Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:23 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

First, in case it matters, let me give you a bit of info. I run a POL based server and am using 2D client version 504c.

I have run into problems when adding art to the clothing area of the gumpart.mul file. It seems that the critter animations share slots with the clothing gump art slots. Example: if I place a new clothing art at the relative slot 0x9 (absolute location C359) in the gumpart file it causes demons to appear in game as the animation of the new clothes. For a short while we had demons that looked like dresses attacking folks. Now that might be a neat idea for creating possessed (and deadly) clothing if that was the intended idea but it wasn't. This is now causing some mounts to become invisible when they are ridden by players. All but one of our horses and several others are not working properly.

The second problem is that some of the animations for the new clothes I have added disappear when the character sits down. I have edited the body.def file and the anims work alright while the character is doing any other activity. I was told that the art had to be placed within a certain range of addresses in the gumpart file and I did make sure it was placed in the range I was told to place it.

I have not added any new animations for the new clothes. I simply assigned currently existing animations to new clothing items, using dress, skirt, shirt and skirt anims for new clothes of the same type.

So here's my questions:

1. How can I find out which locations in the gumpart file are going to conflict with creature animations?

2. What can I do to get the animations to display correctly for characters when they sit down?

I would greatly appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks.

Titus 2:13

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:44 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Animations don't share space. So if you are seeing clothing animations instead of demons it sounds like you overwrote the demon animation with your custom clothing animation. Either that or there is a problem server-side with the demon scripts using the wrong ID.

You will want to also check out the files body.def and bodyconv.def. Body.def makes "copies" of animations and assigns them to a valid ID number. Bodyconv.def takes animations from anim2, anim3, etc and assigns them to a valid ID number. So you may have used an animation ID that looked like it was empty, but was actually in use by either body.def or bodyconv.def. If you do a search on body.def and bodyconv.def you'll probably turn up some posts on this topic.

The problem with animations losing their clothing when they sit is a limitation in the client. Your custom clothing needs to have gumps that are in the range of 50,000-50,999 for the male versions, and 60,000-60,999 for the female versions. Any clothing gumps that fall outside this range are not supported for "sitting" by the client and will not appear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:02 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have a dress at 50342 decimal. I have placed the same art at the corresponding location in the female art area. I assigned the animation for a regular dress both in the gumpart.mul in Mulpatcher and body.def. When Admin Yukiko equips it (she a female character) it appears in game and on the paperdoll properly until she sits down. At that point she becomes naked in game.

The animation info from body.def is as follows:
#New Dress
342 {447} 0

I placed the dress at 0xC4A6 in the gumpart file. That's 50,000 + 342 in decimal which is 0x156 + 0xC350 (The start of the male clothing gump area) and at location 0xEBB6 which is exactly 10,000 decimal higher than the location in the male area.

After reading your post I even went so far as to assign the dress animation to 10342 as well as 342 thinking that maybe that was necessary but the animation disappears in both instances.

So I am at a loss to figure this one out.

Thanks for your response though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:56 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

A few ideas to try:

Use an Anim ID that is between 400-999. 400+ is the range of animations for "people and accessories".

Also, make sure the "wearable" flag is checked in tiledata.mul.

Try these 2 things and let me know if that does the trick!

Otherwise, you seem to know how to do the math and the body.def entry correctly. Generally speaking, if you can pick up the item, equip it, and get your custom gump on the paperdoll and your animation copy on the animation, then everything is right.

The step you took to move the dress animation to 10342 wasn't needed at all, there should be nothing extra or special needed for the sitting animation other than to make sure the animation ID/gump IDs are in the right range.

The art item for your wearable that you pick up in game can be placed anywhere there is an empty spot, it doesn't have to be placed at the same ID as the gump. It's the tiledata entry that points the art item to the right animation, and then animation + 50,000 = male gump, + 10,000 = female gump.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:42 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks.

Yep, I understand about the art tiles for wearables not being "place sensitive" but that is a good point to state for those who may be reading this looking for solutions. I think the wearable flag is set as well as the armour flag but I will check the wearable again.

As far as the InGame animations that are applied to the little character I get those from Inside UO in the "people and accessories" area of animations and as I recall all are between 400 and 999.

The odd thing is that some of my clothes' animations (one atleast) do stay on my character when she sits down.

I understand that what I (and many others) are trying to do is beyond the intentions of OSI/EA but GEEZ!!! Why did they have to do things the way they did???

I'd give a hefty donation if someone would write a client that looked like the EA client but made it easier to add art and other custom things to it. Heck I don't want fancy 3D junk and moving water. I would be happy with everything looking like it does in the standard client but giving me some flexibility in adding things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:51 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I mentioned the "People and Accessories" thing because the ID number you have assigned in body.def (342) is not in that range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:20 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

342 is the location within the clothing area of the gumpart file (500342 - 50000). I asssume by animation you are referring to the ingame animation that appears on the small character in the game window. 447 in the braces is the animation for the long dress listed in Inside UO's "people and accessories" anumation list.

Did I miss something maybe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:07 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Yukiko wrote:
342 is the location within the clothing area of the gumpart file (500342 - 50000). I asssume by animation you are referring to the ingame animation that appears on the small character in the game window. 447 in the braces is the animation for the long dress listed in Inside UO's "people and accessories" anumation list.

Did I miss something maybe?

You're basically dealing with 3 different types of artwork.

1. The animation (which is actually a bunch of individual art frames, these are all the art frames that represent your character and its equipment moving, running, fighting, etc.)

2. The gump art (paperdoll)

3. The tile art (the art within the game that represents the equipment, this is what you pick up and carry in game). The tile art has tiledata flags in tiledata.mul.

Remember that the AnimationID + 50,000 = Male Gump ID.

In this case, it's 342 (the new AnimationID you assigned in Body.def) + 50,000 = 50,342.

Since 342 is not in the people & accessories range (400-999) that may be why the sitting animation is not working for that item.

Instead of 342, try using an empty animation ID between 400-999, move the gump to the new location (animID + 50,000) and change the tiledata pointer to point at the new AnimID - and then see if the sitting animation works after that.

It's easiest to ALWAYS start with the blank animation ID you will be using first, since all the other numbers (except the tile art ID) are dependent on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:35 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I hope you'll understand when I say "This is bloody confusing."

I thought that any place between 50,000 and 50,999 was alright for placing new paperdoll art.

This really puts a damper on the number of things I can add to the art.

*sighs*

OK. I'll give it a try. The hard part is finding a place that won't conflict with some animation or creature that EA has remapped in one of the three def files.

*shakes head*

Thanks HellRazor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:55 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

HellRazor,

Thanks for the information. It seems to have fixed my problem.

It should be noted however that you can't use the first 4 locations (400-403) as those are the graphics for male, female and ghost etc. I mention this because I had forgotten that and so I assume others might as well.

Again, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:34 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Great! Glad we were able to find the problem! :)

Yeah it can be very confusing. Understanding the animations and how all the pieces fit together is probably one of the most difficult parts of editing the client.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:37 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

You're telling me!

Now on to binary space partitioning...

*looks for the old Doom editor manuals*
*laughs*