Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:32 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Map Generator 2 supports hue ides on any Art tile.

The hue value is part of the file format. Whether applying the hue is a signifcant impact to the client, I am not aware.

Hopefully tonight (late) or tommorrow a transition editor and wizard will be available, for data development.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:42 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

yes, you can. I suppose the only real issue in doing this would be the larger static file size.. but thats really not a big issue.

Best method I think would be to basicly (since this is not a standard script for the tool) add a custom palette color to the terrain palette. You can do this within the Terrain.xml file in the data folder.
Then create a script to go with it would be using static water tiles, set to the hue you want. You would then paint your ocean with this new palette color, rather than the standard ocean color by default.

Or, you could modify the default ocean script to use static tile with your hue, I guess.

Please keep in mind that I am still fairly new with this tool, and have not had a lot of experience with it either.

Stormcrow?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:52 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Dian wrote:
yes, you can. I suppose the only real issue in doing this would be the larger static file size.. but thats really not a big issue.

Best method I think would be to basicly (since this is not a standard script for the tool) add a custom palette color to the terrain palette. You can do this within the Terrain.xml file in the data folder.
Then create a script to go with it would be using static water tiles, set to the hue you want. You would then paint your ocean with this new palette color, rather than the standard ocean color by default.

Or, you could modify the default ocean script to use static tile with your hue, I guess.

Please keep in mind that I am still fairly new with this tool, and have not had a lot of experience with it either.

Stormcrow?

I'll do exactly what you say

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:56 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

If you want to add a hue to the Art tiles, in the transition files, for the Art entries for that transition, you can add the Hue="###" attribute to any Tile tag

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:12 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

I cant remember right off, but it may be a good thing to not if this hue entry is meant to be a Hex or a Dec entry. punt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:20 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

The art file will be the same size with our without hue (the space is allocated, just a hue value of 0 is used).

In the Map Generator 2 data files, any number entry is considered decimal, unless proceeded by a 0x (for hex).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:28 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

oops, just saw my typo up there, meant "this might be a good thing to note..."

Thats exactly where I going, if the hue entry needed to be a Hex or Dec. in the script. Good to know that you can enter either format.

The art file I had made mention of being larger though.. I was refering to the actual Statics.mul file. If you created a world map that used Static art tiles for oceans, rather than Map land tiles, the statics.mul file would be a lot larger in size. This is only an issue if you have a lot of Dial-up users that need to patch the files to play the shard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:08 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Actually I haven't had occassion to test the hues yet, but it does need to be done. punt?

Otherwise, yes basiclywhat Dian said will work. Bear in mind that your entire ocean will have to be static tiles (you'd be using something similar to the shallow water terrain for all of it) this is going to blow your static files up by quite a bit. You'll have to clone the shallow water scripts (assigning a new hash) and change the hues on all the tiles, you'll probably want to change to dark coasts as well.

As far as the readiness of the data, you can always use the UOL 1.1 data set (although I don't recommend it....it needs a lot of cleanup). Most of it is based off of transition scripts for Dragon Mod11. punt is uploading my dataset with it every time he makes a change, but bear in mind right now we are mainly testing things and punt seldom has the current data. I am making changes daily but it still is not complete. We are still also looking at methods to address the coastline problems (the last is that the current method only works correctly when the land is 5 higher than the water around it). Anyone who is interested in using it be sure to keep up on the forums. Right now as Dian is the only other person currently testing I just email him new data. When there is enough interest I will make arrangements to make data changes more readily available, otherwise the distro will be there for download when it is done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:56 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Statics can definitely (and easily) hold colors as everyone said, however that cave floor isn't recolored it's a new tile :p

As far as renaming them goes, if all your water is gonna be green with the name 'acid' just go into the tiledata and rename them there, I'm not 100% positive but I'd think that would work.

There's not that many water tiles, you wouldn't spend that long if you just saved each one to bmp, recolored it, and patched it in as a new tile with the new name you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:56 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Anybody got any hard estimates on how much larger it may make the statics file? About how much space does 1 static tile take up?

