Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 3:02 pm 
Young
Young

Ok Ryandor you wanted to be able to make big multi maps like perhaps one for the world set by Tolkein?

Or perhaps what I am about to start (Midkemia) by Feist......

Using worldforge I have got the option to make my enitre own RPG, first I want to start with the one based upon the Fesit books.
Im gonna need your help but if you want I am going to map the maps on UO first then when the game is ready use the new tiles, and everything making my maps for a whole new game.............

the cool thing is i dont have a limit to the tiles made by uo or the size map made by uo :)))

lemme know if ya wanna help me :D

Its a long way off but I will get it (the game) started in scripting phases soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 3:33 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

What programming language is the final game going to be made in, and is it going to be fully 3D?

I emagine you'll run into a few problems with converting the static files for use with 3D models... they will have to be very precise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 5:43 pm 
Young
Young

Hey Sydius are you familiar with worldforge.org?

To check out what these things are goto the url above :D

The servers are STAGE wich is the actualy game server and Chyphesis which will be the sencondary/AI server.

And we will be using XClient, which is totally 3d......

STAGE, Chyphesis, and XClient, are always in a state of updating and STAGE is not finished yet so as i said it will be much farther down the road..

But should be an interesting opportunity, the game when finished will be able to be downlaoded from my website free of charge and no fee to play either!

Can you imagine playing a mage in the world of tolkien totally 3d? LOL it will be frkn awsome, although as i also said i want todo Tolkien last, for it will be a much larger project..

Delerious

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 7:47 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

Hrm...

Well it will be a lot of work converting the UO map to a good 3D map...

I mean, UO doesn't even have a lot of things you need to have to have a good 3D map. That's why they couldn't make UO3D fully 3D.

Pluss if your replacing all the 2D artwork in UO with fully 3D artwork, well, it's going to make the 500MB that 2D UO uses look small ;-)

If you replace every character/tile/item in UO with a 3D model, it will be at least 700MB+ of artwork alone.

I wont be playing it if that's the case, I'm on dial-up ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 8:02 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

I scanned through some of that site, it looks like an interesting project to me (when you first said Worldforge, I thought you ment WorldForge lol)...

Like I said above, though, that's a huge download, and if your making anywhere near commercial-quality RPG of that magnitude, you'll be lucky to push it down to 500MB in Artwork... All the textures, models, and so on included, it's simply not technologically possible to shrink it much more than that and keep any amount of detailed quality with that many graphics. (I couldn't find any screenshots of XClient, though, so I have no idea of it's quality)...

If you can get it down below 500MB, and still have everything UO has, well, you can be sure the quality will suck. :-(

Anyway go for it :-) Looks like fun, but I already have a 3D engine of my own started, and it has a long way to go, so I'll be pretty busy ;-) (Ry has already been making little mazes with my first/second engines, he knows how far they have to go... they are *SAD*)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've actually known about Worldforge for a while. I stumbled across it last year sometime, but it wasn't (apparently) as evolved as it is now. Still after a brief look through, I really don't have the time to get it up and running at this point. Del: I'll let you do the running on this one, but I'll catch up eventually. In the near future, I plan on expanding to other map projects besides UO. Worldforge is very much worth considering.

Keep me updated on this!

-Ryandor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 9:15 am 
Young
Young

Well the thing is the servers made by them are of course way from being done, as are the graphics, but its never to late to start!

Oh yea and Ry I know the guys from CoXDev (the dark age of camelot) emulator, and eventually I think you will have to figure out how to do maps for them cause i think u and syd are the only ones that can figure that crap out lol

j/m

No serious one of these days I am gonna work on some tools for that