Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:22 am 
Young
Young

Draspha ( http://draspha.theasylum.us ) is under extensive development with the POL engine. When completed there is no doubt in my mind that its complexity and depth will be unmatched by any other shard.

Every system that you know to be UO has been completely redone, not revamped.

The shard already has a complete core development team, including: Map development, statics development, script development, and literature development.

Join the community as a player, or if you are interested and feel you have the skill, contact me about joining the development team.

I am, that I am.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:34 pm 
Heinous Monkey
Heinous Monkey

There are lots of advanced shards, what features will your shard have that other shards don't?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:08 pm 
Heinous Monkey
Heinous Monkey

Oh and can you give me a link to the actual website? I can't find it anywhere on the forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The link is in the message. I fixed it so it actually links :)

-Ryandor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:24 pm 
Heinous Monkey
Heinous Monkey

I'm pretty sure that's just the forum, Ry. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:09 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Q!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:42 pm 
Young
Young

Galavorn wrote:
There are lots of advanced shards, what features will your shard have that other shards don't?

You can read a very vague description here: http://draspha.theasylum.us/showthread. ... hreadid=10

I wrote that a while ago before development had actually begun, so ideas will seem a little unrefined. Because of this, feel free to ask me to elaborate on anything.

The site is just forums, they do everything we need.

I am, that I am.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:50 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

So is it actually a running server? Or is it still in development?

It's really going to be hard to make claims such as "most advanced shard" when it doesn't even seem up.

I ask because the site just is a tad confusing and hard to navigate, even if it is just a forum. There needs to be a way for new comers to just pick up vital information easily. *rubs chin and nods*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:18 am 
Young
Young

If you find the forums difficult to navigate, you can go to vBulletin.com and tell them.

If you find information difficult to find it is because I never bothered to sort it, hopefully over the next few days I will get some kind of a system in place to let me organize things in a more structured way.

The reason I am confident in my claim is because I haven ever seen or heard of anything that compares to what we are developing in terms of complexity. I am not talking needlessly complex either, actual working and practical systems and ideas.

Of course, if I am wrong, please let me know.[/url]

I am, that I am.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:45 am 
Young
Young

Its intresting, but I wouldn't say most advanced.. Go shard hopping for a while. I'd claim diffrent, more than advanced. And then... I've heard the idea concept before.

player run = need lots of players.

-Larvantholos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:17 pm 
Young
Young

It all depends on what you are basing your observations on. I am speaking on the basis of the actual systems, and how they will function. Of course, this is a very subjective argument and I respect any contrary opinions.

I am, that I am.

Post subject: Hey quicky
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:23 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Are you still workin on that thing? Whats it been two years now? hrm. anyway the links dont work, so repost them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:28 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Pfft, takes a long time to get a good shard cranked out. The more intense they are, the more your staff burns out and takes breaks *chuckles*

So out of friendly curiousity, what systems are you redoing Quick? And don't give the politician answer again, we're asking specifically :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:27 pm 
Young
Young

No kidding Rose. From what I've seen of Tragena, now that's going to be an advanced and compelling shard.

Shattered Alliance has been under dev for over 2 years. Our beta turned production server has been running for almost 2 years (next month). The serious development of the replacement map has hit the one year point. This has been serious, intensive work, not just the occasional weekend. Static construction was begun in March.

As far as staff burnout. I've lost track of how many have come and gone. But when we're done, I think we'll have something special.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:23 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks sonic :) Speaking of Shattered Alliance, I keep forgetting to bug Az and DF about that link idea your staff had for our shards.

*makes mental note*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:35 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

swap links for our web pages?

sure.. fine by me :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:06 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

From my own experience with shard creationg from even back in the TUS days, shards take forever to get up and running!

Building a simple shard even with the "stock" map and NPC location, takes several months. GOOD decoration, monster spawning, planning, website, take more time than most people think.

You start on a dungeon and go, "hey this is simple, it should only take a few days to finish!" then two weeks later you are still re-adjusting and balancing the spawns, the decor and adding in more hidden stuff or extra rooms, or removing stuff that was too big.

Also, shards are about balance. Look at SWG (star wars galaxies) its Too big, going anywhere requires a 20 minute run that is REALLY boring! Running aimlessly is not PLAYING, nor Roleplaying, its tedious. Bigger isn't always better. 1000 skills isn't better, its just overly complicated and confusing.

I think Draspha was a great idea, but if they are going to create their own emulator (smallworld) why not use a better platform (NWN, DAOC, SWG, or any of the "free" 3d engines). Creating your own emulator includes scripting all the systems (look how long it took a DEDICATED runuo team to puttogether the systems that they have now, and that's with TONS of submissions) So , if you are going to create all the systems anyways why use outdated graphics with outdated networking technology. Its like trying to tune your mom's minivan into a drag car, might as well start with a good car, it makes things easier.