Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:29 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

You guys probably have used this tool. I would like to know if there are any specific guidelines, I should bear in mind when creating the altitude map. Can I create different heights for each pixel? What bugs might occur, etc...please tell me of your experience on UOL map making.

Thanks.

Post subject: UOL?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:57 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Been my experience you will be hard pressed to find any help in THIS board using the UOL (www.orbsydia.ca) tool. I consider khaybel of Orbsydia of friend, aswell as several people here on this board. That said, the problem is these 2 boards DO NOT get along and I highly doubt they every will again. which is to bad really, considering this is a FREE enviroment an nobody makes any money so why all the bickering in the first place.... ohwell kidds will be kidds I guess ;)

Pal

Post subject: Re: UOL?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:34 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Pallando wrote:
Been my experience you will be hard pressed to find any help in THIS board using the UOL (www.orbsydia.ca) tool. I consider khaybel of Orbsydia of friend, aswell as several people here on this board. That said, the problem is these 2 boards DO NOT get along and I highly doubt they every will again. which is to bad really, considering this is a FREE enviroment an nobody makes any money so why all the bickering in the first place.... ohwell kidds will be kidds I guess ;)

Pal

I find it to be speculation that the two boards do not "like" each other. If one wants to start calling others "kids", then it should be at least informed.

Why the lack of reponses:
1. Khaybel has made it clear, he perfers Orbsydia as the sole source of information for UOL. So offering support outside that is not in the wishes of the board.
2. The post is not posted in the correct forum. This is not a question on Worldmaker tools. It would be more approriate in other forums (chat, general, etc).
3. It just hasn't been read, or there isn't anything to offer. Post relevant to workmaker some times go for some time without response.

As for dislike, I don't know of that many who "dislike" the board. It is true, that I for one, disagree with their approach, and find the tatics to be misleading at times. But that isn't a personal dislike, but a lack of respect for the approach. Two different things. UOL appears to be a reasonable tool, personal feelings don't change that.

The last item I feel is appropriate to comment is the reference: " .., nobody makes any money so why all the bickering in the first place". This implies that unless money is involved, things aren't worth disagreeing about. I consider myself fortunate, that the things I feel most passionate about, and willing to stand for, have little to do with money.

As to the poster, I would highly suggest you ask at http://www.orbsydia.ca (the site is back up or so I have heard). You would get a far more complete answer, with the probablity of a larger audience relative to the tool, then I have to offer.

Post subject: rebuttal ....
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:51 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Mr. Punt .... Why get so touchy over truths we've all seen for years. Did I say YOU specificaly or do you feel guilty over something you said in the past? It's kinda funny when somebody makes a comment (like I did here) on an Orb post, Khaybel normaly chooses to pass on comments taking the higher moral ground and passing on starting a flame post thread.....

Speculation .. ?
I have been lurking in Ryandor, Orb, Run, Sphere, etc etc for years. I have read many of the post that have been involved in trash talking others and there sites. The fact of the matter is alot of people cut down other people in vain efforts to build themselves and there "territory" up. Now, thats not sayin YOU or Khaybel or ORB or Ryandor.com or anybody else said or did anything specific, Many people do it ... All that said, I have had many many conversation with people over the years on both sides of this specific issue. What is the problem with admiting the 2 teams just don't get along and leave it at that? NOBODY pointed any blame or mentioned any "He said" "She said" garbage.
So, Mr. Punt, My "SPECULATION" is my opinion based on many many many many factors I have seen myself.

Yes Robert has made it very clear he would like to keep ANY/ALL UOL support on Orb. Makes perfect sense to me.... Why get multiple tools all mixed up in multiple boards all over the net. Even tho I currently prefer YOUR MG2 tool I prefer the clear and concise way ORB organizes the board, its forums, sections and all info in general. (Granted that is when he is up an running) When is Ryandors main site returning btw ? "SOON" came an went awhile ago didn't it ?

You are correct, the original post here WAS in the wrong forum. But I believe I got that point thru also. But maybe the poster got confused on the term "WORLDMAKER" but, brand naming is another issue that will not be discussed here.

The "hasn't been read comment" ... it was read 16 times befor I posted. Which is is why I told the poster what I did.

