Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Swamp Oceans
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:24 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Guys, I want to make a swamp ocean for my shard, however, how will the coastlines come out in dragon? What's the best way to make the smooth transition, between swamps and grass and dirt and sand? The land will be a few Z's higher than the swamp water...

I originally wanted to make Acid oceans, which could probably be easier because it behaves like water, but I'm not sure if Dragon supports them yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:38 am 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

Are there graphics for acid?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:56 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Yes, I think they came with Mondains legacy.

But I have a problem, everytime I put down a swamp it just makes cave tiles :? and sand doesn't come out as sand it comes out as sandstone tiles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:25 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

If you want a real good suggestion, I would simply hold off from using Dragon. In a matter of days punt will have a solid version of the new Map Generator ready for use. While keeping in mind there will be some things here and there to work out still, you will more than likely be able to take your map from bmp, to map0.mul to game. Meaning this new tool will damn near (if not completely) remove the need for using a map editor to finish it in many cases. (yes, thats a bold statement, but realistic)

Id say, hold yourself back to the planing stage just for a couple/few more days. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:27 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Dian wrote:
If you want a real good suggestion, I would simply hold off from using Dragon. In a matter of days punt will have a solid version of the new Map Generator ready for use. While keeping in mind there will be some things here and there to work out still, you will more than likely be able to take your map from bmp, to map0.mul to game. Meaning this new tool will damn near (if not completely) remove the need for using a map editor to finish it in many cases. (yes, thats a bold statement, but realistic)

Id say, hold yourself back to the planing stage just for a couple/few more days. :)

Is it really gonna be in the next couple days, like this week, or am I gonna end up waiting a month. People always say "Oh just wait for the next version" and then the next version ends up delayed and delayed and nothing gets done. I'm still waiting on RunUO 2 and didn't start with RunUO 1 back in April

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:58 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

This is not Orbsydia, or RunUO. I completly understand where your comming from though. I cant say exactly when, but there should be a first full working version released this week or weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:03 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Dian wrote:
you will more than likely be able to take your map from bmp, to map0.mul to game.

What about from map0.mul to bmp? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:11 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

The Mapgenerator 2 that is available for download at www.demuria.com/punt/mapmaker is all ready operable enought to get started. It will generate the terrain image for you to start drawing, and then calculate the altitude for you to draw.

Right now we are working out the final transistion bugs, and deciding if we need to do a second pass (probable) to address coast lines (to keep you from doing following up editing).

But make no mistake, it is a work in progress. But the goal is to be more refined with each day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:39 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Xuri wrote:
Dian wrote:
you will more than likely be able to take your map from bmp, to map0.mul to game.

What about from map0.mul to bmp? :)

Hey I remember you, you were the guy who built that WorldBuilder and were notorious for starting but never finishing things

That mapgenerator can't find mingwm.dll

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:03 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Correct. You need to download the support files at the WorldMaker site (the ftp is for rapid development access).

That is over at http://worldmaker.ryandor.com under the download section.

You may also want to get the latest data from stormcrow. However, if you are just making your map (drawing it), the data set includes should be good enough (terrain.xml/altitude.xml is all one needs for that).

It will generate the necessary terrain.bmp, and then you draw your map on it. Then generate the altitude.bmp (based on your updated terrain.bmp), and it will generate a starting altitude for you to edit.

The plattes are under the data swatch directory, and it generates for photoshop, gimp, and pal format for paintshop pro.

One can montor the development and decide for oneself if the next "release" is likely to be around the corner. The code and development is always open to all.

Stormcrow and others may be able to give you more information on using the program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:13 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Nebu wrote:
Hey I remember you, you were the guy who built that WorldBuilder and were notorious for starting but never finishing things

Coming from a new guy looking for help, thats not the best attitude to start out with.

This is not RunUO, this is not Orbsydia. If you are coming here just to demand, or put others down, maybe you should find a different support forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:20 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Nebu wrote:

You're confusing Xuri with Khaybel :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:36 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Deep breath Dian!

