Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Nordic Myth Hirering !!!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:04 pm 
Young
Young

Nordic Myth is now hiering Map designer/s and map converters,

For more info see www.NordicMyth.tk
Or Email me Lord Argon at Argon.Bleis@mail.dk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:30 pm 
Master
Master

site does not work in my mozilla firebird. the idea of an nordic shard is cool. would love to join you if i hadn't more than enough work and there wasn't that payment thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:46 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hehe yeah, site is definitely a no-go with mozilla firebird. works in opera and IE though.

I gotta go with Matonor on this, paying to play a player-run shard just isn't gonna appeal to almost anyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:24 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

:shock:
hmmmm hmmmm

so.... how much does the job pay?

*Hides from Rose*
ssshhh! if you dont tell her I sure wont! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:32 am 
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

not to mention it is illegal and the reason why emulation is free. If you charge for your shard you will get sued out the ass by OSI, and EA I can almost garuntee it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:58 pm 
Young
Young

Depends on which country he is in. Some countries do not conform to some International laws :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:27 pm 
The Defenestrator
The Defenestrator

Since he's using an emu he didnt make himself (I assume), doesnt that give the emulator the right to sue him as well? As he is charging for their work basically. Theirs and OSI's.

But yes, paying for it is VERY bad. Players go to these shards because they are free. if I could pay, I'd go to OSI :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:15 pm 
Heinous Monkey
Heinous Monkey

Cal wrote:
not to mention it is illegal and the reason why emulation is free. If you charge for your shard you will get sued out the ass by OSI, and EA I can almost garuntee it.
]

By OSI and EA? Nice one dumbass, that's impossible considering that OSI is no more and it's only EA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:41 am 
The Defenestrator
The Defenestrator

Galavorn wrote:
Cal wrote:
]

By OSI and EA? Nice one dumbass, that's impossible considering that OSI is no more and it's only EA.

... Why call him a dumbass for that? Jeeze, cool down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:48 am 
Community Guy

Armada, you just kinda have to understand Galavorn. He's just the straight forward abrasive type. Many posts I've read on here have him flaming back and forth (all while trying to help somebody at least), and you kind of just get used to it. *Shrugs*

Stormcrow gets on him all the time. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:21 am 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Yeah Galavorn is just an ass. He can't help it.
I'm thinking of starting a paypal fund for donations to get him the therapy he needs. It's probably all his mothers fault anyway. It's always the mothers fault.

Now the guy who is trying to make a pay for play shard; he IS a dumbass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:56 pm 
Faerun Mapper

Stormcrow wrote:
I'm thinking of starting a paypal fund for donations to get him the therapy he needs. It's probably all his mothers fault anyway. It's always the mothers fault.

jesus that was harsh! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:04 pm 
The Defenestrator
The Defenestrator

Anageth wrote:
Stormcrow wrote:

jesus that was harsh! :shock:

Truth hurts. :)

And yeah, making a pay to play shard is just completely stupid. At least do it smarter, like... "You have to pay 2 dollars to join this community. This includes acces to our server... which just "happens" to run Ultima Online...."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:10 pm 
Faerun Mapper

Yeah I see what he means, and I understand. But that was harsh :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:33 pm 
EA have targeted pay-for-play shards like this before - so they're likely to do it again, yep. I might be mistaken, but I don't think EA have attempted to shut down any shards for anything other than pay-for-play... they've gone after websites distributing client-files like client.exe, but not the actual shards.

In any case, demanding paypment for playing on a player-run shards is an unethical approach which will not make the shard/admin very liked in these communities. At least, that has been the way of things from "back in the day"... here's hoping that attitude hasn't changed in recent days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:48 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Anageth wrote:
Yeah I see what he means, and I understand. But that was harsh :?

If you think that was harsh then you don't know Galavorn very well. Now while I am fond of Galavorn, after all, every village needs its idiot, he does need to be beat about the head and shoulders frequently.

If you're talking about the other guy, well Xuri just gave the long explanation. The short explanation is "what a dumbass".

Bandwidth is not free and ASKING for donations to keep your site up hasn't gotten anyone in trouble yet that I know of. If people really like what you have to offer they will donate (except for the cheapasses). That is about as close to asking for pay to play as you are gonna get without EA lawyers coming down on you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:31 pm 
Community Guy

I have to agree with stormcrow on this one. Pay for play is bad. Donations good. I mean, you can sign up for pay pal and have that nice little accesible link. Put something underneath like "Help us pay for our bandwidth so this shard won't have to close down!"

