Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new to modding
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:12 am 
Hi all just like to say im glad to still see people out there still working on one of my old time favorite games.

Also I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions. I am brand kinda new to modding and scripting for Ultima Servers, but i have an idea i would like to work on and it would require a brand new map, different races ex... Elves, Dwarves, Trolls, Orcs, and some others, I would like to be able to create new sprites and be able to see them on the "paper doll" (including new sprites for weapons and armor/jewlery).

Basically what i am asking is. What kind of tools to do i need to perform these tasks, where could i get them, and are their any tutorials that come with them?

Not sure if i plan on taking on this task just yet, but i would really like some informations pertaining to the questions above, and maybe if i like the answers i will make my descion.

So please help me out and let me know what i need thank you all very very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:34 am 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

For map-making, you need a program to convert an image into a map, a program to tweak that map, and a program to freeze items from in game.

The most popular conversion program is Dragon, which you can find on this web site. You will also find some extensive tutorials on this site on how to use it, and most all questions relating to Dragon have already been asked and answered in the forums. Alternatives include punt's tool, and possibly UOL.

For tweaking the map, the most popular program is WorldForge. There are two versions, the classic version, and punt's new version by the same name. Either should work.

To freeze items, some emulators will do that for you, others have special tools, and WorldForge generally freezes items from the old version of UOX.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:43 pm 
Master
Master

Description for Dragon and UOL features (Punt map tool was not used by me, so i'm have nothing to judge obout it):
DRAGON

Advantages: Dragon is minimal option to make your map very quickly. Consisting only two programs, handful and easy-to-understand scripts, pack of issues for Photoshop to work with your map. Shortly, dragon is Very easy to be customized for your own needs.

Disadvantages: Dragon working only with indexed color bmp's which ones have only 256 color palette, so there may be 256 tile-altitude slots for one map. Sometimes it can make bugs, so there better to backup your map after each test rendering.
---
UOL ( UO Landscaper )
Advantages: UOL is working from two 16bit bmp's, one for altitude, one for landtiles. It making possible to make maps from huge amount of tile types, with huge difference of altitude, so the result is ideally made map.

Disadvantages: UOL is a complex of programs and it needs some time to understand clearly how it works and less handful. Scripts is barely untitled and there is no base to understand how they works. Unfriendly for custom graphics, cannot paint auto-statics (rocks, trees, other items that will be placed in equal land type) to custom hue.

To make new gumps for paperdoll, you first need to draw them, of course :) then you must get Mulpatcher tool which is very similar and can be finded in some places (try search). Some tutorials may be finded on runuo.com. I'm sorry that i havent them by myself, i'll thy to find them myself, but im not sure, so i recomendate you to look for it there yourself. Sorry if i was not useful enough for you.

"Be calm and silent, as Darkness care not of passions and lies. Be patient and cold, as Darkness exists out of borders of time and emotions. Just be yourself, as You are in the Darkness and Darkness is inside of you."
-Dark Ones Doctrine, 2001y (c)-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:30 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Use TDV MULPatcher for the non-map stuff.

http://varan.torderverlorenen.de/daten/