Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hey guys
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:30 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Yeah, I've resurfaced again :/

After a year at Lineage 2 and half a year at WoW then another half a year back at Lineage 2, and a couple days at Rising Force Online.. I've come to the conclusion that every MMORPG after UO absolutely sucks and lacks anything remotely resembling content. I could go on and on for hours about their faults, but I won't bore you with that :p

I dug out the old Tragena scripts and muls and reinstalled UO and *sigh* it's so nice being home lol. I managed to dig Dragonfire up in the search too, turns out he's been working off and on all this time on the map and statics (yay!)

Anyways, just wanted to say hi and see who's all still hard at work on their custom shards. Looks like Tragena might open some year afterall :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:21 am 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

I agree.

Richard Garriott's next game will be nothing like UO, but he wants to return to his interactive Ultima-style roots with the game after that.

So... until then, I do not foresee any good MMOs coming out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:23 am 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

wow, welcome home RoseThorn!

I guess we can forgive you for leaving us for another game... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Once you are a part of it, you can never leave!

Good to see you back!

-Ryandor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:25 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Welcome back, RoseThorn! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:35 pm 
Master
Master

I'm still a newbie (as far as posting goes), but I'd still like to say "welcome back". :)

-CMS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:17 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Welcome back Rosethorn! Even if your heart never left :wink:

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:47 pm 
Master
Master

Quite fun, there are still much real MMORPG likers, not only come-and-kill player, which are my default envivorment in Russia, where hard to find people not looking just for sweet elven girls :wink: .
Although i come far later your dissapearance, i could just say: Nice to see you again! :)

"Be calm and silent, as Darkness care not of passions and lies. Be patient and cold, as Darkness exists out of borders of time and emotions. Just be yourself, as You are in the Darkness and Darkness is inside of you."
-Dark Ones Doctrine, 2001y (c)-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:09 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Hey Rose!
Welcome back :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:19 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

(Puts on his best Al Pacino face)

Just when I think I'm OUT....they SUCK me back IN!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:29 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Welcome back RoseThorn, you won't recognize me, but I've been around in the EMU community for quite some time.

Haha, I can remember the days when I was helping Paige with his website. That was great!

Unfortunately, I've played many MMO's as well after UO. I've played EQ, beta tested AC, beta tested A Tale In The Desert, played AO, DAOC, EQ2, and of course during all this time I've been messing around with my server and my custom map (which is pretty much done).

The next MMORPG I wouldn't mind trying out would be Lord Of The Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar. Since I love LOTR, I guess it wouldn't be too bad to play an MMORPG on a part time basis. But then, that is the problem I see with a lot of these games. If you only have a little time to invest, then your character suffers vs. if you have no life and can play the game 10 hours a day. Hopefully they won't reward people for being online vs. people who play the game for fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:34 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

LOTR's rules them all...which is why I'm almost tempted not to play the online game...

If the online game turns out to be a lemon then my illusionary world of how perfect Middle Earth is will be shattered or at least scratched.

If the game turns out to be the greatest thing in the last ten years then I will be kicking myself for not joining sooner...I'M TORN!!!

After waiting through 4 years of broken promises for the online game though it had better kick some serious ass... :x

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:47 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Has anyone checked at Dungeons and Dragons Online yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:36 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Friend was in the beta. Loved it.
I'm still skeptical. Yeah, I was another geek sitting around a table with friends playing pnp dnd but I still say it makes a crappy computer game.
The simplicity is perfect for the real thing, where the storytelling is what makes or breaks it and you don't want to get bogged down in complicated rules and 100s of dice rolls. When you have a computer to do all the grunt work and can concentrate on the play I think there is much better.