Khaybel/ORB tactics and approach...
I see no difference....
"lack of respect due to different approach" - OMG Punt did you really say that? What kind of man disrepects ANYBODY because someone else does something left handed instead of right handed like they do it ?
WOW ... >shakes head<

The FREE comment so why fights about it stands......
The ONLY reason people fight over stuff on the UO issues is pure "I'm BETTER than you" If this community, Orb, Run, Sphere, Pol, etc etc etc all got together putting aside the "mine is better" BULLSHIT... can you imagine the massive tool set we would all have to work with ?

AS I said to the poster.... please go to http://www.orbsydia.ca or contact Khaybel directly thru his MSN (adress posted on Orb)

lastly Mr. Punt
YES, Orb IS up again ..... The speculation on Khaybel and ORB's situation as disscussed on this board MANY times the past year has little to do with the informed truth and basic human compasion to anothers temperary misfortunes. Instead of laughing and pointing fingers that he was down or the community was dead, some could have asked if everything was ok or did he need help? personaly or professionaly ..... guess YOU never thought of that tho.

Professional Mr Punt... I believe YOU do an amazing job with your tools. I am a totaly convert from Dragon AND UOL, using MG2 instead now. I just wonder how Orb's "GENESIS Project" will change things AGAIN.

:roll: Pal
"Slides into his handy firemans suit"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:11 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well, first I believe your post served little then a flame to begin with. It didn't even post a link to where he could go, but rather, just how the two boards didn't like each other.

respect, yes I did say that. But it is based on what I have experienced and seen. That may not be what you have seen or experienced. I most certainly do not profess to have the experiences that others may have given, but I do have mine. The tatics I have experiences personally, as an orb developer, and as a fellow developer, I do not repesct nor support. As for high ground, each can decide what is high. If one didn't want a response, then I am not sure the purpose of your post. It didn't answer the question the oringal person asked, and apparntly you didn't want one to comment on it either.
But each has to decide what the high ground is for them. To me, I felt this was worth responding to, for perhaps a multple set of reasons.

I am sure Gensis will be a wonderful tool. I personally always felt the more choices and support, the better for all. One of the reasons I have always made my formats open, as the code.

You provide rational for why Orb wants their site to be the center. I did not challenge the thought, but stated that may be factor in responding. What I provided was why perhaps no response. A post that has been read 16 times, and perhaps by the same person multiple times, is not a well read post in my opinon.

Personally, I find it interesting that people develop emotional attachments to developers of the tools, and allow it to be such a factor. I have tools and products that I use, that I may not personally like the people making them. But as long as they dont violate basic things that I do respect, I am ok with it. Others have to make their own choices.

Post subject: Re: UOL?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:28 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Pallando wrote:

Hmm
1. Looks like a link in there to me.
2. from what you been saying in this thread YOU DON'T LIKE him... Whats the problem with admitting it then ?

So basically....

3. your whole problem here is "kidds will be kidds".
YOUR interpretation of it must have been that I was saying you an this comunity must be bunch of children squabbling over there toys... I was NOT. What it was meaning was.... same ole same ole, we shouldn't expect any less in a competitive enviroment. My fault, I need to choose my words better when there is thin skin around (yes I mean't that as It sounded)

I DO NOT have an emotional attachment to ORB, Khaybel, Ryandor, Punt, or any other site or developer. What I do have is a severe disslike to people that jump on a simple 4 word comment and make into some motive that was mean't to trash and dissmantle an entire communities reputation.

But, then again .... "kidds will be kidds, boys will be boys, shit happens, etc etc etc etc ....... I'f i'd have said "grown mature adult men will be grown mature adult men" you'd be fine.... But somebody else could have thought I mean't something... Don't get drugg in so easy punt, makes you look something other than the ... oh never mind

Thanks for ultimately proving my veiled passive agressive point tho ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:17 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

You seem to relate lack of respect, with like and dislike. I dislike people that I can respect, and vice versa. However, again, each has their own value system, and own interpertation. For instance, many people on Orb seem likeable enough. I have no issue doing many thing with Khaybel, from my exposure, he seems nice enough. However, I disagree strongly with my understanding of his approach to software developement , and his approach to choosing tools to hype. In that arena, no, I would not work with him, for I don't respect, or agree with the approach. To me it very easy and clear, I have no dislike for anyone at Orb. If by your interpertation, I dislike orb, that is decision. To me, a world of difference.

