Journeyman
Journeyman

Is this possible?

Ronin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:58 am 
Young
Young

Yes, shallow water is just those brown map tiles placed with water statics ontop while ocean is a water maptile directly.

Go dig in the mod11 scripts and you can see how it's done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:46 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

You would have to replace all the water to x and x to water scripts. You also need to make a new group for the current water (maptile) and add in the shallow water. Basicly you wind up with mod11 though, and all the other scripts in mod11 are improved versions of mod9. What are you trying to achieve? If you just want the altitudes all you have to do is modify the maptrans file.

I have a much better system almost finished for Mapgenerator though which is going to generate a true OSI coastline. Will work with cliffs and all. There are a few special transitions that I have to finish working out for the basic system (3 of them to be exact) and then punt has to figure out how to code the special pass that fixes the altitude on the statics when you have high cliffs going into water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:06 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

No i am making my map with MapGen. Just wondering if its possible. In case i get my map done before mapgen2 is release :)

Plan B. Basicly :)

Ronin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:11 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

check the data/terrain.xml file, it has all the current palette index listed there. there is a shallow water entry.. far as I remember atm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:43 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Even in its current state Mapgenerator is far more powerful than Dragon.
I don't just say this because I'm one of the developers (I had a hand in developing Dragon, I wrote mod11 by myself, and I was a developer for UOL at one point as well).

punt is a great programmer (even though he hates to hear it :P ) and since I have worked extensively with the prior tools and know all of their limitations (I also have had numerous discussions here about what does and doesn't work and know what all the common wishlists and bitchlists are) and we are working together to incorporate all of the features that a full featured mapgenerator should have.

From a code standpoint it already does far more than any other program. It is rock solid, I have yet to make it crash even when I've input garbage for data, it runs fast but doesn't tie up your entire computer (it will only use 50% of your available CPU cycles, and it does support hyperthreading/multiple CPU). About the only code changes left on it are for the new coastlines.

Data is another story. I am still going through converting Dragon/UOL trans and/or creating new ones. While anyone can create their own transitions and we have a rudimentary wizard, I am still finishing the 3-way template, coastline scripts and cave entrances (old scripts were crap). Ideally I will have a transition package that will need very little changing or adding too (mostly for creative specials and new terrains), because we have made it so that you can have multiple terrain types for say forest for example but not have to clone and edit the entire set of scripts each time. You'll just specify the new terrain to use the forest hash but your own art file and you are done.