Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:46 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

How-To: Edit the Map Size
1. Grab yourself a Hex Editor like say, 010 Editor (What I used).

(Please Note, This is NOT illegal, as long as you do not distribute the modified client [You'll have to patch it automaticly, Patcher coming soon]).

2. Make a copy of the UO client so you arent modifying the original.

3. Open the copy inside your hex editor.

4. Run multiple searches for the UO map sizes in TILES not blocks.

These are...

(Run an individual search for each number below and make sure you set the data type as an Unsigned or Signed Short)

(You dont need to worry about Tokuno unless your modifying it, at this point it'll the pattern will be quite obvious)

5. Scroll down to the Address 18:1850h

(Please note, this was done with Client 5.0.1j, Different clients may have a different address range [Lower for older, Higher for Newer most likely])

Now if you look pretty much down the center of the hex values, you'll see a patern turn up. Check out the signed short values and you'll see they correspond with the map values in tiles.

(Also notice the number right after it, is the second map value in tiles).

Image shows what I mean here...
http://img84.imageshack.us/my.php?image ... xes8hh.jpg

Ignore all values that are highlighted outside of the places I circled. They are unrelated.

6. Change these values to a VALID map number.

And your done, test it.

However, beware the map plane number when working with Map0. If your using RunUO (I did as my test server, Im not sure how other servers handle it), and you modify the first map number (Eg, Map0, Plane0) make sure you goto the FELLUCA plane. Or else it will not show correctly.

To be safe, I suggest modifying both Map0 values to be the same (Should they really be separate anyway?).

The safest way to get a valid map number I found is to Divide the map in Tiles by 8. Add increments of 128 onto that number (Blocks) until you think its about what you want in tiles. Then times it by 8 to see what the tiles will be. You CANNOT go past around 32000, as that is a limitation on the Signed Short. I didn't test if a Unsigned Short would actually work, perhaps later.

Also to be safe, make sure the Map's second number (Height) is 384 blocks (The tiles divied by 8 are blocks) BELOW the Maps first number (Width). You may be able to do a square map, but I dont know how it'd turn out.

Issues with this.
No Graphics program I know of can take an image larger than 30000x30000. So that limits you to under those values.

The BMP size at near that number is around 733MB, this would make the actual converted map much larger (Possibly to big for distribution).

If you don't set the wrap points correctly, and are using the entire map (Any map) as overland, you will notice past the wrap points coastlines will bugger up, and some areas will go funny (If the Y wrap point doesnt go down the whole map, you will get some SERIOUS side effects).

See below to edit Wrap Points.

End How-To

How-To: Edit the Map Wrap Points
Well, If you've been testing this hex, you would have noticed by now that if you used a map larger than the standard map inside Map2,3 or 4, that when you hit the original boundaries of the map, you'll have a horrid black strip right down, and also anything after it will be water, or severely screwed. This is how you fix that.

If you havent read the upper post about editing the Map Sizes yet, I suggest you read it and get familiar with that hex section. As your going back there again.

(This also can move the black strip on Map0, if you want to use the Whole map, and put the dungeon bar on another map)

1. Create a copy of the client (Or use the one you've been hexing already)
2. Open up your hex program (010 Editor for me)
3. Scroll down to the Address 18:1850h
4. Look at the picture below to see which numbers are which.

http://img224.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... xes0si.jpg

To explain what Wrap X and Y means. Wrap X is the point across the map at which the wrapping starts. Wrap Y is how far down the map the Wrapping goes.

To be Safe, I suggest moving the Wrap X point to wherever your Dungeon bar is going to start. If you are not going to use one, Or use a whole map as your dungeon bar (Leaving an entire map free for Mapping). I suggest putting the Wrap X as your Maps X value. (So if your map is 5000 tiles across, your Wrap X for that map would be 5000)

Wrap Y I suggest strongly is ALWAYS your entire maps height. So if your Map Y is 2000, your Wrap Y should also be 2000. If you look at the Tokuno Map X and Y, and its Wrap X and Y, you'll see that they are the same. This means that the wrapping point is right on the map border, and pretty much won't bother you.

5. Edit the Wrap points to what you want, the image shows which numbers are for what maps.

6. Save your client, and test!

This will fix any issues with Coastlines, and maps not displaying correctly after the original borders of other maps (If set to the right point).

This can also get rid of that horrid Wrap Bar that plagued custom maps for years and years. Enjoy!

End How-To

If you need any more help, feel free to reply or PM me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:12 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for reposting this ... and thanks Ryandor for putting it on the main page ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:26 am 
Newb
Newb

Indeed. This is something that many of us have been waiting for a long time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:52 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Big kudos to Bmzx007!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:17 am 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Thanks Bmzx007 :idea:

I been trying to get time to this setup, and should here soon.. awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:14 pm 
Master
Master

This is crazy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:07 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Coldfire wrote:
This is crazy

Yeah, uhhhh...I don't think so. We really don't like a lot of rules around this place but that means everyone has to have some common sense. Get rid of the ridiculously large avatar and banner please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:44 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Alright, finally after a couple stupid overlooks on my part, I have tested this out, and can confirm that it does in fact work perfectly so far :D

This will be put to the test by us, since we have been planning on using the dif files to patch in 2 full maps, one on each Tram/Fel facet. Even though I have already done that, and it has been working great.. this is by far a better way to go about it.

Both the client and the EMU (RunU(AwayFromTheCommunity)o server have to work tons harder at reading complete maps patched into the dif's. After a lot of testing, I have concluded that at least the client was not coded in a way to handle full maps in there, and bogs down. RunUO will also take quite awhile longer to even load, while it reads the huge dif files. So, our plans were starting to seem dim, for using 2 maps of this size.

