Yes, wipe the forums, add a Wiki/KB 35%  35%  [ 8 ]
No, the current forums are fine. 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
No, the current forums are fine, but a Wiki/KB would be nice 48%  48%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 23
 Post subject: Possible forum change.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Over the last couple years I've had lots of feedback over the forums, but I've always been very insistent on keeping the forums open and having everything else around them. I've been able to aviod wiping it, in spite of everything, and the worse rollback was only about 2 days.

However, thinking about what I want to do with the site in general, and considering how hard it is to search for answers in the forums, I've been considering a wipe and restart.

Now, it's just not a matter of restarting the forums, as there's still a lot of good info buried in the forums. One of the things I've played around with before is a wiki, and provided it's used properly, could be an excellent replacement for the "core" help people come to the forums to look for. Using a wiki (or any type of Knowledge Base, for that matter) would make searching for, and documenting WorldMaker, Dragon, and general UO stuff a lot easier.

Wiping the forums would also allow other benefits for the site as a whole. I could finally get a decently inegrated website, avoiding login issues that have plagued the site, along with making it easier for me to add content and stuff (something I find not real easy at the moment).

So I put it the forum members:
Should I wipe the forums? Please vote!

Thanks,
Ryandor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:20 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Hardly anyone reads the entire forums looking for answers but I think it would be prudent to save all the sticky's to transfer or copy over to the new forums.

Perhaps copies of all the main post that are linked to would be helpful.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:25 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

There is a ton of useful info archived here.

How about another option : If you switch, leave the old forums online for archival purposes. Just don't allow anyone to post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:50 am 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

A wiki would be good, except I think it would come out feeling empty and incomplete, like most wikis for small(ish) projects I come across. I think a wiki is a fine idea, but leave the forums up until the wiki is filled out and feeling mature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:00 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

I like the idea of a fresh forum, while putting these in the vault.

I almost like the Wiki idea, though not real clear what intentions you have in mind for it.. It is something I question why you/we would want to put time/effort into.
Bottom line, if you leave the keys in the ignition of your car whenever you park it somewhere, its only a matter of time until it gets vandalized and/or stolen.

*shrugs* Anyway, let us know when its all setup, and ready to roll :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:37 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

There alot of usefull information buried here, posted by people that may never be back to the community. I welcome any new means so long as this forum remains open if not just for browsing, allowing no new posts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:56 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Personaly, considering I am a fairly new user here, I se no problem with a wipe if it accompanied by a wiki. However, I hate to se all the excelent information here lost. After all, this is the place that inspired me to start my own (rather feeble!) career as a mapmaker.

The one thing I have been missing is a clear and structured FAQ. There is loads of information, but it is not condensed into a format that is easy to use/view. A wiki that covers the basics (and eventualy the more advanced) would be amazing. The problem is, it requires a rather large effort on the behalf of those who have the experience with mapmaking. Id say its worth it, and I will add whatever knowledge I can to help complete it.

In many ways, it would be the best way to go. A lot of posts here deal with similar topics. If we could merge everything into a wiki, the gains would far outweight the drawbacks (save the nostalgia ofc :) ). So yes, im all for a wipe+wiki.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:11 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I'm with HellRazor and rage88 on this one, new forum, leave this one intact and close it for signups/new posts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:52 am 
Young
Young

Hi, i'm new in this forum. I think that Ryandor should do a backup and release it. I found a lot of useful tutorials, the best i have ever seen, and I want to list all tutorials and remake them into a printable or pdf format (sorry if my english is not understandable, i am not used to post in english forums ^^). Some time ago, when i had a spanish website of Ultima Online development, i translated some of these tutorials (Ryandor agreed, if i recall well). I want to return to my personal project and i want to translate all the tutorials of the forum. So releasing a backup could be a good idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:14 am 
Newb
Newb

Hi, a'm also new at this forum. the big amount of links doesn't work. So i think that the best idea to Make new forum on Invision. And the old one just move to another location

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:18 am 
Master
Master

Lets do the wiki together first, then we could clearly determine if it is necessary to wipe forums out. If you will require an artist support in website design, call me in. I will be glad to help, due of overall help and friendship i've found over there.

Xenoth out.

"Be calm and silent, as Darkness care not of passions and lies. Be patient and cold, as Darkness exists out of borders of time and emotions. Just be yourself, as You are in the Darkness and Darkness is inside of you."
-Dark Ones Doctrine, 2001y (c)-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:01 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

If there are no DB problems, there is really no reason for wipe. When i searching for something, i always like to read discussions for that theme, because i can find not only sollution for my problem, but other interesting ideas. Even offtopic is sometimes usefull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:44 am 
Even offtopic is sometimes usefull.