Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anime Expo! Wooo!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:49 am 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

I am going on an all-expense-paid trip to LA for five days and four nights with my girlfriend and most of the people at Okashi. We are attending the Anime Expo there, and will have our own booth and everything, complete with booth babes in schoolgirl uniforms (they also double as our artists...)!

I will see if I can get my picture taken next to Man-Faye.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:38 am 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

I am back from the convention. That was one of the most fun weekends of my life!

The hotel we stayed in was next to Disney Land (or World? Forget which), so every night they had an awesome firework show. It was so close that all of the car alarms at the hotel went off for the duration of the show -- it sounded like cannons being fired from ten feet away.

The convention itself was unbelievably huge - hundreds of booths, and tens of thousands of people. Since we had a booth of our own, I was allowed in early to help set it up, and when I came back out to get something, I was instantly met with ten thousand people all waiting to get in! More than half were wearing costumes of some sort, ranging from the clever to the obscene (one old man was wearing nothing but a Speedo).

Most of the booths were retailers selling all sorts of rare (and lots of common) anime things. DVDs, wall scrolls, posters, manga, toys, hentai, there was even a Playboy booth (which seemed out of place). I ended up buying a Japanese sword (made in China :-P), a hand-made poster from one of the artists in the Artist's Alley (but I think I left it in the hotel :-( ), some manga that was ultra cheap (my first, in fact), and Kathleen bought the most adorable panda hat from a company we team up with during the convention (cross-promotion) -- about two dozen people asked her where she got it during the convention -- it was so cute that we had the memorize the booth number of the people just so we knew what to tell them.

Some of the other booths were for games (maybe one or two, excluding ourselves), movies (one or two), anime series (a few), and some miscellaneous stuff like Man-Faye's cosplay contest booth and a gameshow booth. They were, of course, a lot prettier than the retailer booths -- some looked extremely expensive. Besides the big-name companies, though, we had the most high-tech booth with several large monitors.

They also had panels going all day (and night) long, including a panel we hosted on romance games. Our panel, well, *cough* sucked... it was definitely not the worst, but not many people showed up, and we had technical difficulties like you wouldn't believe (the A/V guys were morons). The people who did come and stuck through it, though, made it worthwhile afterwards since they were so genuinely interested. I did not attend any other panels, though some of the other staff did.

There was also an arcade room, complete with several variants of Dance Dance Revolution. I did not dare try, but they had seating all around them, so you could watch the experts make fools of themselves. Some of the people were really fun to watch, like this large gentleman who moved so quickly you could hardly follow him, but moved his arms in the most amusing way I could imagine.

I spent the majority of my time at the convention handing out free post cards and talking to technical people, looking to make deals and/or recruit people. There really were not too many companies or individuals in the area of programming there, so there were not a lot of people to talk to.

Oh, and, of course, I got a ton of freebies like everybody else. Some extras, in fact, since I was an official booth person who could wander around before/after it closed. Mostly posters, t-shirts, fans, etc.

The rest of the time was spent back at the hotel, where we watched a lot of anime... though, we were not in the hotels for much of the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:32 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

You could work for Disney and slip dirty graphics into their animations...it was like an Easter Egg hunt one frame at a time. :wink:

Dev