Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:32 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

System: Archeology (new Skill to replace Camping)

I am finally able to start working on this system for our Ultima V shard project. This skill will allow players to locate areas where they can attempt to dig up relics, artifacts (not like osi's uber weps and armor kind, but tatered items), bones, and stuff.

My request is, for anyone that would like to help out, I am in need of custom items that would relate to this kind of thing. New bones(any and all types of monster/animal bones specificly.. orc, horse, whatever), tatered stuff like, swords, armors, clothing... you get the idea.

Or, anyone that knows of some sites that have related artwork free to download would be perfect too.

Compensation for work can be discussed (within reason) to anyone willing to create item artwork themselves.

This is a very important area for our shard project, since it ties into the history story lines. Ancient scrolls will be a rare find, that will hold *another piece of the worlds history/background and such stuff.

-Thanks!

** Edit **

Custom item artwork donated to this thread:

Xenoth's AncientFoundings package 1
Custom relic items by Xenoth, Thank you Xenoth :)

Last edited by Dian on Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:04 pm 
Master
Master

Give me an item name, discription of its visual things(more=better) and history/practical target(optional), and you will get what you want. Pricelessly.

"Be calm and silent, as Darkness care not of passions and lies. Be patient and cold, as Darkness exists out of borders of time and emotions. Just be yourself, as You are in the Darkness and Darkness is inside of you."
-Dark Ones Doctrine, 2001y (c)-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:19 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

well, right off I dont have super specific items thought up.

Bones:
Dragon bones,
Horse bones,
mongbat bones, even.. Skulls, ribs, etc.

Tatered scrolls, that might represent ancient scrolls that were lost (scrolls that would have held valuable information). The more variation, the better.

My imagination is limited atm, but anything that you would concider as an item an archaologist might dig up (also having to do with medieval erra items) is basicly what I want.

broken swords, Hand bones, smashed helmets, maybe helmets that have an axe burried in it... etc.

These als do not need to have that real item coloring, either. They are after all, dug up from the earth. So dull, discoloration is appropriate :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:57 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Ok so thats the first 10 minutes worth of work...then what?

Hehe I don't even have UO loaded on my new computer yet, I've been addicted to AO. But if I get time later this week I'll see if I can help out.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:39 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Would there be a use for these items Dian?

Because I could figure that smiths could take the tattered objects and reforge them into useable weapons and armour.

Maybe you could find blemished gems, which Jewelers could take, and turn them into some sort of jewelry.

The tattered scrolls could be used by mages to decipher, and then possibly turn it into a useable spell scroll.

Maybe even some special ancient items could be found for just selling for money.

Umm.... can't think of anything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:25 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

That's an interesting idea, Dian - been thinking about doing something similar myself for quite some time. Something which would also be interesting would be to have predefined "ruins" that can be dug up, and which after that will be a permanent feature of the shard - perhaps become a hotspot for finding future artifacts, some specific monster spawns, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:42 am 
Master
Master

http://maerun-world.pbnet.ru/AncientFoundings.rar
Here you go! A first little stack of items. Later i'll try to make bones. Not sure at that point, but i'll try my best.

"Be calm and silent, as Darkness care not of passions and lies. Be patient and cold, as Darkness exists out of borders of time and emotions. Just be yourself, as You are in the Darkness and Darkness is inside of you."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:57 am 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Xenoth, Ive downloaded that rar file a few times, and its corrupted somehow. :(

well, at this point, I have the skills.mul edited replacing Camping with Archaeology, it has a 'use' button as well. When you use the button, depending on your skill, you will get little hint like messages..
"You look around, but feel there would be no reason to dig here"..or
"You begin to feel this could be a good spot to dig around" etc.. Then you can dig with a shovel to start looking around, theres also a brush you can use (still developing a way to start the dig with shovel so far, then use the brush to to the tedious finish up work of the dig.
Quote:
Something which would also be interesting would be to have predefined "ruins" that can be dug up

The system is region based. Thats where the messages come into effect, when you use the skill button.. So I both have preDefined regions that are hardcoded to the shard, and also with use of an in game region creator, I can set up areas 'on the fly' or remove them, so I can change the areas off and on in game too.

I have not put much thought yet into use of most items. The ancient scrolls though, I think will be many variations to those.. and the rarest of them will reveal missing history of the shard. I think they would be taken to a scribe, or mage as Sharlenwar mentioned to be read properly.. also to receive some reward benefit for taking them.. in order to ensure a player does take them, and the information is in fact released.

