What is the best server?
RunUO 71%  71%  [ 15 ]
UOX3 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Sphere? 19%  19%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 21
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:25 am 
Master
Master

What in everyones opinion is the best UO server? I hear a lot of good about RunUO, i hear nothing about Sphere, i hear crashes about UOX3. hmmmm ill try runUO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:36 am 
The Defenestrator
The Defenestrator

That's hard to say really, depending on what exactly you want. I still go for sphere revisions, but everyone has his/her own opinions on that. You will only find out if you try them all out yourself ;). Though, if you try out sphere, do the revisions. 1.0 sucks, and the best stable sphere version is 55i, where revision is an expansion from. Revisions is just better :>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:40 am 
Master
Master

i just downloaded runUO and i already like 1000 times better than UOX3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:40 pm 
Master
Master

runuo just needs to much resources and its scripting language is hard. i would suggest Wolfpack or NoxWizard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:55 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Matonor wrote:
runuo just needs to much resources and its scripting language is hard. i would suggest Wolfpack or NoxWizard.

Where did you get that from? RunUO uses very little cpu, and C# is hardly a tough language to get to know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:11 pm 
Master
Master

here in germany (do we have a different version?!) runuo hostst are more expensive and you're told that you should have at least 256 or even 512 mb ram to be happy with runuo. i haven't tried myself.

and regarding c#:
ok you should know it if you want to be a programmer or something like that. but i do think that small (a c clone (nox wizard)) and python (wolfpack) are a lot easyier to learn. c# sharp is a professional programming language. but thats just my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:19 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

if u dont have more than 512 mb ram u shouldnt even think about running any kind of server, that is if u want to run it seriously. not saying that you c ant run one for your home and friends only ,but under 512 i dont weven have that on my gaming computer.

My server has 1024mb ram and dual 2400+ mp amd cpus, it runs nicely with multiple servers on it

runuo that is

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:08 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

POL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:08 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

and i quote from the sphere site
Quote:
For a medium sized shard, with around 40-50 max users on prime times you will have to use a pII/pIII with 350 MHz and more, and at least 128 megs of RAM, 256 megs are advisable.

sphere is less intensive, much less. it also does alot less. go figuer.

runuo is awsome, downside is you gotta get a c# book and teach yourself c#

plus side is you'll be able to do anything... anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:21 pm 
The Defenestrator
The Defenestrator

rage88 wrote:
and i quote from the sphere site
sphere is less intensive, much less. it also does alot less. go figure.

Wrong. Next to sphere being easier and less intensive then RunUO, you are actually capable of doing ALOT. I'm not sure what's all possible in RunUO, but after seeing the possibilities in sphere (Im talking revisions here) I don't even want to try RunUO anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:48 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Go for sphere 55R3, dont go near 1.0.. Its fast, feature rich, stable and easy to use.
If you want RunUO you have to learn C# first, and get a decent amount of processing power because it sucks a ton of resources.
POL is old.. Very old and not evolving.. New features right now are things like Pathfinding.. I mean come on..

Plus, 55R3 might go open-source

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:44 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

don't get me wrong, i know sphere is quite capable. however, its still very limited in comparison with runuo. the thing with runuo is almost everything about it is outside the engine, all the game mechanics are c# scripts.... runuo just compiles them. now given that c# is a full out programming language, you literally could do anything. you could contort things to the point where its not even UO anymore. think of the craziest most inane idea you can think of and it can be done with runuo.

as far as requirements, sphere has lower minimum requirements. when it comes to handling huge shards though this is where runuo starts becomming more efficient. but unless you plan on having 250+ people logged on at once, don't sweat it.

i ran a sphere for a long time and it wasn't bad, but there always had to be work arounds. Its been years now and even still, there are no solid releases. some of them are damn close, but still, no cigar.

either way you go though, the devs are assholes. the sphere devs are slow to fix things and don't even get me started about ryan and phantom and all them.

and when i say the sphere devs are slow, i mean slow. the release date they gave for sphere 1.0, which was to be a rock solid release, was OVER 5 YEARS AGO. and now they have this mmorpg they're working on. so i give up, i waited for sphere too long.