I don't believe it was made negatively.

The statemen was he was "notirous". It doesn't necessarly mean this was an assertation on the writers part that Xuri deserved the rep, but more the fact that at least in his circles, he had the rep, right or wrong!

Anyway, I don't believe any harm was meant!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:26 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Oy...bad mouthing someone after asking for help...never a good thing.

Xuri and Stormcrow are actually kicking ass and taking names on this project and I have full faith in both of them that it will not only be finished but "CRUSH!" anything out there once its done.

Yes I know we agreed about the "crush" term but it will at least apply pressure from the top to all those laying under and maybe even rupturing some intestines... :P

Just for future reference though, we support each other here at Ryandors, not bash each other or degrade like some other places in the community.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:39 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I'm taking names? Sounds like a list. I don't like lists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:14 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

*pulls out a beretta*

Now look, I was just being "friendly", no need to kick me out of town. We can be civilized. Let me tell you my story, I distinctly remember many years ago Xuri was working on a shard, which was supposed to be an RP paradise. But unfortunately, this shard took years and years and years, and we've long left it for dead. I remember the intro talked about people killing you and leaving you to rot under the vultures circling in the sky, that's kind of how I would picture the shard now. In the circles of people I knew, that was mainly what everyone thought of when Xuri was mentioned. It is UO Emulation history no matter what way you look at it.

However, I remember all the things that shard promised, and it was a good collection of ideas. I'm actually implementing some of the ideas I got from there into my own RP shard. And I'm pretty sure it will be my shard that crushes all the other shards out there. I'm developing a setting that has never before been done or explored in UO, and will deliver it in a way that no one has delivered a shard's story before. The secret to a successful shard is to make it deep, yet simple and intuitive enough that people can figure it out without you telling them what to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:26 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Xuri wrote:
I'm taking names? Sounds like a list. I don't like lists.

Sounds like you been slacking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:28 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

A good full data set is going to take me longer to finish than it is going to take punt to finish coding, but as he said it is pretty workable and of course you are always welcome to make your own data set!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:43 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Nebu wrote:
*pulls out a beretta*

Now look, I was just being "friendly".....

Hahahaha, right on Nebu. Thats what we like to see around here. If I misunderstood what you were meaning.. shoot me. Thats the kind of personality that fits right in around here :P

err.. okay man.. you can put the gun down now... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:56 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Stormcrow wrote:
A good full data set is going to take me longer to finish than it is going to take punt to finish coding, but as he said it is pretty workable and of course you are always welcome to make your own data set!

Will this be a full dataset ? or a selection of the full set ?
Could we talk about automating that process a bit ? I'm still seriously thinking about creating a lil util for it, after I finished a time limited VB6 project :/

Greetz
Planet_Jeroen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:07 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Gotta make sure you pack some heat in todays forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:10 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Planet_Jeroen wrote:
Will this be a full dataset ? or a selection of the full set ?
Could we talk about automating that process a bit ? I'm still seriously thinking about creating a lil util for it, after I finished a time limited VB6 project :/

What did you have in mind? The MapGenerator code is complete (as far as we can tell) for the moment. I am currently working on a transistion editor.

What type of automation did you have in mind? Stormcrow has a template for a 2-way transition, which I plan for the editor to support as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:04 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

What I had in mind was intended for dragon: generate a custom palete and scriptset out of the uo tile info, making changing your palette easy instead of time consuming and prone to errors.

I'm not sure if it's still needed tho with the maps split up in a terrain type and altitude type ?

Greetz
Planet_Jeroen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:35 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I kind of hate it when the maps get split. Kinda hard to work with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:57 am 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

Nebu wrote:
I kind of hate it when the maps get split. Kinda hard to work with.

Yeah, I wrote a utility that uses a true-color image for tile IDs and a grayscale image for altitude. I thought it would work well at the time, and it did, but it makes modifying the map very difficult since one change to the tiles often requires completely rebuilding the altitude map to match. If I had done it over, I would have just used one true-color image to represent both tile ID and altitude.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next