Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:05 am 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Several months ago, I had offered my service to Ryan (one of RunUO's Developers) to help him create a custom map for his own use. Talking with him through out the map making process, and Static making, He mentioned to me that they were working on an "IN GAME" command to freeze items into the statics.
"This will make useing any other programs unnesisary, for world building" he said to me. Although, still no ability to alter the actual Map tiles, I thought that sounded really great, yet somewhat hard to believe to be true.
I had forgetten about that discussion up untill last night (4-14, sometime around 2 am) when I was up late studying some script code, and popped on the RunUO forums to see if the next beta was released..
There it was.. the IN GAME commands he mentioned.
For any of you in Disbeliefe, I have tested this out, and it works absolutly wonderfull.
Basicly, for those of you building on your home PC, and runing both the client and EMU on the same PC, you should create a seperate folder with the nesisary files (listed files are found in Scripts/Misc/DataPath.cs ) and run RunUO from that folder.
Let me just say, that you build somthing, and as easy (probly easier for most of you) as you would export items to a *.wsc file, you type .freeze, target the area, and it is "Froze" to the statics files. You are done.
Close client, update the statics files from the folder your EMU is running from, to your UO folder, and reload. your building is frozen to statics.
Yeah, there is another EMU that has this ability i believe, but does it have the capability of the powerfull programing language C# has to offer? no. (you need to understand C# before you can argue its potential, trust me)
Sorry, guys, but there is no EMU out there that has the capability of RunUO. Maybe they are more completed, from the default releases, but in the end, you are still limited badly to what you can code.
Anyways, I sence an argument here, so I will leave it at that.. *hides*

Post subject: d
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:47 pm 
i thought the benefit of maknig item.wsc files was that you could just keepa bunch of them lying around (like you say that you have , dian) for later use. with this system it sounds like it just adds them into the statics permenantly in one shot. ill look it up tho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:50 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

right, that is somthing I do anyways, and will do reguardless. But It is easy for me to export a building to a *.wsc file, and simply re-import that building to the excat spot I exported it from, in seconds. and now, I can do one last command, and I am finished. 3 in game simple fast commands, and I have my building saved on file, and frozen to the statics.

Oh, did I mention that you can Melt any statics as well, from the In game command .Unfreeze? melt an area, your entire map even, with a simple command. Done, modify somthing, and then re-freeze the area. all in game, ;)
Words can not express my feelings for this improvment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:14 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

I?m in a bad mood so I?m sure Ry will delete this if he is still alive. Been a while since I?ve released a little frustration towards UO.

In my humble opinion, and this is coming from my complete lack of experience in programming (I only do it for a living), but C# is for complete imbeciles and lazy procrastinating bastards. Ok, I?m an imbecile, and I?m a very lazy procrastinator, but not even *I* am that lazy. It?s a pitiful language that is the equivalent to Java and Visual Basic ? languages for hobby and in-company use only; for good reason.

With that said, RunUO is for lazy procrastinating bastards who are even lazier than the procrastinating bastards that made it. Not that any other emulator is better; in my humble opinion, they all suck. You know what, in my opinion, UO is for lazy procrastinating bastards that don?t have a life. Bah.

You?ve now been kicked in the balls by the peanut gallery.

P.S. POL has that ability as well, with the right scripts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:11 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Syd.. Im sorry you have a bitter taste in your mouth, and I give you plenty of room here. I have seen the animosity, and griefe that a lot of the idiots gave you on the RunUO boards.. and to say the least, I would probly feel much the same as you have just expressed here.
As for C# being a scripting program for the lazy people.. why not? is there any purpose in making someone code, code and code to make somthing simple? I had a POL shard, bad example of languages, yea.. but you know damn well that language requires 10x the code, that the same script in C# would take... ( okay, maybe you dont know, but its the realistic truth)
anyways, Syd.. sorry you feel like this, and again, I cant balme you.
btw, that tool you made, that was some great work man. just, mho. ;)

well, take care man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The post stands, but I just moved it. Since technically, it should have been moved in the first place ;)

Dian, excellent reply. Not be dragged down by Syd takes some effort.
I can't wait to see if this keeps going :P

-Ryandor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:25 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

I went to the RunUO boards the day they came online (well, at least publicly), but never registered or posted there, so if someone is giving me hell there, I never saw it. At least I don?t remember it, at any rate.

As for your comments about coding, in my opinion, if you?re not going to do something the right way the first time, you might as well not do it at all. In my opinion, C# is not the ?right? way. While, I will give you this, it IS faster to code in, that benefit is completely nullified in my opinion by it?s relative lack of power, flexibility, and, most importantly, in my opinion, speed. If you need something done in a hurry, use VB (that?s pretty much the only reason it was made) ? if you need something serious made, use C/C++, and if you need speed above all else, assembly. A MMORPG server, in my opinion, should be, for the most part, coded in assembly, but even C++ is a much better alternative than C#. After all, a server shouldn?t be coded because it?s easy to code, but because it?s fast, efficient, and powerful.

An extreme example of what I mean would be all those guys who say they?re going to write an operating system in QB. While, I admit, that?s more ludicrous than anything related to RunUO, it?s along the same lines as the point I?m trying to make: C# is not designed for final products which need speed and efficiency. It was made for (for the most part) in-company projects etc. that end-users will never see, and thus the quality is not nearly as demanding.

Oh and thanks :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:46 am 
Something Offensive
Something Offensive

I'm going to write a new space shuttle control program for NASA using QB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:18 am 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

What's sad is that it's probably already written in QB... :-(

Post subject: Hey Ry,
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:05 pm 
Something Offensive
Something Offensive

wouldn't suprise me much