run uo, i hateto say it but run uo is the one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:31 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

I dont know why people keep saying RunUO is a resourcee hog. It absolutly is not. The only reason RunUO would use up computer resource is if you had a completly over spawned world, and you had the NPC's Player Range Sensativity set false (meaning every NPS is allowed to be active at all times)
When thats set false, and I have a completly spawned world, RunUO uses for example, on a 1.6 MHz 512 Ram system, roughly 5 - 10% CPU with roughly 50 people online. How is that a resource hog?
This NPC activity issue is claimed to also been addressed and worked out for the next RunUO release as well.. what they did and how it works remains to be seen, but I garuntee you that is why people are saying that stuff here, they just didnt take any time to look into the source.
Anyone saying RunUO is crap, or there is better out there is just saying that as a preference, plain and simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:55 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Well, this entire thread is about preference really. I prefer sphere, the revisions, not the originals or 1.0.

There's absolutely nothing I could not do with sphere 55r3, and I don't need to learn c# to do it :0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:19 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

That was about my whole point. I dont knock shpere, I prefer RunUO. In my opinion, it has much more capability.. but then, I have not given much chance to Shpere, UOX, or others. I used POL for a good while, and know what its capible of *cough*
It all boils down to what the preference is, and what the user is capible of doing with it :)
I just dont think its right for anyone to say one has poor preformance, when they are not clear as to what the problem is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:21 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Ad sysload. I have 10-14%of cpu usage with 140 people online on my POL shard (almost everything we have custom, for eg combat system etc). But you need good scripter, original POL distro is very messy and slow, you have to rewrite it if you wish better performace.
Sphere is shit, uox mess. Only two usable emulators are runuo and pol. Pol is older, so it is more proofed then run uo, which is still very young and buggy.
I can say everything that is posible on run uo is possible on pol (if you have good scripter), so you are not limited as sphere and similiar junk emulator shards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:04 pm 
Something Offensive
Something Offensive

Any emu is crap if you don't know how to use it properly. For example, a RunUO shard I helped out with was grossly unstable, everyone on it client crashed every 5-10 minutes, it was very annoying. Why? The shard admins didn't know what they were doing. I've seen equally poorly done shards done by most emu's. If I had to judge just by those, yeah, I'd say all EMU's are crap. But I've seen some well done shards done with the same EMU's that didn't have stability issues or other player turnoffs.

Any opinion you get on the matter is going to be biased.

Me? I use sphere. Do I bash sphere a lot? Yeah. Why? Because I use it. Would I bash any other EMU just because I use it? Yeah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:54 am 
Quote:
1) Sphere uses a text based saved world which is both slow to process and save, as well as large.
Runuo uses a binary based world, which is approximately 6x smaller, and about 12x faster to load.

2) Sphere uses a propietary scripting language, which is interlocked into its hardcore which is
C++, causing problems. RunUO is coded in C#, both core and source scripts.

3) Sphere must convert its scripts into usable code in memory, causing excessive CPU cyles.
RunUO compiles it's source scripts into a DLL, which is then loaded to become part of the emulator.
There is no conversion, nor a real-time script updater to cause extra CPU cycles.

4) Sphere allows for dynamic script updates using Resyncs. RunUO must be restarted, which is the same
as freezing the world, except the client is disconnected and must reconnect. Support for dynamic updates
could be coded, although is not neccessary.

5) Sphere scripting is limited to what is coded to be accepted by the core. RunUO is limited to the
power of the language of C# (which is very little).

6) Sphere is approximately 85-90% hardcoded in C++. RunUO is approximately 12% C# core, with 5%
of the core being overridable or modifiable.

7) Sphere has approximately 15-35 second world saves with high amounts of players and items.
Runuo barely hits 8 seconds. While system dependant, they are still significantly higher

8 )* Sphere is approximately 23% completed with AOS. RunUO is 99% completed. (preference)

9) Sphere requires approximately 4x more memory than RunUO for 1/2 the amount of items, decorations, players
and NPCs.

