Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:30 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Mul2Bmp doesn't seem to handle the new Map0.mul size introduced with the Mondain's Legacy client.

Any chance of any update, or of releasing the source so we can update it as new maps are introduced?

Post subject: Nope
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:00 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

1. All the source from old projects are gone (Dell Harddrive failure ensured that). So no possibility of source from me.
2. It would be fairly easy to modify the Map Generator code to do the reverse (that source was floating around some web sites).

3. Apparently UOL 2 has this ability (so probably not needed anymore). I peronsally find this humerous, for I took a lot of grief from Irro (on the UOL team on how bad this tool was to have available) as well as Khyabel/Dknight saying how this was too powerful a tool for the user to have. Yet now, suddenly, it is a feature for UOL 2 (and none of he hassle I took).

Ok, the last was a whine *grin*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:16 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

And here I thought you were of the old "back up everything!"-school, punt :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:10 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

sure, for important stuff! This hobby isn't really that important!

Recall, the fun is in actually making the stuff. So if it is lost, just make it again (and get the fun again, as it will probably be different)!

If I start backing up, then it become work. If work, it had better meet some criteria of important, to warrant my time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:28 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

In my opinion, it becomes work when you have to write code to replace lost code. Sure, you may learn a new way of doing things, but I usually spend a lot of time researching, just to relearn the same way in the end. I still occasionally wish I had my source from years ago, just to see how I did something, rather than tracking down the information all over again -- that is not so fun. Sure, the code may be crap compared to what I know how to write now, but you never know when you might need to do some little thing you know you have done before, but do not remember how, and have a hell of a time figuring out again.

That said, all my code is in a single root folder, which I drag/drop onto my backup CD whenever I backup my other documents, which is about once a month. Any more often than that and it does become work.

Using a remote CVS (like those available on sourceforge) is one of the better approaches, I think, but I usually cannot be bothered (since I never work with others, anyway).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:17 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Well, I can easily see what some think to be work is fun for others.

To me, any of this type of code, isn't worth the effort for backup. Nothing really new, or exciting in it. So the time to redo it, just isn't a big deal for me. But again, that is me.

Now, "important code" for projects (none of which my UO stuff qualifies for me), sure, I have on CD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:34 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

Since all my projects are in the same root folder, it is much easier to back everything up at once than picking the more important stuff. It has never hurt, and it all sums up to a tiny fraction of the maximum that a CD can hold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:36 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

yes, I can clearly see how for you and your structure, it makes a lot of sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:46 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

punt1959 wrote:
Apparently UOL 2 has this ability

hmm... and UOL 2 will be avaliable.. when ?

they have been claiming its soon release for a loooooooooong time.. How many times I have read "We have some great new things coming down the pipe!" in the last 6 months or somthing.. probly much longer. I really hate when people do that. I mean, if you know its going to be quite awhile before you finish something to release it... for *&$% sake, just be honest about it. Quit stringing people along for months and months, making them believe its going to be ready any day now...

Hmmm.. seems theres someone else in the UO community that does that too.. *thinks..*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:36 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

They probably suffer from motivational issues like I, and most programmers in general, do. In many cases, programs like that really could be finished in a matter of days, and in the current state of pride and excitement, it is easy to brag about features and point out that they will be released soon. The only caveat is that they will only be released soon if the same level of excitement for the project remains throughout those few days, as is present during the posting of such news. The only time you can trust things like that is when the project is already very far along, and there is a dedicated team behind it (or at least a consistently present and working team). Just cheer them on and say good job, so that it is more likely that they will stay motivated for longer, and then forget all about it and go do something else. If they are arrogant to begin with, like me, do not feed their ego, though.

Post subject: Hype
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:47 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

yes, Orbsydia likes to hypes it tools, for no more then sake of hyping.

I have known specific instances where recent posts are made about some new features, that are no where near being implmented (having just talked to the developer and seeing the latest state of the code).

Why does one do this:
1.Unbridle enthusisam (that only goes so far).
2. Keeps users interested in their tool. Dimishes reason to look at other tools if features lacking are thought to be forthcoming.
3. Strokes ones ego.

I am not stating that in this specific instance it is hype, but in general, Orbsydia likes to hype. Nor am I commenting about the length of time it takes for release (the movitional issues). To purposely release information that one is well aware is well off in the future (in some cases not even being worked on) and talk as if in "next release" with clear indication the next release is sometime in the next few months, is downright misleading. It does a disservice to the user, and the developer.

My two cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:54 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

I did not know that was the case. I suppose I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, and assume they are being honest about the situation, or at least believe what they say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:37 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Well, I didn't mean to stir up trouble.. 8)

I only mentioned that because I had been really excited about the stuff UOL had been explained to be.. I tried the first one a bit, but I was not really into world building anyways, and it was limited to what it could do still.

They brag about releasing the new one with all these great improvements, and new features.. the ease of use, and no limitations (at least that's kind of the idea you get )

And now.. like a year later.. nothing still.
I check the site once a month I guess, just to see if its out yet.. Naa..

Anyone know what happened to that New World Forge that was on Orb? I thought that one had good potential to what it was already capable of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:57 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

If you are talking about the version punt wrote, he took it off that site because he does not agree with the ethics of the site (I believe).

UOL was a major de-motivating factor to me, when I was developing TSMC. It basically promises to do everything TSMC does, but with an easier-to-use interface and better support. Granted, I still see no reason not to use true-color images for the tiles, with such strong competition on the horizon, it was another big reason to give up and let the gap be filled by someone with more dedication.

Truthfully, though, I quit working on TSMC because it already did everything I wanted it to do, and the rest (GUI/fluff) was just going to be for other people, so that they would worship me for a while until the next great thing came out. I think I have matured beyond that point now, but still have no interest in developing software to solve a problem I do not face. I think those who face it should solve it; otherwise, you get less than optimal solutions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:50 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

The new worldforge was perhaps the WorldMaker suite?

It consisted of :

Structure/Multi Editor
Map Generator (from images)
MLT Placer (allows one to add structures they made in the editor to be incorperated into the map via the images)
Map Editor

I think Ryandor mirrored a copy of it somewhere. Yes, it was removed from Orbsydia. I bascially came to the conclusion we had some fundemental disconnects on providing assistance to users. It also seemed to be a source of continuing conflict.

I guess in this case, my age helps me. I don't find writting hobby code as a source of validation (Advantage of age, you strive less for "strangers" praise in your personal projects. No judgement, just stating for me, that wasn't the case. One can decide if that is a good or bad thing.). And it is truely a hobby for me, so the act of doing it is the reward (for me personally, even if never used). I guess one of the reasons I use less popular software, because it interests me or it is what I personally like (so wide spread use isn't my focus first order).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:45 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks anyway for checking and for the reply Punt. :) I find all of your work to be incredibly useful. This tool in particular is going to be great for helping me to convert my work from Dragon to UOL, and to recover the "source" bmp for some maps that I have the MULs to and not the graphic images.

I'm going to be giving your worldbuilder suite a spin too as well! :)