both but I still liked Daggerfall the best.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:22 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Another thing I noticed was the amount of subtle references to sexual content in this game - in the form of obscure books or scrolls. Not to mention this one shopkeeper who came from the Morrowind-area who even asked me what the penalty for NECROPHILIA was in "these lands". She looked very relieved when my character answered "At least 500 gold", as if that was no amount to worry about at all :P

Guess the developers wanted us to really BELIEVE that this is a "world" of it's own, and not just a "game" ;P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:06 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Did you know that you can get a free horse from the first quest, when you deliver the amulet? There is a stables there and I've taken a horse after I've asked Jauffre (sp?) for some assistance.

It does stay with you when you fast travel. If you fast travel to a town, it will be stabled in the nearest stables as well.

I love the game, I'm messing around in the first Oblivion gate, and it is interesting. I think I'm tackling it a bit early. Oh well. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:18 am 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

I do not have as much time to play, or else I just play more slowly, because I am lagging behind you people.

I am stuck in Chorrol castle, trying to solve the missing painting mystery. I went back to get my free horse (which you get from another monk after asking assistance, which I did not do the first time :-P), and have been stuck trying to figure this damn thing out since. I have gotten as far as the painting supplies in the room, and the mysterious painting, but can find no other clues. I guess I am just not clicking hard enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:26 am 
Master
Master

*nods* I didn't expect the previous games to be any help in this one. Especially since it takes place in an entirely different area of the world. :)

I just like overhearing references to the previous places I've been. It's fun when something's mentioned that I've seen or had a part in.

Btw, you're still WAY ahead of ME. lol I just started playing it last night, finally. Just got out of the sewers and into the main town to sell some stuff so I wouldn't be overloaded when I head to Chorrol, since I plan on running the entire way so as not to miss anything. ;)

-CMS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:58 am 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

I have not figured out how you fast travel, and it is just as well, since I enjoy walking. On horseback, getting anywhere is quick enough, and I have yet to travel without happening upon something of interest, even on paths I have followed many times. To me, the emersion is quickly broken, if I suddenly begin to teleport about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:01 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

Has anyone done the fishing quest? I have tried, but can only find a few fish, and certainly not enough to supply the 12 scales. Also, they do not seem to respawn. Maybe I am just not looking well enough?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:05 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

You can fast-travel (from the map-tab) by clicking on the icons for locations you've visited once already. You can fast-travel to all the big towns immediately, since they're "known", but even if you get a hint about a new location far out in the wilderness you won't be able to fast-travel there until you've gone there on foot first.

If you're still stuck on the painting quest, here's a hint; Examine the dining hall closely, stick your nose to the floor ;P

Haven't seen any fishing quests yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:01 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

The fish do respawn, but after a while.

Try clearing out a dungeon, then wait a week in game, come back to it and see what monsters have spawned there. It is neat.

Oh, do you notice they removed levitation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:06 pm 
Master
Master

Sydius: Is that the fishing quest right outside the main city? I just got that one, too. Swam ALL over the *entire* large moat thing around the city and only found *two* of those little buggers. Then something odd happened to my graphics and I noticed if I tilt the camera a certain way I can see all the stuff under water as if the water isn't there and found several fish lying at the very bottom in various places.

Apparently, they won't attack you unless you get *really* close to them. Which, of course, means you have to have breathing potions to have time to dive down, aggravate them then swim back up to breathe before they kill you. LOL

-CMS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:54 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Sharlenwar wrote:
Oh, do you notice they removed levitation?

NO!!! :shock:

That was my primary get away after dark...run up the castle walls and jump! It was also handy getting around the dungeons in Daggerfall since you didn't have to worry about the rope bridges...damn...

As soon as I get an "english" version of the game or learn (or remember my 2 years of ) "french" then I will join the fun...*sigh*

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:21 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

They removed levitation? That sucks. I was really hoping that climbing was going back in (like in Daggerfall).

Anyways, I just got it last night (thank you bit torrent *cough*) it's amazing. While the game is still very much Morrowind with tweaks and stunning graphics, it is fantastic (but then again that's all I really thought Morrowind needed, some tweaks and stunning graphics). I actually feel guilty for not going out and buying it. Run Uwhat? I think even AO isn't going to get played much for a while (and just after I payed my account for a year, so much for saving money).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:24 am 
Young
Young

Oblivion feels like Daggerfall.
Oblivion rules. ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:31 am 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

I hit my first two bugs in a single hour:

A corrupt save-game that crashed upon load every time, and a crash when I approached the first Oblivion gate (from a distance).

Anyhoo... I dared to adventure into the Oblivion gate, even though I am a newb. Probably a bad idea, but I made it to the top of this tower, and there was this big, mean looking guy, who yelled at me and nearly killed me with his first hit, so I pushed him off the ramp and he fell all the way down and died. That was nifty, I thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:52 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

It'll be equally difficult (well, in theory - you get better equipment and skills I guess) later since the enemies you meet "level with you", i.e. you get a different set of enemies depending on your own level.

It's entirely possible to do the entire main story directly without ever doing a single side-quest as grind for better skills/equipment. :P

The only real bugs I've experienced so far is that Oblivion crashes every single time... I shut it down ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:58 am 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

Oh, right, it crashes on shutdown for me, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:42 am 
Young
Young

Do the Dark Brotherhood quests if you can... they're great. (I won't spoil it, but Oblivion takes it all the way)
Oh, and (though, minor spoiler...) be sure to check out the altars. :p
Almost feels like being back in Daggerfall... finding cults, covens etc. Pure yummy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:01 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

I fail to see how a metal pick could break every single time you miss a tumbler... bleh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:46 pm 
Master
Master

LOL

I know!! Sheesh! And then all the tumblers fall again. It's SOO frustrating. :)

Btw, I found out it's a WHOLE lot easier to find those blasted fish when you tweak the water clarity so you can actually SEE them. :)

Plus, tweaking the day/night length makes it a lot better, too; for me, at least. Running out of daylight after only 30 minutes was becoming tedious.

All in all, though, (even though I've only JUST gotten out of the main city and started exploring) I'm really enjoying it. Despite the occassional crashes to desktop.

-CMS

Edited to add a "t" that fell out of the word "blasted" ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:11 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

I'm considering starting over as a thief. There are just too many fun things to do as a thief.