Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sphere still good?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:54 pm 
Master
Master

Sheesh....I'm on a roll today. Started THREE new topics and actually replied to a couple. *checks for fever*. ;)

Anyway, I've been away from mapbuilding for quite some time and, since the forums become so active lately, I've gotten back in the mood.

So, my question is this: Is Sphere still the best EMU out there? Or is there something better now and just as easy to use? I don't know C++ or any such coding, so I'm not sure any EMU's that require that would be easy for me.

Opinions?

-CMS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:44 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

Most people use RunUO nowadays, but I hate it, the people who run it, and the language it is written in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:57 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Sphere is the easiest, RunUO is the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:17 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

I don't see what's so bad about C# or the RUO team Syd, care to enlighten us?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:49 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Sphere hasnt been the best in about 3-4 years and is pretty much dead from what I've seen.

RUNUO "Does the job" but does have quite a few issues and is a pain in the ass for a nonprogrammer to script much of anything.

Most of the scripts provided by others are "Ubber" scripts that unbalance the game for the most part in my personal opinion. Some of the smaller scripts for simple items are nice though.

RUNUO is no wheres near complete and leaves a lot of holes to be filled but then again so does every other EMU out there anymore. No single one would allow a person to play UO an not be able to tell the difference between the real online version and the offline version, its night and day.

If RUNUO were as simple to script as the older (version 70 and before) UOX or CFUSE then it would be the greatest thing since (not sex but something pretty close)... well something pretty darn cool! But its not...

RUNUO is the most versital, stable and activly supported "EMU" that is not to say that it is the "best" EMU or ever was because even though I am not as biased as Syd :wink: I do agree that RUNUO leaves a lot to be desired.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:36 am 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

Stormcrow wrote:
I don't see what's so bad about C# or the RUO team Syd, care to enlighten us?

Do a Google of C# criticism, and that will fill you in on how I feel.

I am against many aspects of the language, and I have some personal issues with the management of the RunUO project, which I do not feel like getting into right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:10 am 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Mmmhmmm? *writes this all down, pretending to be a psychiatrist*

Do you think you might have some deep personal issues built up from seeing your computers naked hard drive?
?

*Suddenly stabs you in the eye with a chop stick for no apparent reason* 0wnZ j00!!!

Post subject: My 2 cents
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:39 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Not that anyone asked, but my issue with Runuo development (and I don't single out Runuo on this aspect), is the lack of maturity, and lack of maturity it fosters in its forum.

It is like a group of 5 years, that have such an importance to be "the best", and have everyone worship them. To me it is a clear illustration of absolute power corrupts absolute. What is even more interesting, is some of the people complained about how UOX was suffering from the same thing (pre Runuo), and then go and act the same given the first chance.

The complete arragonce, and the arragonce shown on the forums by the community (and tolerated), is a turn off. Saying things like "without us the others wouldn't exist" is such a type statement. Although on the surface it may be true, it is ALWAYS true (Such as without Bell Labs, many electronics wouldn't exist, but that doesn't mean others can not make a good product, and perhaps even a superior one), etc.

Anyway, I personally believe runuo has developed a very nice product (and rightfully should be proud of it), but the community they fostered and encouraged (intolerace to others, etc), is not one of the finer moments.

Post subject: Re: My 2 cents
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:31 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

punt1959 wrote:
To me it is a clear illustration of absolute power corrupts absolute.

Power doesn't corrupt, it just amplifies the flaws in all of us.

punt1959 wrote:
Anyway, I personally believe runuo has developed a very nice product (and rightfully should be proud of it), but the community they fostered and encouraged (intolerace to others, etc), is not one of the finer moments.

Yeah, unfortunately there is that, but it is everywhere to one degree or another. Like you said, there are a lot of immature jerks around.