Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eve Online
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:12 am 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

I recently downloaded Eve Online.

The newbie tutorial took me about three hours to complete, which is, by far, the longest newbie tutorial I have come across. I was getting bored by the end of it, and even when I did finish it, I felt that many things were still unexplained.

The graphics are very nice, though the planets could use some work. The lighting works well, and the warp special effect is cool. It is a very pretty thing to look at, though I do wish it had anti-aliasing capabilities (maybe I have just not found them).

There is no collision detection, which is a major frustration to me -- I routinely end up flying straight through planets and space stations without the least concern (well, except the first time). I would love it if the planets etc. actually had gravity and sucked you towards them if you were not careful.

The skill system is weird -- it works via real-world time, so you train even while not playing. That is good and bad. It is good because it means casual players like me can feel like I am not being left behind, but very bad because it is literally impossible to catch up to the people who have been playing the game for years.

The universe in the game is, well, exceedingly huge. Even the newbie ship has no problem going 250 meters per second, but at that speed, it seems to take forever just to approach one of the giant space stations from a nearby planet. Fortunately, all ships also have a warp drive, which is basically a "go very fast without controls" engine that shoots you from different planets and moons in a solar system in a relatively short period of time (with pretty effects). Going from solar system to solar system, though, would still take days, even with the warp engine, so they provide fancy star gate stations in every solar system that turn you into a beam of light and shoot you to another solar system instantly. The star gates are never next to each other in a solar system, though, so to get from one to another, you have to warp. Between warping to the next star gate, and then slowly approaching it, and then activating it, jumping multiple solar systems can take quite a while, and going from one end of the galaxy to the other would take an extreme amount of time. Fortunately, there is an autopilot, that figures out the best path to a destination (with the help of some suggestions, like to choose the safest or shortest route). This gives you the chance to get up and do the dishes while you travel.

Combat is almost entirely automated -- you lock on, you choose to orbit, you raise your shields, and then you click "fire" and the person with the better ship wins. Not much else to it.

The number one downside to me, though, is that you cannot get out of your ship. I would love to be able to get out and chat with other people in a bar on some space station -- but nooooooo... that, and the collision detection and the skill system almost make me want to quit.

I still enjoy it, though, for one simple reason -- it is a casual game I can enjoy while doing other things (such as programming, chores, TV, etc.). That sounds silly, but it is a nice to be programming, and occasionally check on my ship and do some things, and then go back to programming. Will I play this game long? Probably not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:23 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

The game is quite a bit like "Freelancer" which to me is hands down the best game MicroLimp ever produced. You can play it in single player or multi player mode and its basically the same.

There is a huge mod community for Freelancer and if you can still find the game its worth trying. We thought of trying Eve but we like games with more in depth play style.

Eve does use a very interesting skills system and the graphics are pretty good, considering its age its still a good game.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:23 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

It's easy to have very nice space graphics. Hard not to, really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:49 am 
Master
Master

Heh, i remember the one nice SS - Descent:Freespace. Altrough it is not quite new, for its date it got the great graphic and low requirements at all. I was very fun playing it, but now i cant find it in our LAN-nettwork, sad...

"Be calm and silent, as Darkness care not of passions and lies. Be patient and cold, as Darkness exists out of borders of time and emotions. Just be yourself, as You are in the Darkness and Darkness is inside of you."
-Dark Ones Doctrine, 2001y (c)-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:29 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Hey Syd, Eve Online Veteran here heehee.

The Tutorial, agreed. It dosent even approach production in eve. But it does answer all the initial initial questions heehee.

Graphics are getting a complete overhaul. Current computers will be able to handle most of the new graphics but the REALLY REALLY wild graphics will require Vista and DX10.

Collision detection in warp, true. Collision at any other point does exist with asteroids, gates, stations, other ships, etc.

Skills, want to catch upto them? It is possible actually. Raise your learning skills to 5 and the adv learning skills to 4. Get science 3, cybernetics 4, then spend 650mil isk on a set of +4 implants. Learning skills didnt even exist for the first year or so of eve. And most old school players from the first days of eve are infact down in deep 0.0 sec space engaging in player wars and whatnot. This means they usually don't have/use implants since they would be to expensive to replace everytime they get themselves killed.

