Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Free maps?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:57 am 
Young
Young

Is there any free maps in internet to download (bmp or mul?) ? I know how it sounds... but somewhere in the past there was a free maps on tha darkshard, and also on pixelview... and now... i've searched everyware and i didn't find anything...

M.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:14 am 
Master
Master

I have seen a bmp's for sell, but at my look they dont keeping their cost and too undetailed and simple to be selled. It is always better to do it yourself.
P.S. mul's are too much huge-sized to get shared, i think.

"Be calm and silent, as Darkness care not of passions and lies. Be patient and cold, as Darkness exists out of borders of time and emotions. Just be yourself, as You are in the Darkness and Darkness is inside of you."
-Dark Ones Doctrine, 2001y (c)-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:22 am 
Young
Young

Well, yes... but for 20 players spending a lot of months to do a new map... is sick. I'm just looking for small map...

M.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:04 am 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

How is someone else spending months working on a map just to give it away to you for free not sick?

If you want a free map just go to the various emu sites until you find one that you like and that they allow you to download from their site. Most of them you find will be the one that was given away originally then were being sold with some customized items added.

"Please give me your map for free because I don't feel like doing any work" will only get you laughed out of most forums...

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:36 am 
Community Guy

Right... Begging others to build your map for you, or to give you there's is usually a huge no no. I can't count how many times I've had people IM me after getting my screenname from this same page and ask me to build their map for them.

It was kind of frustrating. On one hand I didn't want to be mean, but on the other I had spent plenty of time on my map trying to make it decent and learning as I went. They shouldn't get a free ride out of it just because I'm a nice guy. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:08 pm 
Master
Master

well, i'm making a map freely right now, for cheh server DivineLand...

"Be calm and silent, as Darkness care not of passions and lies. Be patient and cold, as Darkness exists out of borders of time and emotions. Just be yourself, as You are in the Darkness and Darkness is inside of you."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:21 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

As usual, I don't understand. There are at least three free maps that come with every installation of UO. Something wrong with them? Is it really a map you want or just some custom areas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:51 am 
Master
Master

There is just nothing to understand, aka Reu. Everyone just become bothered in playing on basical map, and Shards with that ones isn't popular that time. Felucca itself is an oldest map, created when first non-beta UO has released. Ilshenar have lack of cities, classified as dungeon-world. Malas is a dull place, where just Doom to be visited, nothing more at all. Tokuno map is a big piece of uselessness in fact, out of dungeons (fandancers dojo isn't a dungeon at all, just a living place of One monster type, and Yomotsu mines in my memory was never cleaned... well, it is hard to be cleaned when 3 skill-stat-caped, full-equiped and experienced players cannot to slay just one Yomotsu Warrior for a 20 minutes...) There is extra need in new worlds here....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:43 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you, Xenoth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:21 am 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

I would not recommend downloading and using a map that some other ?custom? shard is using, even if they may have gotten it free. The most likely thing that happened is that they stole it, and you would just be perpetuating theft.

If you need a small map, it is not too difficult at all to make one by yourself in about a week?s time. While I have never used dragon, the basic BMP-building part should not take more than a few hours for a small world. Building cities, dungeons, and perfecting points of interest is where the time, love, and skill come more into play ? you can expect to spend, perhaps, 10 hours on each town, maybe a little more, and about the same for each dungeon. Assuming you limit the number of towns and dungeons, that should not add up to much, especially if you take advantage of build-for-you tools, like Xuri?s WorldBuilder and some of Punt?s programs.

Building the map yourself also allows you to become extremely familiar with it, and give you the skills needed to expand it later, if your shard grows or there is a need for new or different areas. That can never hurt, and you have access to this forum for any questions you might need answered ? a definite plus that can certainly make the process much less painful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:30 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Xenoth wrote:
Felucca itself is an oldest map, created when first non-beta UO has released.

It's actually even older than that...Britannia in its present form was introduced way back in ULTIMA IV circa 1983-1984!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:34 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

HellRazor wrote:
It's actually even older than that...Britannia in its present form was introduced way back in ULTIMA IV circa 1983-1984!

I think he meant UO maps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:36 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I know! :) I only mention it because there are a LOT of people out there who don't realize that there was an entire series of Ultima games for over 10 years prior to UO ever coming around.

I feel old!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:39 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

A bit of a tangent, but I suppose a good history lesson never hurts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:29 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

:shock:

What was the first thing again?...

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:30 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

Dev Viperrious wrote:
:shock:

What was the first thing again?...

Dev

I think we have issues about staying focused...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:19 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Huh?

Post subject: 13 Custom Maps!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:48 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I currently have 13 custom maps on my site. They are not FREE, cause it takes anywhere from 400-700+ hours to build these things.

There are MAP0, MAP2, and MAP3 worlds.

I do keep the price reasonable. $15.00 per BMP image, and you get the 3 MUL files needed for FREE for some of them that are completed.

My worlds are anything but simple world, they are extremely detailed, I'm a perfectionist, so I go around and try to make sure every area possible is corrected.

http://members.cox.net/darkshard/

~ Imprint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:56 am 
Newb
Newb

Altering ultima resouces is broking ur UO contract.
Selling them is absolutely illegal.

I completly disaprouve this commercial advertisement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:23 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Actually the custom maps are made from scratch completely, you don't edit or rearrange the data of the current map. While i don't necessarily approve of selling a map, I don't see any problem with charging for his time spent making it.

If you'd like a bit of a lesson on the time spent on some maps/statics, Dragonfire spent in the vicinity of 16 hours a day for 2 years and I'd say, lowball estimate, 6 hours per day for another 2 years to make my shard's map... that's 16,060 hours in total for one shard map, and it's really not an exaggeration on hours spent.

I think if Darkshard spent even 1/10th of the time on his for-sale maps, then $15 is still a good deal for 1,606 hours of labor. No one is obligated to buy the maps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:00 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Just a side note on this, darkshard does not sell the actual *.mul files of the map. He sells the *.bmp image of the map to the buyer, and gives the map*.mul file set to them for free, with the purchase of the *.bmp image.

There is nothing illegal there, nor does that have anything to do with the UO agreement.

Really, as far as breaking the UO agreement, darkshard could very well have never even bought a UO game before, and still be perfectly able to develop world maps for UO, with the tools avaliable. *shrugs*

darkshard has taken the correct method of selling his work, and by all means the maps he has created are well worth 15$