runuo 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
uox3 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
something else 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 12
 Post subject: shard emu scripting
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:53 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Alright, so I'm shopping for an emu and after revisiting sphere and checking out uox3 and runuo I'm left a bit confused. I'm obviously gonna have to learn to script in one of these emu's. The problem is I don't know programing, I'm concerned about the learning curve. I used to know html/css/dhtml with some perl/js but dont even remember a single line of code.

So how about some thoughts on the effort it would take to learn scripting for the various emus.

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:47 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

If you have known perl/js in the past, then UOX3's scripting language might be relatively easy to learn for you - seeing as it uses the C JavaScript engine as it's scripting engine :)

An example of an event in uox3 attached to an item and fired when a user doubleclicks said item:
Code:
function onUse( pUser, iUsed )
{
   pUser.TextMessage( "I dbl-clicked an item!", true, 0x0482 );
   return false;
}

The "true" in the TextMessage indicates that the textmessage should be broadcasted to everyone in the vincinity of the character, and the "0x0482" is the color of the text sent. The "return false;" part tells UOX3 to ignore any hard code that ought to execute when a user doubleclicks the item (i.e. overrides UOX3's hardcoded functionality for that item).

For example scripts written by others, check UOX3's Script Vault, and also check UOX3's JavaScript Documentation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:54 am 
Master
Master

Well, personally, I use RunUO, but I wouldn't describe it as easy to learn unless you're comfortable programming and good with learning new languages. But if you don't mind a fairly steep learning curve, it strikes me as the most powerful (sorry, Xuri). But, it is a steep learning curve...

Between Sphere and UOX3, I'd use UOX3. It's always seemed more flexible and "real" to me, while still being easy to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:51 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

All 3 emulators will offer the same amount of customization. You won't get source code with sphere as you would with RunUO and UOX3, but if you cannot program then it wouldn't do you any good anyways.

There's nothing that cannot be scripted in any of the 3.

Sphere:
PROS - the learning curve is very small, it's easy and you can dive in and start editing. The more complex your scripts, the more you'll have to learn. There's a huge community, and if you don't come across as a total loser looking for handouts, there's plenty of people willing to help you with problems. There's oodles of publically downloadable scripts for sphere. There's many many programs compatible with it for gm tools, mul editing, etc. The rumours about it being limited or weaker than the others are simply not true, it's a strong scripting language and can do anything you want, assuming your goal for UO isn't to script instant messengers that'll ICQ people...
CONS - once you've mastered the language, it's useless to you for anything other than sphere. while it will provide a basis for you of proper if/else structures, the fundamentals of programming, etc.... it's still just a scripting language usable only in one program.

UOX3:
PROS - You already knew js, it's scripted in js, it'll be something akin to re-learning how to swim or ride a bike :) It's open source, so if you ever did get the urge to program, you can edit or fix things. Xuri works on it, if something's broke you can just harrass him here :twisted: You'll have a solid mastery of javascript once you use it enough, this can be used elsewhere in life.
CONS - The community is smaller, at least it was.. I haven't looked lately ;) There's not as much freely available support or pre-made scripts for it. It's a steeper learning curve than sphere, but only if you cannot remember all the javascript you did know.

RUNUO:
I'll let someone else give it, I'd be too biased with the CONS and not the PROS :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:28 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Well I prefer RunUO. People say it's the steepest learning curve. I suppose that's true having to learn C#, but I found it easier to dive into than the other emus. Then again I took, even if I failed, some C++ so it was a similar atmosphere for me.

As far as the software itself goes I find it stable and rather simple to work with. There's virtually no setup and you can pretty much run it out of the box.

The cons, in my opinion, lie primarly with the community. The devs are not very friendly. At least some of them aren't. You can never ask a question about a script you'd like to make until you have at least made part of it and are simply stuck on a section. Otherwise they'll accuse you of asking to have it made for you and completely disregard you. So you'll need to learn C# -before- getting in and asking for help for the most part.

I could keep going but the above is rather indicative of the general attitude of the community if you ask me.

So in summary RunUO is good -if- you think you can learn C# and generally work with minimal community help. If you want a solid, useful community, I suppose UOX is the best to go for since Xuri is easy user-friendly. *g*

As for Sphere, I have no idea. When I was hanging around they had quite a few issues, many with scripters getting up in arms about who owned what. I haven't been there in years so I can't say what it's like today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:41 am 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Ive used RunUO since the first beta, and have not had any one single regret or second thought over using it. In the years of working with it, there has never been any boundries or such that prevented us to develop whatever we set out to create. (basicly speaking about the code part)

If I was to start out somewhat fresh to them all though, I would very seriously have my foot towards UOX*. Xuri and his partners have done just an outragious amount of work with it latley. You wouldnt be dissapointed there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:44 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

So i've decided to give uox3 second try and it went pretty well. Just a few questions as far as building go. Is there a way to tile an area with a set z but i can select an area by clicking on the map like with pandora's box for run uo? I found having to type in the coordinates in worldbuilder kinda cumbersome. Also is there a way to make the building items movable so i can drag them around. Its a pain making fixes when you have to 'remove every item instead of just dragging it into my pack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:16 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Those questions are probably better suited for the UOX3 forums, but:

'ALLMOVE ON will allow you to drag any (non-static) item.

How exactly does pandora's box for run uo let you tile an area at a specific Z level by clicking on the map?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:09 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

the command pandora sends to the client reads like this

[tilez 50 static 250 set movable true hue 0 light {light}

basically in pandora's box you select the z height to place at and whether or not you want the items to be movable and then you just do two bounding box clicks on the map and it tiles the items at the z you selected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:37 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hm. Based on your description, I've now scripted a new command for UOX3 (which will be included in the next version, still fine-tuning and debugging it) which follows this syntax:
'RNDTILE <startID> <endID> <hue> <Z>(optional) <movable true/false>(optional)

The three first arguments must be included (though startID and endID can be the same), the two latter are optional. If Z isn't included, the Z level of the second target location (when selecting area to tile in) will be used. If movable status isn't included, the default movable status of the item will be used. A hue value of 0 will use the default hue of the item. Each item will get a random ID from <startID> to <endID>, if they differ.

I will also include options to use this command in the next version of WB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:45 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

So Xuri is the man, it's settled. Guess it's uox3 for my server.