10) Sphere has hardcore bugs which are not fixable. RunUO may have one, although it is unlikely.

11) Sphere's IP firewall is bugged. RunUO's works perfectly.

12) Sphere requires heavy remodeling of a system when changed from hardcode to script. RunUO
does not. Since the languages are the same, they can just exclude the file and put it into the
Scripts directory.

13) Sphere has tags for all items mobiles and players, as well as accounts. RunUO can be coded to
have these if the shard administrator wants them.

14) Sphere barely has item detection support (to find an item within x tiles). RunUO has full support
for this.

15) Sphere has no scope for variables. RunUO uses C++ Style OOP scopes for its variables.

16) Fixed

17) RunUO can be coded to interact with AIM, IRC, ICQ, or any other communication software. Sphere cannot.

18 ) RunUO has a built in search engine for items in-game. Sphere does not.

19) RunUO has full batch command support. Sphere only has the nuke command, which does not work as well as
it should.

20) Sphere uses Types, where it is impossible to combine types, or modify a hardcoded type. RunUO has
no such problem. An item can be comprised of many interfaces or parent items, and is not hardcoded.

21) Sphere's magery system is hardcoded, and cryptic when it comes to customization. RunUO's is 0% hardcoded
and fully customizable. This includes necromancy, and chivalry (if you want to use those)

22) Sphere has no goal when it comes to a default type of gamestyle. RunUO has chosen an OSI clone although
reserves the power to the admin of the shard to change anything they want virtually.

23) Sphere's gumps run at appromixately 1.75x slower than RunUO, and does not contain the same power
and dynamic functionality.

24) Sphere's syntax is bugged, preventing the ability to test many features. RunUO has no syntax bugs
considering it uses an actual coding language. Sphere's syntax and features being interlocked will
always cause problems because new features are always added to progress.

25) RunUO supports hashs as part of C#, Sphere does not have any such system.

26) RunUO can be programmmed to automatically restart when a script is updated on a schedule. Sphere
cannot be programmed to do such a thing.

27) RunUO has full binary, xml, and text (with unicode) file read/write support. Sphere has no support.

28 ) RunUO has full support of the house customization system. Sphere has no support, nor will it ever.

29) RunUO has full support of custom maps. Sphere has trouble with certain map dimensions.

30) RunUO supports up to theoretically, thousands of facets. Sphere has trouble with just trammel.

31) Sphere has a spawning system with no interface. RunUO has a spawning system where you could make
a dynamic quest in-game. Or you can use a system with just a regular spawner that supports up to 10
objects.

32) Sphere uses cryptic TDATA and MORE attributes which you have to memorize for every item type. RunUO
uses descriptive variable properties which can be referred to easily since they are created and used in
script (not hardcode).

33) RunUO supports arrays of any datatype. Or an arraylist of multiple datatypes. Sphere has no support
for any type of array or structured datatype.

34) There is no stable version of sphere meant to be used on a live shard. Almost all versions of RunUO
up to the newest, are meant to be used on a live shard and have only extremly rarly crashed using a fresh install during the first 10 beta's at most.

35) RunUO has packet throttle regulation for movement of players (and/or staff). Sphere claims to have this
although tests show that gear still works.

36) RunUO can be coded to have support for custom clients, or other protocols connecting to it. Sphere
will never have this support. It is said to have some iris specials, although they are hardcoded and
consequently not modifyable.

37) Sphere is submissive to certain requests by the client (fixed in general), causing exploits like injection
and its variants to seep through. RunUO has no such problem.

38 ) RunUO can be coded to have a full web server integrated into it with ASP.NET and ADO.NET support. Also with
a feature similar to MyUO. Sphere will never have this support.

39) Sphere has ODBC or some type of database support, although it is said to not be working. RunUO works
with databases via its MyUO clone called MyRunUO. And can be coded to use databases in any way needed.

40) Sphere changes its syntax to support more complex or "stable/effecient" coding. RunUO's language (C#)
will never change. In the event that it does, it will ALWAYS be backwards compatible. And the language
changing is up to microsoft.

