Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Never played D&D...
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:26 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

Gunna see if they have the "basic" set at the Toys R Us near my work on the way home... I mostly want the miniatures, though. The "real" rulebooks are very expensive, IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:04 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I don't think basic D&D is still printed anymore, AD&D is, but you'd have to get whatever the latest expensive version is.

Miniatures are more for the hobbyist that likes to visualize stuff, I never actually played AD&D with anyone that used them, the game is meant to be played in your head, not viewed from a map with figurines on a tabletop.

If you really wanna check the game out without investing 2 months worth of paychecks for everything, go to the local used bookstore or comic shop/hobby shop type place, and hunt through the used books. They're almost always there, I got a full set of 1st edition... many first printing... for $0.50 to $2.00 a book at one once.

I'd recommend 2nd edition, if I were to start out with no experience and read 3rd edition or players options crap, I'd never have touched the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The other thing is there's aways groups playing at local gaming shops.. you might inquire into sitting in on one of them. Many groups will more than happy to introduce you to the game.
-Ryandor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:15 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

I think they went back to calling it just D&D with the current (4th?) edition. It was a marketing thing cause they were worried the A was scaring people off, not to mention all the confusion between the 2 systems. They are of course pushing the miniatures now to make even more money, and of course because todays kids like things they can touch and feel (actually we liked miniatures back in my tabletop days but who the fuck could afford them?) Of course I don't really keep up these days, once in a while I take a glance at WOTC to see what they are up to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:20 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Actually it is 3.5 now. I just checked (I have pdf versions of a lot of the new stuff).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:58 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

They're up to 4th edition? o.O Wth, did TSR sell out to EA or something?

There was SO much time between D&D and 1st Edition AD&D, and again between 1st and 2nd edition AD&D, and again between 2nd and 3rd edition AD&D... then I see 3rd edition for sale, followed by players options crap and 3.5 and whatever the hell else it is...

Oh well, glad I don't play it anymore, I'd probably be frustrated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

RoseThorn wrote:
Wth, did TSR sell out to EA or something?

Actually TSR sold out to Wizards of the Coast, which is owned by Hasbro (or something) now...

-Ryandor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:16 am 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Yeah, it's all about selling out.
Actually the 3.5 stuff is kinda nicely done. Aside from the player options and all that other bullshit that is. Every fucking module, sourcebook and what not has to have a bunch of prestige classes; it seems to be a must. I mean I am all for options but 5000 prestige classes is ridiculous. They are just overdoing it. I can't imagine trying to be a DM and dealing with all this crap. Even as a player on a computer game (like NWN which has prestige classes) it is too much to keep up with. Of course the more they can add the more they can sell you. Just like in the old days when they went crazy with Unearthed Arcana and then like 6 more optional rulebooks on top of it. It is generally good to pick and choose parts of all this to specialize your campaign but using all of it at once is just ludicrous.
Of course when I was a teen and actually played D&D I wanted to throw it all in.

Post subject: Re: Never played D&D...
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:23 am 
Master
Master

Sydius wrote:
Gunna see if they have the "basic" set at the Toys R Us near my work on the way home... I mostly want the miniatures, though. The "real" rulebooks are very expensive, IMO.
Minis aren't required for D&D, and D&D isn't required for the minis. I have a bunch of minis that I use to play Talisman and a bunch of cheap board game (ever heard of CheapAss Games?). Whenever we set up a D&D campaign, we break them out, but they're not strictly necessary.

Also, the core rulebooks are much cheaper on eBay. I got all three (Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, DM Guide) for about $20.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:40 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

I bought the ?Basic D&D? which is a 2004 product. It is advertised as basically a gateway drug to entertain you and ease you into the real thing, which it does very well.

The book included is black and white, unlike the 3.5 books, and MUCH less detailed, but that is okay. The included adventure is decent, but I read reviews saying it is silly. The real value comes in the fact that you get 16 miniatures and all of the dice, which are just coo.

Anyway, my girlfriend and I are enjoying it, and we may just stick with the ?basic? flavor for quite some time, since it is a lot less involved. Well worth the $20 from Toys R Us.

As for the miniatures ? I know they are not required, but they are fun, and my girlfriend would not play the game if she did not have something to visually walk around. They do make battles much more interesting, though, which seem to take into account line of sight and position, which would be more difficult to grasp without something to represent players and monsters. It also came with little double-sided ?playing boards? with a dungeon drawn on them ? you can connect the various rooms in any configuration you want, which is a cool idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:22 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Miniatures are kind of fun, I enjoyed painting them more than playing with them. Mythril used to make the best but that was 16 years ago so not sure who's top dog now.

I like the first two editions, after that it just became book after book of rules and bored the hell out of me. 2nd Edition was the best in my opinion since it still had assassins which was later removed...lamers...

If you like D&D you should try the Paladium system. Its a little more complex but very detailed and fun.

The original module that came with D&D basic set was pretty fun I thought and we had a blast playing it. I enjoyed picking off orcs one by one and hanging their gutted corpse over the cave entrances with a note written in orcish saying "Your next...". :wink:

Dev