Combat on the surface is how you describe it. But man oh man go deep below the surface and there are hundreds of equasions when in combat.

And as far as getting out of your ship, once the engine gets its overhaul they are discussing being able to walk around stations and also planetary travel/exploration.

Find me here:
Aula Persae
Outmode
Nathan Paige

Those are my three characters. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:34 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Paigelore wrote:
Nathan Paige

Could it be that you once was in a corp with a certain MrTuk ?? I remember that name...

However, the skill part sucks...I can play 24/7 and not get an edge over someone who plays 1 minute/day to swap learning. Except for game feeling, but that hardly counts in a skill based environment.

Greetz
Planet_Jeroen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:16 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Nope, nathan is still in the starter corp.

And while yes skill wise you wouldnt get ahead I guarantee you that someone who plays 1s a day is going to find themselves with the skills to use that which they cannot afford. Plus in all likely hood you'll either have awesome equipment looted from your kills, and/or be down in some huge freakin war having the time of your life :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:27 am 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

Meh, I got bored and canceled my account. It was fun, but I just feel left behind and so very alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:25 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Sydius wrote:
Meh, I got bored and canceled my account. It was fun, but I just feel left behind and so very alone.

Exactly... only having stuff because you mine 3 hours in a booooooring roid field and get equipment and skillbooks in return, while some "I had an account from day 1" guy is having all the fun protecting your bored @$$.

OR, having to stay back cuz you'll end up in an escape pod all the time...

OR having to play it at LEAST a year, before you can get even close (solo) to .0 space without disintegrating on arrival.

While what you say about funds seems true, you seem to forget that $15 goes a long way on ISK :/ Oh well...I had some fun at it, but I rather have Privateer Online... let your flying tell your skill by your fragrate.

Greetz
Planet_Jeroen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:18 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

If and when they come out with planet and star bases with actual characters I would jump on this game to check it out.

Eve has always interested me but due to the restrictions on character interaction it turned me off. If I wanted to just fly around in a ship and blow stuff up or do the gimpy PVP thing I could log into a "Freelancer" server and play for free. Its almost the same game minus the skill system.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:13 pm 
Young
Young

I read about the graphics update in the works for eve... and it really strikes me as odd, regarding Vista. Why on earth base the best stuff on users running vista? (and what exactly is it that it requires vista for in the first place?)

I was happy in 2k... eventually ended up in xp, now I'm happy in xp. The only reason I'd 'need' to have upgraded from 2k to xp was that support for 2k was/is ending, aswell as everything seemingly being aimed solely for xp. It's being 'pushed out in the cold', basically... not through technical shortcomings. Just as I can't seem to find any reason for the xp -> vista jump, either.

So why's eve suddenly gonna 'help' on pushing for yet another OS change? :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:43 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Ok I broke down and did the 14 day free test drive they are offering and I must say that the game is very complex...(understatement).

There is much more than meets the eye and the community is very large and active. Its one of the first and only games where I've seen guilds/corps offering to "Pay" players to join them. They even offer free training and ships for them to use. That in itself is amazing....

Now that I'm getting the hang of the ingame features and how to find locations for quest and mining its really not that bad. The inital tutorials are a must...

I'm going to play around with this one for a while and see what I can see :)

It does bother me that your locked in a ship and there is not surface or player to player interaction other than ship to ship. If they expand the game to cover those I think it will stomp the crap out of most of them out there.

There have been around 300-400 people in chat, its hard to feel alone even while mining a rock in the middle of no where and when a ship explodes...it looks pretty damn cool!

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:54 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

if you think ship explosions are cool, wait until your in a mission and destroy a structure. oui. the explosion then is wicked

whats your character name?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:09 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Hehe Dev Viperrious of course! :P

There is a character named after me in every game I play, I also have two others but I haven't played them yet.

