It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UO Dark Shards
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

From Imprint:

Hi, its Imprint.
I'm rebuilding my UO World Building site, and its going to be called "UO Dark Shards". I will be offering FREE public domain maps as I did in the past as well as offering to develop "unique" maps for individuals for a price.

www.members.cox.net/darkshard/

Also I've placed a sample image of the "Alternate OSI World" BITMAP that I've been working on for close to a year. It is now completed and I will be making it available for download.
Thanks for your time.
Regards
Carl (Imprint)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:30 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I recently got an email from someone about this site...

Quote:
Dear Shard Owner,

I have recently been made aware that your shard "Avatar's Return aka Rebirth" has been using a map designed by myself for some time. This designed is copyrighted and I was on your shard to verify that it is indeed being used without my knowledge or credit. Understand that many hours of work have gone into this design, and I would appreciate credit where credit is due, and payment be made for usage of my map.

For $10.00 you may fully use my map, but to use my work without paying would be dishonest and copyright infringement. For that price you may even receive my most recent and any future updates.

http://members.cox.net/darkshard/maps.html

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter

Majere

Now the email was signed by Majere which is teh part that confuses me.. I checked the site the only map he has for sale is the one I DLed off of Majeres site. but its been altered alittle from what i can see on the picture.. I emailed the person directly form the website.. he was rather rude. I asked him if he was Majere, he said no he was imprint. that Majere stole the map from him a while back. well I asked him about the email i recieved and told him if what he said was true i would consider buying his new map that he was so desperately trying to sell to me. IF he we be kind enough to show me soem of the things he had changed on the map from my version. cause i have to know if its worth making my player reDL the map file. he then replied with an ever ruder email stating he blocked my email.

Quote:
I've never replied with a signature Majere???? not sure what your talking about... I closed all my emails with "Regards, Carl (Imprint)"

I am not running a shard with that map, due to Majere stealing the map we have decided not to create or run a shard with the map, but instead we are selling the map for 10$ and letting others take advantage of the work.

Any way I won't be responding to anything that is sent from this point onward as won't get it. I find it rather insulting that you keep wanted to try and link me with Majere and have the nerve to state that I am signing my emails with his name etc...

Karma will take care of people like you, I try to be nice and inform you, and you have the never to insult me... I've checked and I can see what my email looks like when its delivered and it is always signed with "Regards, Carl (Imprint)

I'll be placing your email address in my rules now so that it will be instantly deleted if you should choose to email me again, I don't wish to have any further contact with the likes of you.

Farewell,
Carl (Imprint)

I just want to know whats going on cause its rather confusing on my end.. is this map truely his? why did he act so rudely when i asked a few mere questions.. I dont really have a problem with a person trying to sell there work.. even though the whole point of the UO emu community is that is for the most part free and everyone tries to add to it. but hey to each his own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:46 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Copyright my ass!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:42 pm 
The Defenestrator
The Defenestrator

So, first they are given out for free, and once there is need for money they have to pay? That seems stupid. You've downloaded that map (And I believe I once downloaded one of Imprints maps) when they were free of charge. He can't demand his 10 dollars now. It's true that artwork is copyrighted as soon as it's made, but this is impossible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:23 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Forget anything that Majere has said. He is known for taking other people's work, and releaseing it as his own. There is no way he can charge money for anything related to UO files. That is somthing that we all have to understand.. its no matter what time or work is spent on our custom maps, or graphics, etc.. the bottom line is, we altered the *.mul files that Ultima Online created, and there is no way for any one of us to copyright them, and charge money for them.

Disreguard anything that Majere has e-mailed you about. If you have downloaded a map from a site, be it his, or anyone else's, you are basicly free to use it the same as you use the map from the Ultima Online install. The most anyone could ask of it, is to give credit for the creator of the work within, not the *.mul file itself.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:58 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi,

at my site http://members.cox.net/darkshard/ I have the maps that I've created for sale.

They are 100% legit and I am only charging for the BMP Image of the map. The 3 MUL files that come with the BMP Image are completely free.

The BMP Images were created by me and are Copyright to me and I can sell them legally.

I just wanted to clear that up. You are correct you can't sell or claim any copyright to the MUL files as EA Games owns those. But the BMP Images that are used with dragon can be sold no problem.

Carl Hamilton (Imprint)
http://members.cox.net/darkshard/