At any rate, I will definitely be putting this to the test, and let everyone know here, any issues I may discover.

*Known potential issues for anyone thinking of using this mod*

First, if you use this mod for a shard, your players will have to manually edit their client themselves to keep things in the legal aspect. Sharing or re-distributing a modified uo client is illegal, as has been mentioned many times before.

second, if you use this mod, keep in mind that many UO tools out there may not operate correctly, or even at all, since many of them have the map size's hard coded as well. For instance, InsideUO will not display a map correctly if the size is not a match to the standard OSI sizes.

More potential pro's and con's to come :)

Thanks again Bmzx007.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:38 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Coldfire I removed your sig and avatar links (but not privs!) temporarily. Pretty please resize them before adding back :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:38 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Quote:
So, our plans were starting to seem dim, for using 2 maps of this size

Hmm, I don't understand. Doesn't it just mean the shared map facets (0/1) have this problem. Say you want two maps of this size, make it map 0 and map 2. Don't use any difs on map 0 (ignore map1) ? Or make just small changes if you must have that map.

Seems to me, if I understand this patch, you can now have map0,2,3,4 all at large sizes. Just the shared one (map 1) may have some issues.

Did I understand?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:21 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

It would be logical to have the diff files the same size as the map, this would prevent possible bugs from popping up. Not using diff files at all is the way to go if your maps are different anyways so that problem takes care of itself.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:23 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, but Dian indicated that this caused too much lag (for the client and server) when one expanded the map.

Just saying, it doesn't mean you can have two large maps, just cant do it on facet 0/1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:47 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Okay.. a breakdown...

I patched one custom map ( 6144x4096 ) into dif0 set.
I patched a different custom map (6144 x 4096 ) into dif1 set.

RunUO took a lot longer to load the mul files, obviously due to the unusually large dif file sizes.

My first few initial runs from this, seemed absolutly perfect, with no issues other than RunUO's extra loading time, on startup. In game, everything seemed perfect, tram had one map, fel had the other.. and preformance seemed to be no different than a normal map setup would be.

Our Ultima 5 map is still in development, so I have repatched newer versions of this map into the dif files, and at some point last week, I noticed a huge area of trees in the ocean on one map.. after some checking into it, seemed to be from the map0.mul itself, 'bleeding' threw to the dif, in game (hope that makes sence)

This issue made me believe that the dif files, even though over write the main map.. will still be transparent in areas that have no actual map tile or static item on a map index to block the main map.. alowing the main map to show through. I thought that if the dif files had a full map patched into it, it would have a difference on each map block.. but, I guess it doesnt record water as a difference to compare, or somthing.. I dunno.

Anyways, I have prety much confused myself trying to explain this in a way for you all to understand... so, I will leave it at this, for now, untill someone wants any further explanaitions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:30 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Dian wrote:
second, if you use this mod, keep in mind that many UO tools out there may not operate correctly, or even at all, since many of them have the map size's hard coded as well. For instance, InsideUO will not display a map correctly if the size is not a match to the standard OSI sizes.

Dian, very true except that InsideUO is not a good example of this as the map sizes are not hardcoded in this utility. You can configure InsideUO to read any map size by editing its config file.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:43 am 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

hm, I will check my archive disks then, for another one, because I had opened the config.xml to before I posted that, and it did not have an entry for specifying a map size. (yea, Dian thought before he spoke :shock: )

Anyway, just trying to think of all possible areas that using an irregular sized map might conflict with.. and that was one that came to mind first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:57 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Dian wrote:
hm, I will check my archive disks then, for another one, because I had opened the config.xml to before I posted that, and it did not have an entry for specifying a map size. (yea, Dian thought before he spoke :shock: )

Anyway, just trying to think of all possible areas that using an irregular sized map might conflict with.. and that was one that came to mind first.

I know what you mean, most tools DO have hardcoded map sizes (unfortunately!)

On the InsideUO config, it's a little misleading in the XML, as it uses block sizes instead of dimensions. Just divide each dimension by 8 and that will give you the block size to use in InsideUO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:11 am 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Well.. imagine that. I just put opened the config.xml and searched for 6144 before I posted, using InsideUO as example, lol. Glad you knew that, or Id still be thinking InsideUO needed a core mod :wink:

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:37 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Punt helped me figure out the block sizes. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:27 pm 
Young
Young

Question

I know there is a point at 5120 I beleive that can be some what of a trouble some spot on custom maps. I know its kind of a (do not put anything on this line) spot. Will this adjustment shall we call it :) change that? or will there still be that line there? I hope you know what I mean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:36 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Warloxx: Read the above post, mainly the section "Editing Map Wrap Points". This is what you are describing. At that point you stated, is where the client is set to wrap the map, to look like a continuation of whatever the last tile was (Eg, Endless Ocean, Grass, Whatever the tile is at that point).

By Editing the Wrap points, you can shift that point, right up to where-ever you want it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:53 am 
Young
Young

Thats what I thought, I was just wanting to be sure I understood you correctly. thank you for the fast reply. :) I love this site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:44 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

How do you patch this to your players without patching the client its self?

Ronin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:47 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

currently, there is no patch tool for this known. there has been mention by a couple people of making one, but no news yet. Somehow, even as huge a breakthrough this is, it doesnt seem to really have much attention. RunUO simply shuts down any kind of mention of altering the OSI/EA client, so that could have possibly scared some off.

Im sure before long, a patcher will surface though, even if I have to persuade someone to write one :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:49 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I would offer my skills but i am afriad my skills arent up to par for such a project. Code well just not good just yet with packets and hex :P

Working on it thou :)

Ronin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:44 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

There are some shareware patch makers that can create patch files containing only the differences between the 2 files.