Just joined a new Corp and I'm member number 4, so we'll see how it all works. The economy seems very detailed which I find interesting.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:14 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

This game is like Pac Man....

Simple but in depth and very addictive.

Got Podded the first time the other day after running into some pirates....8 against a freighter, sort of cool seeing a little egg flying through space 13 jumps back to home.

The game world is HUGE! They were not bullshitting about how big it is and it takes a considerable amount of time to move across the game world.

The economy is insane...who ever developed it went to great lengths to make it as real as possible.

The missions are very straight forward with no twist as far as I have seen which is sort of a let down.

The features the game has itself are very impressive, in game "evemail", in game browsers, in game searchable database. Everything is cross referenced very nicely and it even has a log.

More later.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:54 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

* Aula begins carrying a baseball bat around just incase Dev Viper and Lebens get any "ideas" *

Ahem, anywho heehee. Aula Persae, my primary character is combat oriented. 9.6million skill points. Her skill points are almost entirely in combat though to be honest her current skill set would have her piloting gallente bships slightly better than her own caldari bship. Reason? 3.2million in gunnery versus 800k in missiles. Go figure :P

She just moved from her lvl4 qual +18 agent in .9 space down to a lvl4 qual +17 agent in .3 space. Much more profitable too. Agent mission difficulty and rewards are based on level, quality, and .sec space the agent is in. Much more excitment in my game experience heehee.

When she dosent have a male and a female trying to get her into a dress.... * glances at viper *

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:28 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Hehe I just watched :wink:

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:22 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

You encouraged him. Thus you got what you got and Aula now wears a pistol at her side at all times when she's in Shea's Bar.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:55 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

I dunno....I'm starting to like this kilt, lets the air circulate much better. :P

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:21 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

viper, did you see the edit jude did to leben's avatar the next morning to show the "hair cut" he gave her the night before? heehee!

http://dl1.eve-files.com/media/players/ ... 164551.jpg
http://dl1.eve-files.com/media/0606/leb ... tubble.jpg

She saw it and shot at him the following morning accidentally hitting david instead.

Was hilarious :)

I've made a second character. Aula is the good girl, works for the state, in the employ of the navy, etc, etc.

My alt...well 2 days old and she's joined a corp of pirates who work for the sansha's nation faction. They took her in and are letting her run the agents until she gets good enough skill wise to join in their border patrols :)

I can't wait :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:03 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Yeah I heard Lebens ranting about it in chat. Just an FYI I'm no longer in Ganymeade Tech.

That little shop of cross dressers pissed me off the other night and I damn near quit the game. Instead of letting them spoil my fun though I'm breaking out on my own.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:43 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

good! lebens...is proving to be a considerably odd fellow. already purposely uninstalled vent just to say "sorry, cant listen to you rant and say stupid stuff anymore"

oh yes, if you need to reach me my eeevvviiilll alt is named Auora Paige.

just incase you didnt know :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:10 am 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Well I started my own Corp called "The Veiled Society" and will play by my lonesome for a while till I get the hang of the game.

I'm already stocking up on Blue Prints for ships and equipment and have double what my old Corp had in their hanger. Last night I went shopping and bought 2-10 of each Gallente Frigate and have tons of drones and other ship equipment. Indy 1-5 Blue Prints are waiting in the research lab as well.

Figure the worst I could do is sell off the Corp if I leave the game for good, its not like its that hard to come up with the funds.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:25 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Umm, one concern presents itself. Even if your a corp of 1, every other corp in the game can now declare war on you.

Auora Paige is about to become extinct, next time you log on check aula persae's bio heehee.

Hey if you ever decide you want to go 0.0, let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:13 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

They can declare war all they want, that doesn't mean I have to fight. It cost them money not me so they would be the ones shit out of luck. I'm a patent man and can wait them out forever...that or infiltrate their Corp and axe the CEO then take everything like that other guy did.

Either way I win....I always win... :twisted:

As for 0.0 space, I haven't made it quite that far yet, only down to 0.2 and I took up a home in 0.7 because of the huge Omber deposites and its a low traffic area.

I'll check out your bio later tonight.

Dev