RunUO 71%  71%  [ 15 ]
UOX3 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Sphere? 19%  19%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 21
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:54 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

It'll be released soon, just hang on for a little bit more :) I can post the revisions if your interested though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:32 am 
Young
Young

Wow, this discussion went so much nicer than the one at RunUO's site recently. Talk about childish and bigoted responses.

Me personally, overall I think RunUO is a better, more versatile emulator. But you absolutely must have extensive computer programming experience to even consider doing anything but running it out of the box. That is it's biggest drawback. Support at the RunUO site is very good, but again you must be a programmer or they will be rude, insensitive and prickish.

If you are not a coder by profession, then stick with Sphere. If nothing else it's the absolute best emulator to start with. It's easily customizable by non tech types. Sphere is a more mature product with tons of documentation available from many sources, but current support from Sphere's site is a little on the lacking side.

Both sites are filled with self righteous "insiders", which you have to wade through and ignore to get any real help. But that's true of pretty much anything on the Internet. More than anything in the history of humans, the Internet has done more to destroy common courtesy than any other event in history.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:50 am 
Something Offensive
Something Offensive

Quote:
50) Sphere's targeting system only works through items and you cannot target the ground or a static item and retrieve
mul data about it. Also it does not support arguement passing. RunUO can do all of that and more.

This statement is half BS, and will be completely BS when I figure out how to retrieve MUL data. Retrieving MUL data has to be possible because there are at least 4 item types that can do this (fishing poles, shovels/pickaxes, fencing weapons, and sword weapons). It's probably stashed away in some variable that Damien isn't planning to tell us about and it'll take some *cough* skilled individuals to find it.

Other than this, I pretty much agree with Rose, just in not so many words. And yes, I will still bash sphere at my leisure.

--Xelah

(PS I have a script that can target any spot on the ground, static item or no)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:25 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thats no longer a secret, it's in the revisions file too :P P. keys..
(If your using 1.0 then you won't have this, this is 55R3)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:08 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

sonic wrote:
More than anything in the history of humans, the Internet has done more to destroy common courtesy than any other event in history.

Amen.

Post subject: nah
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:49 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

The internet didnt do it for me. I was fine till that space ship came down and they invited me inside for a ride. Everyone there was so nice, we sat down to have dinner on the way back from Mars and I stood up to reach over the table for the mashtaders and the bastards jumped me! ITS ON NOW BABY!
Since then I've been sort of skiddish of mashedtaders...their evil... I refused to be taken advantage of...unless theres lots of beer or money involved :wink:

Signed,
That guy with mashedtaders hanging out his pants...
Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:16 pm 
Something Offensive
Something Offensive

Quote:
This statement is half BS, and will be completely BS when I figure out how to retrieve MUL data.

Ok, it is now 3/4 BS. The variable for the statics.mul files was right nder my nose, I just didn't realize what it was. Statics information is returned in the ARGN1 code. My problem was that I thought this string held the type data. This string is infact the ref number to the item that was targeted in decimal format (which was why I didn't recognize it).

Try this (I'm at work right now, so the code might be a little off, but I'm pretty sure it's accurate)

Code:
[DEFNAME I_MUL_EXTRACTOR]
NAME=Ground Info Thingy
ID=I_RUNE_HARM
TYPE=T_SCRIPT

ON=@DCLICK
TARGETG
RETURN1

ON=@TARGON_GROUND
SRC.NEWITEM <ARGN1> //Creates a new item to pull data from
IF <SRC.ACT.TYPE>=T_TREE //checks the new item's type
SRC.SYSMESSAGE This is a tree, it makes wood and stuff.
ENDIF
IF <SRC.ACT.TYPE>=T_WATER
SRC.SYSMESSAGE This is water, it makes fish and stuff.
ENDIF
SRC.ACT.REMOVE // takes the reference item back out
RETURN 1

Map0.mul extraction is in the works, but I still haven't found what variable it spits out a value on.[/code]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:21 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I vote POL currently im using 95 but my staff is pushing me to use 96 which i might do down the road. Its versitility with the things i want to do far surpass the plusses of the other types imho. I guess It fits what i want to do, and I, not being a computer guy by any means can go in and actually find errors or edit things as i wish for them to be as we go. We currently are rewriting mining, fishing, adding new craftables, new charactor use items and magics. Just easy as pie in most cases.

