Forums
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FF1 map on site
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:32 pm 
Young
Young

Hello.

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a map similar to the one on the main page?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:25 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Which map?

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:10 am 
Young
Young

There's a Final Fantasy 1 map on the site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:40 am 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Here are a few maps that you can "buy"

http://members.cox.net/darkshard/maps.html

No those don't belong to me so don't ask for a discount because I can't cut you one.

Don't think he has the one your looking for though so you might be out of luck. Guess you'll need to figure all this map making stuff out real fast so you can make a map like it and share with all of us. :P

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:35 pm 
Young
Young

Blah.. that sucks.. oh well...

Do you know of any sites with pre-made maps.. preferrably not ones that I have to pay for? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:44 am 
Master
Master

Personally, I haven't seen any free downloads. Although, when I finish mine, I'll probably release it here. It's not difficult to make a custom map, you just have to get used to many programs and be willing to dedicate a lot of time. Try it, it's worth the effort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:21 pm 
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

well darkshards contact him and ask him to make you a certain one for a price im sure he would do it

most people dont give away their maps because there is alot of work needed to make one and most people who download them will not give propper credit and theres a whole shitfest that goes along with that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 5:07 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

He's selling them for 11 bucks.
It isn't going to break you.
While they still need work (like towns and dungeons) for the time they'll save someone who really doesn't want to learn the ins and outs of mapmaking I guess it isn't a bad deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:15 pm 
Young
Young

Stormcrow wrote:
He's selling them for 11 bucks.
It isn't going to break you.
While they still need work (like towns and dungeons) for the time they'll save someone who really doesn't want to learn the ins and outs of mapmaking I guess it isn't a bad deal.

Actually, it will break me :P I'm only holding a shard for me and a few friends, and I don't exactly want to spend money on something that'll fall through in a week or so :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:00 pm 
Master
Master

Aidsteen wrote:
Actually, it will break me :P I'm only holding a shard for me and a few friends, and I don't exactly want to spend money on something that'll fall through in a week or so :P

Then why do you need a custom map? Play with the standard maps, and if it lasts longer than a week or two, it might be worth looking into buying/making a custom map...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:30 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

It would be cheaper to clean your neighbors gutters for $30 bucks and an hour of your time than waste 400 hours of your time creating a map that someone will most likely steal after you get close to finishing and claim it as their own or that you will most likely give up on after 100 hours of fumbling around on it and never finish at all.

Your friends will "NOT" wait around for a year for you to create a functional map let alone the 3-4 it takes most with a whole team of people.

Blow the $11 bucks or if you seriously think it will fold in two weeks just deal with the normal UO map since it would be a waste of time anyway.

99% of the people who actually work on custom maps do it for their own enjoyment, not the enjoyment of their friends who will flake on you for the B.B.S. (Bigger, Better Shard) inside 6 months.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:04 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Yeah, like Dev said, most people who make maps do it as a hobby. It doesn't matter if our maps ever get finished or not, it's just something to pass the time. If you just want to get out there and play stick with the UO map. There is a lot more to do with making a custom map useable than just making the map. Even with a large team of builders and scripters it is a huge project.