41) Sphere has linux support which is fairly buggy, and quite possibly discontinued. RunUO will have support
for other operating systems as clones for the .net framework are released.

42) Fixed -

43) Sphere only supports timers with items that have them. Timers do not work in backpacks or bank boxes (on purpose?)
and do not pass arguements, making them very limited. RunUO has full timer support which can be linked to type actions
and arguement passing, allowing a coder to do anything.

44) Sphere loop and recurse support is not completed, nor does it work for the current support. RunUO has various
loop and recurse support including while, for, foreach, etc.

45) Sphere has limited trigger support using the @Trigger system. Theoretically you can make new triggers although
it gives console warnings because its not built in. RunUO uses methods for triggering, and has full support due
to using a real language, for more triggers, and methods.

46) Sphere has limited support for new skills becuase they are mostly hardcoded. While RunUO has full support for
new skills. And with edited skill mul files, will be fully displayable by the client.

47) Sphere uses encryption, which is a standard, and can be decrypted easily. RunUO doesn't use encryption, lowering
the bandwith usage dramatically. Sphere also supports different encryption, which would require client modification
and therefore be easy to figure out and decrypt if needed. The added "security" is useless.

48 ) Sphere has very little region support other than what is hardcoded (attributes) and tags. RunUO has support for
custom regions, custom region triggers, and tags (if you wanted them).

49) RunUO can be used to code fully automated tournament system (as an example of its power). Such a system is very
difficult, if not impossible to make in Sphere.

50) Sphere's targeting system only works through items and you cannot target the ground or a static item and retrieve
mul data about it. Also it does not support arguement passing. RunUO can do all of that and more.

51) RunUO has path generation for NPCs so that they do not get stuck. Sphere's NPCs get stuck quite often through
easy player tricks in certain area.

52) Sphere AI is almost completely hardcoded. None of RunUO's AI code is in the core, allowing you to control how
your NPCs act down to the movement.

53) Since sphere supports encryption, and their encryption support is hardcoded (as far as I know). When a new
version of the client becomes available, they may not support it. Therefore saying that it supports the "latest" client
is deceiving.

54) Sphere core is the only supported RC portion of the release. The scripts are not priority. This concludes that since
the core requires scripts to run, the core is not RC but in fact at the same state as the scripts. Had the script support
been discontinued, then the release would be considered RC. RunUO core and scripts are always supported and the versioning
reflects both portions of the release. Also, the release is never split in order to decieve users into what to download
and how to get the emulator to work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:05 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

NOTE: I refer to 55r* versions of sphere unless stated otherwise, those are the "revisions".

1) Sphere uses a text based saved world which is both slow to process and save, as well as large.
Runuo uses a binary based world, which is approximately 6x smaller, and about 12x faster to load.

Sphere's worldfile is easily understandable, readable, and editable as well. The average worldfile for the average shard probably takes a whopping 5 seconds to save. You can have it save in the background where it's completely unnoticable by the players.

2) Sphere uses a propietary scripting language, which is interlocked into its hardcore which is
C++, causing problems. RunUO is coded in C#, both core and source scripts.

Spherescript is quick and easy to learn and use, even for non-programmers. What problems does it cause? Poor scriptors cause problems, I suspect poor programmers would in C# as well. Surely you don't think the server itself being coded in C++ is a problem?

3) Sphere must convert its scripts into usable code in memory, causing excessive CPU cyles.
RunUO compiles it's source scripts into a DLL, which is then loaded to become part of the emulator.
There is no conversion, nor a real-time script updater to cause extra CPU cycles.

This also allows Sphere to edit and resync scripts on the fly, no compiling needed. I don't have to kick my players off so I can restart the shard in order to add or change scripts. I can test something i'm making while logged on, instantly. I know it uses more cpu to read them that way, but sphere is by no means unreasonable on resources.

4) Sphere allows for dynamic script updates using Resyncs. RunUO must be restarted, which is the same
as freezing the world, except the client is disconnected and must reconnect. Support for dynamic updates
could be coded, although is not neccessary.