What I do dislike, is posts that basically do nothing more, then are nothing more then something they are lobbying against. Such as your original. My dislike in this thread, is to your post, not to Orb. For it didn't seem to serve much, but be name calling, which was essentially the post was complaining about.

As to the link, you are correct. I did miss that, and stand corrected. It did offer it.

Clearly each will draw their own opinon, and belief what they choose, regardless of anything stated here (thus why I consder this a good time killer, little more). You acknowledge you had some motive in your post, which you feel has been proven. If you feel it has been proven, and that makes you feel somehow better, then this thread served some purpose. To me, it served little but kill some idle time. But I will acknowledge, that at this point, it doesn't even accomplish that well. So, you apparently got what you wanted out of it, and I did as well (time killed). So we both walk away accomplished.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:08 pm 
Newb
Newb

Wow something that made me register after so long...

Quote:
What I do dislike, is posts that basically do nothing more, then are nothing more then something they are lobbying against. Such as your original. My dislike in this thread, is to your post, not to Orb. For it didn't seem to serve much, but be name calling, which was essentially the post was complaining about.

So you must dislike all your posts than because you have accomplished the very same thing. Here is a little tid bit of info for you so you know for next time. People who do not care, or are not offend, or believe that something is really dumb or pointless do not take part in said action. So if everything you said is true and you believe as you do, which I am sure you don't and just said it to put your self on some type of pedestal and look cool in front of everyone. I really hate it when people say I am all about this and i'm this but can't follow what they say. Next time be more aware and follow your "morals" thank you and good night :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:44 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

One is free to feel about how they choose. I have many flaws, no doubt. My dislike was toward the first post, and my response, which only offered why there may not have been responses.

If you feel I want to be on a pedestal in this community, that is of course, your right. I don't participate much in it, so I find it hard to follow the logic (one would normally be active, to want to be seen on a pedestal).

I will point out, my response was geared toward whether I liked or disliked, respected, or disrespected, anyone. It was offering why others may not respond, other then dislike. When the response was they disliked others who choose to attack (or whatever) communities, it was then I disliked the post, for it then seemed to serve nothing more then to attempt to bring forth more back and forth on the said subject.

And yes, many times I look back, and do dislike my posts. Some are made when I am in an argumentative mood, others when tired, etc. I would never claim I have liked everything I have said, or even had regrets. So in general, you are quite correct.

Last edited by punt on Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:17 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Come on guys, let's just drop it.

There is no "dislike" between orbsydia.com and ryandor.com, that would be pretty silly since we largely cater to the same audience.

This thread is becoming an excuse to beat up on punt, a guy who certainly doesn't deserve it considering the tons of utilities and assistance he has provided the UO emulation community over the years.

If you have some personal issue with punt, take it offline to PM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:00 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

hehe, I agree the post is way off topic by now, and should end. But no issues with people expressing an opinion about me. They are perfectly entitled have one, and voice it. That isn't an issue for me.

But that should probably be another thread, something like: punt sucks or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's nice to know that the community is alive and well, regardless of "SOON" status :P

-Ryandor

Post subject: I agree with Pallando
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:32 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'd have to agree with Pallando on this one! And also Ryandor too, it's nice to see the board is getting used :D

~Imprint~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:29 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I agree AND disagree with everyone. On everything.

Post subject: here, here ...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:10 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I agree with that Xuri guy .......

but at the same time, That Pallando guy is a real bozo too

But seriously... this was not intended to be a smash PUNT post. I merely answered a post with a little to much personal oppinion instead of 100% fact. When PUNT took offense, I should have just let it go... I didn't, my fault. AND ... As I beleive I said, Punt is a hard working developer of this community and greatly appreciated by all... including THIS opinionated ol'fart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:48 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

We have to band together against the scourge that is EA.

THEY'LL NEVER TAKE AWAY MY FREEDOM!

*Raaaaaahhhhhh*

Oh, and yeah, it is cool to see the board being used, nice to see some new faces posting and helping out. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:12 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Quote:
But seriously... this was not intended to be a smash PUNT post. I merely answered a post with a little to much personal oppinion instead of 100% fact. When PUNT took offense, I should have just let it go... I didn't, my fault. AND ... As I beleive I said, Punt is a hard working developer of this community and greatly appreciated by all... including THIS opinionated ol'fart.