Personally I am really enjoying Anarchy Online.
On the single person front, Oblivion was just released yesterday.
I'll probably wait til the first patch to buy it, besides my birthday is in 2 weeks and I won't have to fight the wife to spend 50 bucks on a game if it is my birthday present (word to the wise; don't marry a non-gamer) The graphics are certainly gorgeous. If it lives up to all it is supposed to be we'll see...Morrowind while superior to Daggerfall in many ways still didn't quite capture me the same way, maybe because of the new 3 patch rule that seems to be in the software industry; Daggerfall took quite a lot of patches to get the major bugs out, and then it was still buggy as hell. Maybe it's just because my expectations and tolerance of bugs has changed over they years. At any rate I'm sure it will still be a great game. Friend got it says the combat system rocks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:05 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

A friend of mine got the DVD version, and said he couldn't install it. Apparently the DVD was corrupt, so he has to return his copy to the game store. Of course they are sold out too. :P

I personally feel DDO was rushed. Of course I haven't tried it yet, but we will see.

As far as LOTRO, I'm hoping that game will live up to the expectations of the fans. Otherwise it will just be the same crap, just a different pile issue.

I don't know if any of you remember this, but a while back there was a game called Heroes Journey. It was basically supposed to be the UO killer. It had the same feel to it, but it had a 3d engine and was seamless as well. The game had a kick ass GUI which allowed you to cast spells, use items, etc. It probably would've been a very nice game to play, but of course it was shelved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:55 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

...Or was it? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:47 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Wow! That game has some nice graphics...hm...might have to try that one out.

Hey Syd! Did you notice their "hiring" programmers? :wink: If the game plays as nice as it looks it will rock for sure.

Of course we're not helping Rosethorn back into the UO community by tempting her with new games!

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:56 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Ohhh... do you see that? The HeroEngine? I wonder how much that would set back someone.

Now that is something worth looking at to maybe make my own MMO?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:15 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

AAAAARRRGGGHH stop giving me new and nifty links to click! Bad! Bad bad bad!

Hehe, we've got soooooo far on Tragena I just can't even look at another game without feeling guilty all over again. Dragonfire has the map and statics nearly 100% complete. Says he's just got one small town to decorate and a couple of the dungeons to spiffy up and it's finished. Guess I'm behind on the scripting now ;(

I think the problem with MMO's today (oh no, you did get me started) isn't so much the lack of stuff to do, it's the reasons for wanting to do them (or having to do them).

Take Lineage 2 for example, the crafting system in that game alone could keep someone busy for years. It's pretty full featured. Unfortunately, in order to craft increasingly better stuff, you have to kill mobs for a year on end to increase your level. You also have to ebay some starting capital or get lucky on 60% crafts in order to get the money to start your next crafting project. Most people in that game went the ebay route. You could also create a secondary harvesting type char to not only endlessly kill those same mobs for levels, but also for materials to craft with on your crafting character. By endlessly, I really really really mean endlessly.

That game is supposed to be all about the pvp, but in order to pvp you need levels. So you grind for a year to get a decent level, then find losing in pvp is DECREASING your xp and/or levels, since the majority of the pvp is won by whoever can amass the largest zerg.. you will lose eventually. So in order to continue to pvp, you have to continue to pve grind. I wouldn't mind the mob grind so much if it weren't required to play the purpose of the game (while not being the purpose itself).

I like challenging games, and L2 is definitely challenging. But somewhere along the line they lost the point of the challenge, and made the difficulty itself the point.. if that makes sense. It's hard for the sake of being hard. There's really no fun in it. I can't be proud to have gotten to level 74 when there's 90 people around me that did it by botting or ebaying themselves a high level acct. I can't be proud to have scraped, hunted, bartered, and fought my way to having finally crafted an A grade weapon, when everyone around me just ebayed the adena to buy theres off a farmer.

I think the game would have been more fun without the farmers and ebayers, but the game mechanics themselves full-out encourage ebaying and farmers. If you die to a mob, you could lose your equipped weapon. It's not like in UO where if you lose 100% of your gear on death you can just go buy it back or grab it from your bank box. In L2 if you lose your equipped weapon (or even armor for that matter) you can either reroll, borrow from a rich friend, ebay, or quit the game.

