Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eternal Agony (Must see)
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 8:27 am 
Eternal Agony Project

Ok so basically what we want to do, is to make an mmorpg based on Ultima Online and Sphere Server but what we want to do is not only a normal sphere shard but a totally customized shard and uo client. Which include: New animations,New Hues, New Map, New Statis, New Gump, New skills, New spell and much more. Well in fact we want to customize totally everything and keep only the best in order to have the best server ever made.

Let's talk a bit more about the shard, what we want to do is first an Half-Role Play shard, which mean we will do some "animations" and make a story and stuff but players wont have to talk like their char. This way all the players will be free to play the way they like and there still be a lot of event and cool thing. Ok now what about the story? Well for the story it isn't made at the moment but here are the main lines: We want to make 2 class: Vampire and Human which are in war since the earth exist. When the player will first create his character, he will have the choice to be either a Vampire or an Human. Each class will have their own Spells. For example if the vampire team decide they want to attack the human they could get an high mage to cast their "Eternal Darkness" spell. This spell could basically turn off the light of the region, alowwing the vamprie to attack the human castle. Of course, the human woudl defend themself with archery, fire arrowm paladin which coudl have skill such as "Holy Light". Those are only exampel of the spells and wars that could be made. For the skills, well human and vampire will have the smae skills that they can develop freely, but each class will have a "boost" in some of their skill. For example, Vampire coudl start with alchemy at 65 and human with blacksmithing at 65. The weapon and spell would also be totally remade, with new gump and new balanced damage which would make melee usefull. For the map well it would basically be two big isle, one for each class with some other isle, dungeon and more, which would allow players to do anythign else than fighting the other class if they doesnt feel like doing it. As for our team we are currently looking for people which coul help us out in our project. Note that no one will have some special right over anyone else, everyone in the project would be considerated equally as any other, and major decision will be taken in group. Of course each of coudl also add their personnal "touch" to the shard this way i guess many player would like it. As for the language well as you can see my english isn't perfect but for the staff we need people which can actually speak English, i personally also speak french is someone want to know. For the player, anyone that feel liek playing could play as long as they can still talk a bit in english.

So as you can see, it's a really big project, we plan to completely REBUILD the game... New graphics, music, animations, skills, spells etc... But we need help!
Anyone who knows anything in any of the following jobs, please contact me!

BigFatJapaneseSumo@Hotmail.com

Graphics -> Animations, Gumps
Staff -> GMs, Debuggers, etc...
Statics -> Towns, Decorations, any other buildings...
Sounds -> Sounds
Sphere Scripting -> Main stuff, Class stuff, fixing
Spawning -> Monsters and NPCs

We would need talented people for the graphics, we're currently looking to have graphics looking like to T4C or Ashen Empires...

Thx!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 12:22 pm 
Who wants to bet that this guy will abandon project within a week?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:14 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Ok lets cover it point by point.

1st...why are your rebuilding a perfectly good game? There is nothing wrong with UO, only the people who play it and the lack of creativity that OSI seems to be suffering from for the last few years.

2nd...I do graphics, lots of graphics and boy are you deluding yourself if you think your going to do them all from scratch. The software that is required in itself would cost more than any of your team would be willing to spend. If you think you can do it all in Photoshop your 100% wrong...

3rd...Stupid vampires...every stinking shard out there has vampires (except mine) and I might be the first person to say it but they get real old real fast since they are nothing more than humans with pale skin.

4th...SPHERE?????....Sphere is still alive? Good lord of all the EMU's to use why on gods green earth would "ANYONE" want to use Sphere??? You would be better off modifying the RUNUO source code or POL. If you truely want to make an "original" shard then you need to create your own EMU to go with your new client. Dont rely on someone elses trash to get you by.

Dozens of people have attempted what your talking about and "everyone" has utterly failed horribly. That is not to say that you don't stand a chance but the odds are not in your favor after you come to realize the amount of work involved. I'm sure we all wish you the best of luck though.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:03 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

Damnit Dev, you know that pisses me off ? OSI has not existed for a good many years now, do not tarnish their once good name for deeds done by the horrible evil no-good EA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:09 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

I just read the original post (well, skimmed)? I thought you people were being mean, but yeah... I would not put my money on it being finished.

Although some lone programmers who are dating their artist have developed some half-decent MMORPGs, most fail. It is increasingly becoming easier to at least get a working one, though, however lame it may be.

Going about it the way you described will not get you very hard, though ? you just built yourself an artificial 3-story wall you now have to tear down one spoonful at a time for no reason. It would be easier if you completely forget UO and start a client/server from scratch.

Oh, and, use proper grammar, please, if you want to appear intelligent enough to lead such an audacious project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:11 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Oops yep sorry it is EA that screwed the poodle and caused that nasty patchy fur disorder most now suffer from. :wink:

OSI did ok for the most part other than rebalancing the skills all the time...try GM'n something that would be useless next week. But they were creative bastards.

Sorry Syd!

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:17 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

They were lousy programmers from the modern ?do things right? kind of way ? it is obvious they coded by the seat of their pants in a never-ending struggle of just getting something that worked. Truth be told, though, it was supposed to be a small project where they were dipping their feet in the water just to see what it was like ? and when they did, they found themselves 5,000 feat under a sea of gaming revolution. Their little client/server was never meant for anything more than a little toy ? so it is very respectable in my mind that they did such a great job given the fact that their product was roughly 100 fold as popular as they originally planned for.