Just one guys opinion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:26 am 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

I haven?t tried RunUO, and will never try it. It?s against my principles to use any program that takes itself that seriously and yet is written in a language like C#. Repeat every M$ pro-C# rhetoric you?ve ever heard to me, and I?ll point out that even they admit it?s not meant for full-scale ?serious? applications such as a CPU-intensive server. True, any player-made emulator is not expected to be commercial-quality, but at the same time, its creators give me the impression that they think they have unleashed the greatest thing since mashedtaders.

As for Sphere, I liked it ages ago when I first came on the scene (before it was called that). I quickly switched to POL when I found out about it, and then quickly gave up on it too. POL is, in my opinion, still the best ?non-programmer? emulator out there if you are seeking customization.

I won?t go back to Sphere because of its staff and its in-ability to do everything I want. I won?t go back to POL because I don?t know who the staff is practically and it still doesn?t do everything I want.

For anyone who is worth their salt as a newbie coder, I would highly recommend UOX (the pre-scripted version that UOXC was based on) simply because it?s very easy to get into the guts of. True, it?s messier than my grandmother?s house after new years, but at the same time, it was written by very (in my opinion) novice programmers so, as a result, it?s easy for any novice programmer to work with. As for all the bugs and crashes, it doesn?t take long to track them down and fix them. I fixed approximately 90% of the bugs I could find in it within a combined time of approximately 10 to 12 hours (source will be available on my site if anyone is interested). Not much harder than C#, but a lot more potential since you can literally rewrite the whole thing.

Now for those amongst you who are true caffeine-blooded programmers, I think the only solution is to write your own. I?ve seen some very good ones written by programmers in their free time from scratch. The problem is that anyone who is a good enough of a programmer to write a good enough server usually gets a good job and a life in the real world before they can finish it.

I have seen a few, but not many, which support what I would consider ?critical? core features such as file-mapping and multi-threading. Those two things alone would make a server out-perform anything available now by 10 fold. Assembly-level compression routines and VFS would give all that extra memory and CPU to something beneficial such as advanced AIs (can anybody say ?neural networks? and ?genetic algorithms??).

I know how to do everything said above, but I don?t know how to organize such a project and even if I did, I have a full time job as a chemist that leaches enough of my brain power as it is. What little time I have left over is spent almost entirely with my girlfriend. In the end, I may know everything I need to in order to write the code for such a project, but I?m still just a hobby programmer who doesn?t know the fundamental design strategies of a major project. That is, after all, where every server I have seen gets hung up ? they start coding on a poorly-thought-out design and organization.

Which reminds me, I should be working. :-) Byebye.

You?ve now heard form the peanut gallery. *expects many harsh replies disputing everything I said, which I might add, really did come out of my ass*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:49 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Oh wow another fudgepacker...I mean hacker...(lamer, gimp, pantywaste...what ever you get the point).

You would think that with all the things to do in the world, people would actually find something better to do that exploit a 5 year old forum PHP glitch...proves how lame some people are I guess.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:37 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Why's the poll closed? Bah. *was going to vote for UOX3*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:06 am 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

It's an old poll Xuri, and you already voted for UOX3 twice(cause I can't imagine who else would vote for it). Some asstard hacker came in and posted, then Dev replied. I deleted asstards post but not Dev's post (Dev may be an asstard too, but he's OUR asstard dagnabit!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:42 am 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

YEP! *Licks his finger* It is a bit tart...oh wait...DOH! :shock:

Dev