Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:38 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Split from news forum.. carry on

Ahh the old Paypal fake out...I got that one and almost fell for it before I looked at the address. Thats ok though...the FBI are taking care of them now! :twisted:

Spam has been illegal for years, following it back to the source and filing charges is a different matter however.

70% of all new government possitions with the FBI, CIA, NSA and Dept of Homeland Security are "Computer" related positions. Their about to put the smack down on the net...which is a double edged sword.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:21 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Dev Viperrious wrote:
Their about to put the smack down on the net...which is a double edged sword.

:roll:

That's what they would love you to think. First of all, there's programs like TOR, making you near untracable. Then there are open proxies, making it also near impossible to trace you. Then there's the combination, which makes it impossible to trace you.

If I setup a connection like that to a server buzzing in some 'we forgot to write any laws concerning computers' country where I rent a high speed connection for near-nothing and spam the world to death it makes it very hard to catch me. Since if I DO get caught, I just make sure the server is running a few legit websites, and show traces of being hacked.... so there's plausible deniability.

Internet cannot be controlled. It can only be policed, and that's in cybercrime 9 out of 10 times tracing the bad guys, after they did what they came for. (If you ever detect them at all)

So thinking that those people can protect you in any way is dangerous. They are very good in copyright issues regarding games / mp3 / etc. on peer-to-peer networks. So instead of fighting any real cyber crime they get sciptkiddies that manage to copy a website and lure people to login there, and the people sharing (default for all file sharing apps) their downloads, and the occasional dumb sob that is careless.

The hacker that steals corporate data and sells it is rarely caught. They are not hackers, they are security professionals, on the other team.

So stop trusting others, and start caring for your own security. Especialy on something as a PERSONAL computer, which contains a lot about your PERSON.

Just a few concerned thoughts regarding what I interpreted as a false sence of security.

Greetz
Planet_Jeroen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:18 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Umm..actually I trust no one without glowing letters on their forehead that say "GOD" and isn't wearing a t-shirt that reads "You feeling luck punk?"

As far as my personal computer goes, they would be fishing in the wrong watering hole since all my "good stuff" is on a standalone.

Your preaching to the choir.

As for being untraceable...thats exactly what they want "you" to think. Your plausable denyability was shot the instant you wrote it on this website and there is no such thing as security "anywhere".

Try your untraceability L33t sKiLlZ and send and email to the White House making a threat...bet you have someone knocking on your door in under 3 hours. So much for L33t...

Might want to study up on modern technology before giving a sermon. Read the headline news about the FBI helping China nab people for internet crimes. They have all the time in the world to catch you, whats the rush?

Here is a little info (since it doesn't work anymore)
The one and "ONLY" ever proven method of sending data across the internet without being traceable is what was once called a "Call back loop" done on a rotary dial up phone.

Even that would locate the actual substation the connection came from and put them within 1 mile of you in under "3" seconds. My father retired from AT&T so you can argue with him if you like or look it up in the "L33t Hackers (lamers) black book" you can find off the internet (hosted by the Government)

Hackers are still around because the Government doesn't care about small timers who pretend to be L33t on the weekends. Pure and simple...
If they want you though, your shits in the wind before you have time to wipe.

So perhaps you are the one who actually feels a little to trusting...

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:58 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

First of all, I don't understand that L33t stuff...so don't bother.

Secondly, being able to protect one freaking building isnt realy the internet, now is it ? What you say is like stating that all robbers will retire next week, since they can't get into the white house :/

Third, if there is no such thing as security, anywhere, what are 70% of all new government possitions with the FBI, CIA, NSA and Dept of Homeland Security and their 'smack down on the net' going to do ?

Fourth, send that email from an Internet cafe, with a newly created hotmail account and PLEASE tell me how I'm going to be traced ?

I have seen corporate firewalls, promoted as 'as secure as it gets' crumble due to config faults, because the admins werent up to date on their information when they configured it alongside service 'x'.
As long as the people installing and (not) patching servers don't get security minded, hackers can do as they please, without having to worry about being caught.

On the subject of reading up: Try 'The Art of Intrusion' by a certain Mitnick.

Greetz
Planet_Jeroen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:11 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

No data can ever be 100% secure, pure and simple. It mostly comes down to how much money and effort is being used to get at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:26 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

I'm going to lay the smack down on all of you if you don't get the fuck out of Xuri's thread! This is the news forum goddamnit!
Now shoo! Off to whatever with all of you! Don't make me have to lock this thread (because I forgot how to use my godly powers of moderation).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:26 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

I had a pet chicken once, his name was Petey!

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dev Viperrious wrote:
I had a pet chicken once, his name was Petey!

Dev

Did you chop off it's head and serve it for dinner?
-Ryandor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:02 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Petey fell in the well...so I threw Lassey in to get him out...then I realized I forgot to tie the rope... :oops:

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:06 am 
Master
Master

To come back to that Spam thing:
Did you know that according to a study almost every second Japanese uses to angrily reply Spam mails with insults complaining about the spammer sending him so many useless Mails. ok, the study is over a year old, but its kinda funny anyways to imagine someone sitting in front of his PC trying to answer the hundreds of Spam Mails you get these days ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:49 am 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Hey look who's still alive.