Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Whats up!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:41 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Hey folks, Anybody still kicking here? :)

UO Emulation still a decent sized beast, has it died down any in the last year or so?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:27 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I'm still alive. Took a brief hiatus from all things UO. Plus my work's new site filter is blocking my access to all the UO related sites. :(

I think things are slowly declining as is natural for a program that is over 10 years old.

But I'll tell you something. Recently I have been considering the option of building my shard using a more up-to-date game engine. But there are very few alternatives, and the ones that are out there are nowhere near as powerful as the UO emulators that are available (so far as flexibility to build a game server with such things as player housing, huge game world, full crafting, etc.)

The closest thing that I found that would even be close to allowing me to build a UO-style world in a modern engine is Neverwinter Nights 2. And there are a lot of limitations with that one, especially regarding player housing and the size of the game world.

Everything else I found either has crappy graphics and/or isn't powerful enough to allow me to do all the things I want to do; or are only frameworks that would force me to program the entire game from scratch.

So - looks like I am sticking with the old (but powerful!) UO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:45 am 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

There will always be a certain appeal to UO because of its simplicity. 3D map editing, for example, is usually not as easy to understand or do. There's also the general "Ultima" feel that I can't find in any other game.

That said, I think the modern EA interpretation of UO is not very fun at best, and tacky the rest of the time, so I don't play anymore. I haven't tried the new client with the fancy new art, though I must say it looks very good (except the characters).

I have been playing EverQuest II, been working on my own MiniMO (as I call it), blogging, working as a programmer (finally), and, in general, trying to keep afloat.