Read above ^^

5) Sphere scripting is limited to what is coded to be accepted by the core. RunUO is limited to the
power of the language of C# (which is very little).

There's nothing I could think of impossible with it, honestly.

6) Sphere is approximately 85-90% hardcoded in C++. RunUO is approximately 12% C# core, with 5%
of the core being overridable or modifiable.

Hardcoded stuff is overwritable in sphere :p

7) Sphere has approximately 15-35 second world saves with high amounts of players and items.
Runuo barely hits 8 seconds. While system dependant, they are still significantly higher

15-35 seconds for a huge huge number of items and/or a really slow machine.

8 )* Sphere is approximately 23% completed with AOS. RunUO is 99% completed. (preference)

I dun want AOS so can't argue that one :p

9) Sphere requires approximately 4x more memory than RunUO for 1/2 the amount of items, decorations, players
and NPCs.

Are you sure? Someone on this forum said his RunUO was using 600mb ram for not very many players. Sphere isn't that bad on resources.

10) Sphere has hardcore bugs which are not fixable. RunUO may have one, although it is unlikely.

It's all fixable via script.

11) Sphere's IP firewall is bugged. RunUO's works perfectly.

Eh?

12) Sphere requires heavy remodeling of a system when changed from hardcode to script. RunUO
does not. Since the languages are the same, they can just exclude the file and put it into the
Scripts directory.

Yeah, if the system is hardcoded it'd require complete remodeling because you'd have to script it all.

13) Sphere has tags for all items mobiles and players, as well as accounts. RunUO can be coded to
have these if the shard administrator wants them.

14) Sphere barely has item detection support (to find an item within x tiles). RunUO has full support
for this.

Full support in sphere too :)

15) Sphere has no scope for variables. RunUO uses C++ Style OOP scopes for its variables.

Dunno what a scope is. Sphere has global and local variables if that's what ya mean.

16) Fixed

17) RunUO can be coded to interact with AIM, IRC, ICQ, or any other communication software. Sphere cannot.

It's an emulator for UO! Who cares! My mirc script connects to my sphere btw, for remote admin purposes via irc.

18 ) RunUO has a built in search engine for items in-game. Sphere does not.

I don't understand this, define what it does please.

19) RunUO has full batch command support. Sphere only has the nuke command, which does not work as well as
it should.

Sphere has a lot of commands other than nuke, nuke works just fine. Commands can be added via script as well. They're called functions.

20) Sphere uses Types, where it is impossible to combine types, or modify a hardcoded type. RunUO has
no such problem. An item can be comprised of many interfaces or parent items, and is not hardcoded.

Possible to edit hardcoded types in Sphere too. Possible to add multiple events/types on items as well.

21) Sphere's magery system is hardcoded, and cryptic when it comes to customization. RunUO's is 0% hardcoded
and fully customizable. This includes necromancy, and chivalry (if you want to use those)

Nope, wrong again. It's fully scriptable via the @triggers (there are a lot of them now) and/or do-it-all-yourself as my shard has done.

22) Sphere has no goal when it comes to a default type of gamestyle. RunUO has chosen an OSI clone although
reserves the power to the admin of the shard to change anything they want virtually.

The devs original goal is completely unknown to me, the goal I was told when I asked 'em was a basic functioning server that was easily customizable for the new admins and powerful enough for the old admins.

23) Sphere's gumps run at appromixately 1.75x slower than RunUO, and does not contain the same power
and dynamic functionality.

Gumps are 100% dynamic in sphere and i've never seen one lag lol... gumps actually can lag? :/

24) Sphere's syntax is bugged, preventing the ability to test many features. RunUO has no syntax bugs
considering it uses an actual coding language. Sphere's syntax and features being interlocked will
always cause problems because new features are always added to progress.

Yeah, everything has bugs. Have you seen what's fixed lately?

25) RunUO supports hashs as part of C#, Sphere does not have any such system.

Hashes? *is not a programmer*

26) RunUO can be programmmed to automatically restart when a script is updated on a schedule. Sphere
cannot be programmed to do such a thing.