If your shard is worth playing on to someone enough they will probably donate money. Although, don't expect a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:51 pm 
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

ok i posted on this a long time ago, and i just skipped down from where I was called an ass and I will respond here! :D

Your a freakin idiot....EA bought OSI they didnt dismatle it. EA BOUGHT OSI. EA happens to own many companies, even thoguh yes the into movie now says EA, osi is still a portion of EA..

congrats on looking retarded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:47 am 
Well most of you read my site like the devil reads the bible, first of all its only 2$ second, its not as much a payment to earn from, but as it sayes to pay for the server and connetion,.....

Yes I belive most of you would not pay, but then again most of you dont like playing on a shard with scritc rules, long lasting events, that controles a lot of the gameplay.
Most of you only play on freeshards to hack and slash, and to be able to get all you wernt able to get overnight on OSI shards.....

You might belive it or not, but there is a lot of players that gave up on freeshards because of bad driven shards and terribel OwN PLayERs CaLL anybody nOObs... and they are more than happy to donate 2$ for the shard to play on, its not that diffrrent from the donation thing most shards have now. On my last shard I got more donation monny in ? year than I would get from 200 players on 2 years in this way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:00 am 
The Defenestrator
The Defenestrator

Anonymous wrote:
Well most of you read my site like the devil reads the bible, first of all its only 2$ second, its not as much a payment to earn from, but as it sayes to pay for the server and connetion,.....

Yes I belive most of you would not pay, but then again most of you dont like playing on a shard with scritc rules, long lasting events, that controles a lot of the gameplay.
Most of you only play on freeshards to hack and slash, and to be able to get all you wernt able to get overnight on OSI shards.....

You might belive it or not, but there is a lot of players that gave up on freeshards because of bad driven shards and terribel OwN PLayERs CaLL anybody nOObs... and they are more than happy to donate 2$ for the shard to play on, its not that diffrrent from the donation thing most shards have now. On my last shard I got more donation monny in ? year than I would get from 200 players on 2 years in this way.

So you are saying that ALL of us are terrible players that only want hack 'n slash, easy skillgain and the such? You're certainly not the brightest. The fact that you are asking ANY kind of money for your shard is, besides illegal, very stupid. There are GREAT shards out there who give daily/weekly events/quests and more. If you even get players with this (which I wouldn't recommend the player to pay for) it is STILL illegal. You could be sued for this.

Next up would be that there's nothing wrong with PvP shards. If you don't like them, don't play on them. Simple as that. But the ONLY reason I (and many others) are making a shard is for the fun of the players, and the staff. And if players have fun in PvP, then so be it. There is NOTHING wrong with that, so don't even DARE to use that as an insulting remark.

Donation money is alright, because you aren't forcing people to pay if they want to play on your shard. Apart from that, it's not illegal. Im personally not to fond of "Donate $50, and get a kickass sword ingame" either.

**edit**. And it's pretty stupid to claim you are the only shard with "strict rules and long lasting events". Heh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:55 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

My shard will have strict rules, long lasting events, a kickass custom map, statics, graphics, hues, skills, and more... AND it will not focus on hack-n-slash.

AND it will be free....

How ya like them apples? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:45 pm 
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

haha nice, mine has been in the [planning for a long time heres a few of the custom scripts being implimented...

- hall shard capability and creation
- race languages
- a independent multi-shard community and market.

(all based on our scripted multi-verse system and the cooperation of three like shards :D

free of course

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:50 am 
Something Offensive
Something Offensive

I'm with Rose and Cal. It's pretty obnoxious to assume that no one else is capable of creating a decent shard that isn't full of l33t d00dz just because ours are/will be free to join.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:22 am 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Personally, I think charging to play a Private UO shard is just rediculas. 80% of the shards out there anyways are just people that download an EMU, set it up on thier home PC, and think it would be fun to admin the thing.. download some neat 'sounding' scripts, and screw the shard up within weeks.. causing players griefe and waisted time.
I was just curious too, Argon.. you posted on your website on 1-19-04 that you were looking for map makers.. and on 2-2-04 you state that your new 'Maps' are almost finished? wow. sounds almost too good to be true :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:28 am 
well you got a point there, it might be because several mapmakers have been working on it.......but then again, and the fact (if you bothered to read the webpage) that we use maps expanding with the story line on the shard......

Ohhh another thing, most of you stil read my website like the devil reads the bible, and I?m not forcing anybody to pay anything, second donation and what I do aint so diffrent, and get it right this time its to pay for connetion, and all the other expencives,....

But most of you are so keen on flaming so keep up the spirit, flame all you want.....

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next