Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:08 pm 
Master
Master

I've recently been "testing" a certain game we all know and some love and I have a rant, of sorts, to post that I'd like opinions on.

In this game, all "enchanted" items require "instructions" to be learned and special resources to make them. Nothing major in that, I grant.

However, the resources for the higher end items are extremely difficult for crafters to obtain as they only appear on high-end monsters that the crafter can't hope to kill. Also, the high end "instructions" for those better items are also only obtained through killing high-end monsters. Finally, in order to get a *chance* at getting a decent item through crafting, once you have the "instructions" and resources, you have to use a high-end "special" crafting kit that can only be obtained through an extremely long and tedious method and the failure rate is extremely high.

When I mentioned this to someone else, I was told this method would force players to interact and for the crafters to rely on the warriors in order to obtain all the necessary stuff to ply their trade. So, the crafter can now just sit back and wait for the warriors/mages/etc. to show up and charge whatever they please for items the crafter may or may not be successful in crafting.

Now, I'm all for player interaction, if that's the players' choice. But I don't think one class (I know, Dev & Syd, you hate that title *smile*) should be forced to either change their playstyle or whatever. I enjoy collecting resources and crafting items then selling those items to other players in need. But, I don't want to have to put my crafting on hold until I happen to find the warrior/mage/whatever who just happens to have the resources or "instructions" that I need and aren't going to charge me an arm and a leg for it.

To me, this is just ridiculous. I, personally, think the higher-end resources should be only moderately difficult to obtain and decent items shouldn't rely on having only high-end kits to make them. Perhaps the failure rate could be raised, or something similar, to compensate. ::shrug::

What do you guys think?

-CMS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:11 pm 
Something Offensive
Something Offensive

Quote:
What do you guys think?

I think I like cheese.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:39 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Well to start EQ blows ass! :P

This is exactly why I left EQ, there is nothing a single person can do in the game as a crafter.

When I log into the game and only have an hour or two to play, do you really think I want to spend it sitting around and hawking my skills or wares? Umm NO! I want to play the damn game, gain skill and butcher every city guard in a human city with my ogre warrior or kill all the ogres with my half elf druid....

Classes and stupidity like EQ causes are what cause people to "move on" to a new game just like I did.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:13 pm 
Master
Master

Agreed. That's kinda my point, too. I like to craft stuff. I don't have hours upon hours to spend either trying to collect the moderately hard resources or waiting for someone to show up with something I need at a decent price. :/

Plus, since the "fairly easy" resources I *can* harvest spawn so randomly, I'd end up spending all my time gathering a few only to have to start my search all over again the next day....and the next....etc.. ad infinitum.

I really wanted this update to be "something special for crafters" as it's being proported to be. But, I've found out, through playing it, that's it anything but that. *sigh*

-CMS