All the games out nowadays I've seen, especially all korean games, are all about the grind. They wanna keep you there for years trying to get the max level (which is increased every 6 months or so) or the max gear (also increased) so that you keep paying to play. They don't realize if they'd just make the game fun (WITHOUT being horrendously hard or painful or punishing to the player), ala UO, that people would stay even after they maxed it out.

/gets off soap box

ps - Thanks for the warm wb everyone :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:45 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Ha, that is funny.

After playing RF Online today, I've noticed that there is definately a grind. I of course could be wrong, so correct me if I am. But I think that as I get further, the game is going to feel the same as any other game out there. So that means just before the 30 days are up, I'm going to probably cancel my account.

Plus I got Oblivion yesterday, and OMG, that game is fun! I don't so much as grind my character, which you could, but you get to more or less experience the world. Now if only Oblivion would be multiplayer. Imagine a world like that where you can run around, bashing things, go to a forest and chop some trees, or even go to a mine and mine! Then go and craft some stuff. Then make the NPC's have some life, and add some flavour to the world. That way then it wouldn't matter if you were playing with a large player base or small. It would always seem that the world is doing something. Then, add in the possibility of allowing people to customize their world, from skills, to game mechanics and even to the world.

Now back to what RoseThorn was talking about. I can understand that for some reason companies are making games a grind to keep players playing and paying. It is very unfortunate that they are doing it this way.

I'm working with a concept on my server with the skills. What would happen if you hid the point values from people? Where as they work on their skills, they go up, etc. But you wouldn't have a numeric gauge. Instead your gauge is how well you hit in combat, or how easy it was to make that suit of platemail, etc. It is going to be interesting to see how people handle it. Especially those who like to grind. :P

Anyways, I guess what I was going to try to say, is that there needs to be a new game that has to come to the masses that will revolutionize the way we play and think about MMO's. There needs to be something new and fresh to where you are playing the game, and not really grinding your way. Sure, there should be some grind, but nothing extreme where that is what you are doing 90% of the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:01 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Most MMO's today are just level grinding and eye candy. They're all basically the same game with a different backstory and different graphics. I agree with Rosethorn, despite its dated game engine, nothing has come close to UO so far as gameplay goes. And even today UO has a lot of potential, one of the reasons I want to run a player run shard is to try to use the game engine to better meet its potential as a multi-player RPG. One advantage we have over OSI is that with our smaller player base we can do a lot of things quest-wise and player-wise that OSI can not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:10 am 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Sharlenwar wrote:
I'm working with a concept on my server with the skills. What would happen if you hid the point values from people? Where as they work on their skills, they go up, etc. But you wouldn't have a numeric gauge. Instead your gauge is how well you hit in combat, or how easy it was to make that suit of platemail, etc. It is going to be interesting to see how people handle it. Especially those who like to grind. :P

Seen it (various games). Hate it. While that is just me, I think most people don't like that either. When you can't see your skill value you really don't know if you are progressing or not. At a minimum I would suggest using the break point titles (apprentice, journeyman, master, etc) and making that value available to the players for each of their skills. That way they don't have the exact numeric value but they still have an idea of how good they are at something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:35 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Sharlenwar wrote:
Imagine a world like that where you can run around, bashing things, go to a forest and chop some trees, or even go to a mine and mine! Then go and craft some stuff. Then make the NPC's have some life, and add some flavour to the world. That way then it wouldn't matter if you were playing with a large player base or small. It would always seem that the world is doing something. Then, add in the possibility of allowing people to customize their world, from skills, to game mechanics and even to the world.

You just described UO :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:05 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

Stormcrow wrote:
On the single person front, Oblivion was just released yesterday.

I just got it. Love it. VERY pretty graphics. Extremely Ultima-like, IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:51 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Seconded, Syd.