AHHHHHHHHHHH something sphere can't do :( Oh well, I'd never need such a feature anyways *wink*

27) RunUO has full binary, xml, and text (with unicode) file read/write support. Sphere has no support.

Yesh :(

28 ) RunUO has full support of the house customization system. Sphere has no support, nor will it ever.

Apparently 1.0 does, or will, or something... I dunno, I wouldn't touch 1.0 or the house stuff with a 10 foot pole to be honest. My shard is pretty, players would make it ugly if we let them build :p

29) RunUO has full support of custom maps. Sphere has trouble with certain map dimensions.

No, the *client* has trouble with certain map dimensions, I have no problems with my custom map.

30) RunUO supports up to theoretically, thousands of facets. Sphere has trouble with just trammel.

Sphere was made *BEFORE* facets, keep this in mind. RunUO was not. Sphere has support for 255 planes, ie - the same exactly map/statics but differen't dynamic objects. You can have each one with a different "season" (like giving one that dead effect) but it does not support Haven/diff files.

31) Sphere has a spawning system with no interface. RunUO has a spawning system where you could make
a dynamic quest in-game. Or you can use a system with just a regular spawner that supports up to 10
objects.

Very easy to script anything like that in sphere i'm sure.

32) Sphere uses cryptic TDATA and MORE attributes which you have to memorize for every item type. RunUO
uses descriptive variable properties which can be referred to easily since they are created and used in
script (not hardcode).

Yeah, there are plenty of reference sites that explain these properties though :)

33) RunUO supports arrays of any datatype. Or an arraylist of multiple datatypes. Sphere has no support

1.0 does, but again I don't touch that ;)

34) There is no stable version of sphere meant to be used on a live shard. Almost all versions of RunUO
up to the newest, are meant to be used on a live shard and have only extremly rarly crashed using a fresh install during the first 10 beta's at most.

The revisions are fine to use.

35) RunUO has packet throttle regulation for movement of players (and/or staff). Sphere claims to have this
although tests show that gear still works.

Tried gear on the revisions? I'm sure 1.0's is broken if you say it is. I've never had a problem with speedhackers so I don't really know if it's stopped or not, support is added though.

36) RunUO can be coded to have support for custom clients, or other protocols connecting to it. Sphere
will never have this support. It is said to have some iris specials, although they are hardcoded and
consequently not modifyable.

37) Sphere is submissive to certain requests by the client (fixed in general), causing exploits like injection
and its variants to seep through. RunUO has no such problem.

No problems with injection on the revisions :p

38 ) RunUO can be coded to have a full web server integrated into it with ASP.NET and ADO.NET support. Also with
a feature similar to MyUO. Sphere will never have this support.

Yeah, that's why I have a real webhost that'll be away from my shard host. I wouldn't want the extra lag on the server anyways. For the new guy reading this though, Sphere DOES have a webserver for doing things like status pages and such.

39) Sphere has ODBC or some type of database support, although it is said to not be working. RunUO works
with databases via its MyUO clone called MyRunUO. And can be coded to use databases in any way needed.

Revisions have no database support.

40) Sphere changes its syntax to support more complex or "stable/effecient" coding. RunUO's language (C#)
will never change. In the event that it does, it will ALWAYS be backwards compatible. And the language
changing is up to microsoft.

Very very little syntax changes happened in the revisions, tons and tons and TONS of more complex and effecient coding was added. Everything changed is able to be turned off in the ini file, the map script changes (which were extensive) are easily converted automatically by the server for you with a simple command, so people with custom maps don't get screwed.

41) Sphere has linux support which is fairly buggy, and quite possibly discontinued. RunUO will have support
for other operating systems as clones for the .net framework are released.

Revisions have current linux support I believe, I wouldn't swear to that though... it'd be precompiled either way, so not necessarily gonna work on any linux distro.

42) Fixed -

43) Sphere only supports timers with items that have them. Timers do not work in backpacks or bank boxes (on purpose?)
and do not pass arguements, making them very limited. RunUO has full timer support which can be linked to type actions
and arguement passing, allowing a coder to do anything.