Other things, as of the moment are just rare item ideas, uses are not yet thought of.. I like the idea of some of the more junk type, being able to smelt, or recycled back into resources.. yes. Gems, jewels, jewelry, maybe some have a rare chance of being some lost magical item from the past, that might need finding out of its properties.. the ideas are endless for this kind of system, really.. and I have really only just begun to code the system :)

Thanks everyone, I wasnt expecting to really get any response to the thread :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:41 pm 
Master
Master

Well, i just dont know any other way to give you my pis than dl it to my website, and it could to get corrupted in process. Can you give me your mail address and i try to take it via mail. Ok?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:58 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

I guess I didnt explain well enough.. the Download link is fine, I can download the rar file.. but the archive file itself is corrupt.

*Image removed*

Unless its just me.. maybe you could repack the images, and upload a new archive.. but you can e-mail them to aroura420@hotmail.com as well.

btw: Thanks for your efforts, too. I really appreciate it :)

Last edited by Dian on Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:14 pm 
Master
Master

I'll send it right a second after that message. I just notify that index file that i've send to my page is working perfectly huh... wait for it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:02 pm 
Master
Master

I suppose it must be alike you dig up an item and then with that or other skill you can to 'restore' it for use (armor, weapons, tools etc.). Other stuff may be placed just as decoration to special postaments (i'll draw it wuite soon, if you like). So you could to make a little museum of ancients heh? Currently it want to make:
-Ancient (rusty) Armors to be restored and used as equipment with spec abilities.
-Ancient (broken) Weapont to be restored and used as equipment with spec abilities.
-Ancient bones(dragon bone parts, demon bone parts, lesser monsters parts) as decoration.
-Some vases, plates, containers to be used as house deco.
-Sculptures, stattuetes, jewels (hmm.. with equal paperdoll image)...
-masks, taints, coins, some other misc stuff.
-gears, cannisters, pipes and some other tech-stuff belongs to some missed people.
Of course you can add anything more i should to make... fell free at that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:40 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Oh wow, Xenoth. Those are excelent :) I dont know what else to say, other than simply perfect to what I am after!

And yeah, the idea of restoring rusty armors, and stuff is very good. That might just get worked into the system, for certain. I was thinkng of the museum idea as well, rewards for different rarity of items, etc.

Items found also contain an age property too, that I am thinking, with the right skill a player could approximate the age of an item, or maybe even through a museum vendor?

Again, thank you Xenoth, wonderfull work !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:43 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

How about some screenshots? =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:27 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Doh ! I dont see why Xenoth would care to post the bmps.. ?

Image Ancient Cryss
Image Ancient Long Sword
Image Ancient Paper Scroll
Image Ancient Shield
Image Ancient Tomb
Image Broken Battle Axe
Image Broken Lance
Image Rusty Left Plate Arm
Image Rusty Left Plate Arm
Image Rusty Plate Arms
Image Rusty Helmet
Image Rusty Norse Helmet
Image Tatered Board

errrm.. I didnt resave these as *.jpg to keep anyone from taking them.. the [ img ] tabs would not show bmp images.. although, they are Xenoth's work, if he has no objections and someone else would like to use them also, I can send them to you too or post a dl. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:14 pm 
Master
Master

Well, if there was possibility to upload it to forum directly and set them there, i've done it instantly. But there not of that (at least i can't to do it). Anyone can take them and share them anywhere, just not forget to say a good word about the author, ok ;) ? Remember, i dont made that even for Orbsydia community, just here.
So it is. More are coming soon. Wait for my go ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:51 pm 
Master
Master

The new part of items has been sended to your mail, Dian. Check it out. Of course not much, but everything i've done today.
(failed) - means that made for unsuccessful skill tries, more will be done later. I'm probably cant to do bones - tried some times, but that definitely not my style :( so sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:43 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Thank you for your efforts, these will definetly work well for this skill.
Very nice, Xenoth :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dian, put it up on your site!
http://dian.ryandor.com

:P

-Ryandor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:32 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

maaaaan, your lucky theres an entire state between us... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:34 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

OoO...Dian had a hom..hoo..."Broke Back Mountain" thought! :P

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:39 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Hey Xenoth... could I beg you to email me those images too?

With your permission Dian, could I use this idea as well? It is a really cool idea.

Email: sharlenwar@demuria.com

I'd very much appreciate it, thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:51 am 
Master
Master

Well, then i'll wait for a permission from Dian and if it be agreed, i'll send it to you! Ancient weapons/armor pack coming soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:27 am 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

No need for my permissions! I think its great theres still a few people out there that come around, and help others out :) So send away!
They are definetly worth the thinking about adding, even if you dont have a specific use for them. The way I figure anymore, whats a few more MB's when I will be patching ~20+ already from 2 full custom Map0 maps..(dif0 and dif1 sets) and everything else.. why have so much patching, if you dont have some new items too?? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:17 am 
Master
Master

Pack have been sent to Sharlenwar. Next pack is coming that evening, 8 hours by GMT.

PS: Everything is going to new forum section,huh...