Would creating a green "water-terrain" tile cut down on this significantly? But then I have to worry about people patching their graphics files?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:59 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Nope, but if you're sending out a map and statics anyways, the extra few mb won't make much of a difference :) We have a ton of statics on my shard, I'd guess the majority are colored something other than default, and a bunch of them are custom artwork.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:06 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

So an entire ocean of hued statics may only add like, 10 or 12 MB?

And plus, dial-up users, if they even exist by now, should surely be used to getting the shit end of the stick by now right? It's a very fast paced world and they go very slowly, we shouldn't even take them into account right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:21 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

With statics, the connection speed of the players wouldn't matter. What would matter, would be the speed of their computer/the amount of RAM they have. The more statics in an area, the more taxing it will be to run the client in that area. But generally it's not really that noticable, even with a large amount of statics in a small area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:32 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Xuri wrote:
With statics, the connection speed of the players wouldn't matter. What would matter, would be the speed of their computer/the amount of RAM they have. The more statics in an area, the more taxing it will be to run the client in that area. But generally it's not really that noticable, even with a large amount of statics in a small area.

Oh great, this sounds even worse. So if your out sailing your boat in the middle of the ocean your going to lag?

@$%!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:45 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Why don't you just copy the water tiles, recolor them, patch them in with new color/name, and add them as default map tiles. The kind that go in the map. That would be exactly the same "lag" as normal oceans would be.

As for "not thinking of dialups" I am one :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:56 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Nebu wrote:
Anybody got any hard estimates on how much larger it may make the statics file? About how much space does 1 static tile take up?

Each Art tile takes seven bytes in the mul file.

Last edited by punt1959 on Fri May 05, 2006 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:10 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Nebu wrote:
Xuri wrote:

Oh great, this sounds even worse. So if your out sailing your boat in the middle of the ocean your going to lag?

@$%!

Think about it.. do you lag when you run through town, from the buildings surounding you? no.. so, do you think that on a boat, that on screen has one static tile per square is going to be too much? no. you wont lag from this. your talking about 50 tiles or somthing on screen, compared to running through town with 100's or static tiles to each building, within that screen. think.compare.learn.do

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:19 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

punt1959 wrote:
Nebu wrote:

Each Art tile takes seven bytes in the mul file.

So basically, if you filled a standard UO Map, with nothing but static water tiles on every tile, you'd end up with about 205 megs of data, is that correct? God that's phallically huge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:15 am 
Master
Master

RoseThorn wrote:
Why don't you just copy the water tiles, recolor them, patch them in with new color/name, and add them as default map tiles. The kind that go in the map. That would be exactly the same "lag" as normal oceans would be.
This sounds likes the best idea to me... You could make the m sailable or not, as you please, as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:51 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I highly doubt you'd end up with 205mb statics, a flat plain ocean of one tile per square is a shitload of info less than the map and statics I use, and they're definitely nowhere near that size. I don't understand why you're so determined to put the basic features of the map (like oceans) in statics anyways, they belong in the map file not statics.

If you look at the map0.mul, it's 75-76mb in size, if you rar it or zip it, it shrinks down to anywhere from 1mb to 15mb in size. If you have an entire map of straight flat water from one end to the other, the map0.mul would compress to less than a meg, if you have every single tile different from each other, it'll compress to 20+ megs (heh, I dun think it's even possible to have them ALL different). Our map has a lot of detail on it, and it's got a lot of land and very little water comparitively, and it's only 10mb or so rar'd.

SO if you really want to make half your shard green acid oceans, EDIT/PATCH THE TILES and put the ocean in your map file.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:12 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I don't want to create a custom art file. I'd rather just use the resources available. I don't really want acid oceans if I can make the water a custom shade of murky green instead. Because then I could have green waterfalls, etc.

I'm going to fill up an entire map with static watertiles in MapGenerator 2 when it gets released soon and see how big the file is.