Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Been A While...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:01 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Boy, it's been a while since I last posted on here. Me and a few friends have been reunited and are working on a UO server again. Yay! I'm just dropping in here to see how everyone is and who all hangs out around here. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:14 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

hehe, we're both crawling back from the void :p heya

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:50 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

lol! Yeah, tell me about it. I was exploring other game development avenues. But for some damn reason UO just keeps drawing me back in. I am learning C++ and what not, so I have plans to eventually create a game engine that captures what UO had. Thus then people would be able to create their own games instead of using an EMU. But this is down the road of course. :P

Post subject: LOL....
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:03 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Welcome to the club.... you an about 30 other people I know are doin the same thing. To bad people can't bann together an do ONE or TWO master projects that actually works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:10 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yep. I agree Pollando. I have been watching one particular developer but that project seems to have come to a halt. Plus the "commercially" available stuff like RealmGen are really crappy. Besides that if you want to have more than a world with like 5 different mobile types then you end up paying a ton of money and their basic scripts are so bad that they're what you'd expect from a free server.

You might check out http://www.fantasyrealmonline.com. Chris the Avatar has been developing a client/server system. He was originally going to sell it but in the last few posts he's made he's been making noises toward releasing it as an open source project. His last post was in July of this year so I am not sure about the status of the project. In that post he said the first official release was close to being ready. Unfortunately I don't know what format the graphics files will be in. However he is supposed to be creating or have created a map and terrain editor.

I still don't understand why it is so hard for people to pool their resources together in creating some system. I suppose it's a matter of being able to let someone else have a piece of the action plus the desire to have something done your own way. Both attitudes I understand completely. It would speed things up a bit if we could overcome those tendancies however but then again we are all human too.
*grins*

Titus 2:13

Post subject: well...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:31 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

According to the link you posted....

Dated July 1 they are in Beta 2 phase.

It looks interesting, but far to simplistic for my tatstes. I guess I'm spoiled. Hopefully with time and continued developement, it'll be a fine alternative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:41 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Well I don't have a problem assembling a team up to go and do it. Why don't we band up together? I know with members such as yourself, Hellrazor, etc. we should be able to come up with a way to get this done. Then there is myself and another friend I have that could help.

Next thing is, do we make it an open source project or private? I was leaning towards open source, so that other people could join in and help out. Because I've got some killer features in mind that I find lacking in other engines. Not to mention any other ideas you guys might have.

To make a long post short, I'm game for getting something rolling and with weekly blog updates regarding development of the project. As much as I enjoy using UO EMU's, it would be nice to get away from it and create an engine that is independent from EA. Thus would give the option of people and their worlds to charge for people to play, etc.