No worries, isnt that the purpose of a discussion board? To actualy have more then just factual interaction? One of course has to be prepared to sometimes get responses that may reflect the mood of a person that day, or always. Take it for what it is worth, and have fun with the discussion.

That is why I am fine with people having, and voicing, their opion of me. Some I may feel warranted (for that day at least), others always, and some never. No biggie to me! So, I have no worries! Interaction is better then getting to the point where no discussion takes place (then no concepts, ideas, etc or exchanged).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:12 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Soapbox time! (I should have been a preacher).

I just didn't want to see it degenerating into a "Ryandor vs. Orb" thread or even a "punt vs. Rob" thread which is why I spoke up. Because it kind of started with an insinuation that there was some issue between the 2 web sites (and there isn't so far as I am aware); and then when punt refuted that, he became the focus of an attack. It kind of goes beyond the point of a rational discussion.

I mean, I don't see how much good can be done by saying something like this to a new member:

"Been my experience you will be hard pressed to find any help in THIS board using the UOL (www.orbsydia.ca) tool. I consider khaybel of Orbsydia of friend, aswell as several people here on this board. That said, the problem is these 2 boards DO NOT get along and I highly doubt they every will again. which is to bad really, considering this is a FREE enviroment an nobody makes any money so why all the bickering in the first place.... ohwell kidds will be kidds I guess "

So basically a new guy is being told, "you won't find any help here for an Orbsydia tool, and there is a big war going on between Ryandor and Orbsydia, they don't get along and never will".

This kind of blatantly incorrect statement invites the type of bickering that supposedly no one wants.

Whatever is between punt and Rob (good, bad, or indifferent) is between them. They only speak for themselves, they don't speak for everyone who happens to use the same forums as they do. Leave it with them to sort out and don't make it out to be a Ryandor vs. Orb kind of thing. We basically all share the same audience and our community is shrinking, not growing, so we really should all be working together as one community rather than sniping at each other.

Not to mention that although both punt and Rob are opinionated and passionate about what they do, I've never seen either one of them become hostile toward one another. They've had disagreements about some things, but people can disagree with one another without it becoming some kind of big shitstorm.

And sorry if it seems like I am picking on you Pallando because I don't mean to, other than just this one thread you've been really helpful and active in the forums here and I hope you continue because we need more people to be involved. It's just this one thread I have issue with. I agree with a few of the things you have brought up, but I think you've gone about saying it in the wrong way and you've made a few blanket statements about ryandor.com that are way off base. I'm sure it wasn't intentional and that you are probably frustrated with infighting in the community. It's just that this isn't the way to solve that. :)

One of the things I like the most about both Ryandor.com and Orbsydia.com is that they are both very friendly places to come visit and to get help. We really only have these 2 sites to come to for this type of thing, we don't need to generate controversy where there isn't any to be found. IMHO.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox. :) Aren't you glad?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:56 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Summary of HellRazor's post for those who can't be bothered to read that much text:

THINK HAPPY THOUGHTS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:41 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

*** As the winds of HELL fan the flames, Pallando holds tight to his newspaper***

..... EXIT STAGE LEFT (Thinking ONLY happy thoughts)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:09 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Yeah I think that about sums it up. I'm such a blowhard.

Happy thoughts = win!

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:31 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

As Cartmen would say....."DAMNIT!"

I missed a chance to flame someone?!!! :evil:

But I did get a chance to dig up a dead post again! :P That is the power of positive thinking in action!

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:36 pm 
Young
Young

*Pokes Head out of wood work*

just to state on my end, orb and ryandor both great sites for world design. We have our take on how we run our sites, as far as Ryandor here or me on orb.

As for punt and I, we worked out our differences in chat more than half a year ago. I think punt is an great programmer, and I have a lot of respect for him, and others here at ryandor.com ..

as for orb, I'm working on on trying to support our tools better, sure its taken a while to build a proper manual for uoar but I'm slowly getting there as health permits.

I don't want any ill will between our communties, when it comes down to it, we all have our own take on how we want to improve our uo experiences.

have a good summer guys, good luck with projects,

Peace!

what is sleep?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:05 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Well said! :)