They work on the ground though, and equipped on players... so easy to work around the backpack thing. Universal timers are easy too, with an item somewhere to run the timer.

44) Sphere loop and recurse support is not completed, nor does it work for the current support. RunUO has various
loop and recurse support including while, for, foreach, etc.

For and While loops working perfectly ;)

45) Sphere has limited trigger support using the @Trigger system. Theoretically you can make new triggers although
it gives console warnings because its not built in. RunUO uses methods for triggering, and has full support due
to using a real language, for more triggers, and methods.

We had uh *cough* removed that warning to shut the console up. It only does the warning on startup though, not a huge deal. They do work perfectly despite it.

46) Sphere has limited support for new skills becuase they are mostly hardcoded. While RunUO has full support for
new skills. And with edited skill mul files, will be fully displayable by the client.

I have completely new skills in Sphere.

BBL, must get my late butt to work ;P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:17 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Oh?
Code:
- Added two file handleing commands:
   SERV.WRITEFILE <filename> <text>
   SERV.DELETEFILE <filename>
  Because these commands can be quite destructive, option flag OF_FileCommands (080) must be enabled
  for these commands to work. Be careful, because any GM with access to SERV.* commands could use this!
  More will follow soon.
- Added <READFILE filename line> statement
  If line == 0 this will return the last line of the file, if line == -1 this will return the first line of
  the file. This needs OF_FileCommands (080) to be enabled because of obvious security reasons.
  This will return "" (nothing) on failure.
- Added <FILELINES filename> statement, returns the amount of lines in a file.
  If this is 0 it means the file doesnt exist or cannot be read. This too needs OF_FileCommands (080).

TRY + TAG arrays

Linux and (soon) FreeBSD support are availiable for the R3 series.. Server software is suppost to be made to run on server operating systems, RunUO is for desktops to screw around on, not for production enviroments. (I do not call windows 2003 a server OS because it isnt stable, contains a gui (why the hell do you need a GUI on a system you never physically access), I could go on forever :P)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:10 am 
Not that I wanted to defend sphere too much, but I also don`t think RunUO is so allmighty :)

Anonymous wrote:
Quote:

...sphere vs RunUO...

textual vs. binary save: In my eyes, world save is much better, in any way I can recall. User readable, parsable by any 3rd party program, etc. etc. If it takes too much space, zip it.

Scripting: Yes, sphere script is not perfect, but nor is the RunUO`s; .NET assemblies can NOT be unloaded, that is just property of the environment. This - "Support for dynamic updates could be coded, although is not neccessary." is a pure lie. If it would be possible, it would be coded in.

Variable scopes: apart from spherescript not being OO, it does have scopes.

"RunUO can be coded to interact with AIM, IRC, ICQ, or any other communication software. Sphere cannot." - who cares? There is no support for this in the codebase anyway, so it would be the same as writing an additional program to sphere.

support for hashs: yes, sphere does have it. It`s called tags.

"RunUO can be programmmed to automatically restart when a script is updated on a schedule. Sphere cannot be programmed to do such a thing." lol. Sphere does not NEED this, because scripts can be resynced immediately.

Both emus do have their goods and bads. In fact I hope to create a very new mulator, which will take the good from both of them :P

2 Demostenes: ty aby ses tu nenacpal se svym polem :))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:41 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

On my lunch break :p

47) Sphere uses encryption, which is a standard, and can be decrypted easily. RunUO doesn't use encryption, lowering
the bandwith usage dramatically. Sphere also supports different encryption, which would require client modification
and therefore be easy to figure out and decrypt if needed. The added "security" is useless.

This wasn't done for security, it was done because they didn't think players would want to have to use a 3rd party program to decrypt the client to play on a shard.

48 ) Sphere has very little region support other than what is hardcoded (attributes) and tags. RunUO has support for
custom regions, custom region triggers, and tags (if you wanted them).

Sphere has support for custom triggers (in anything, as said above) and custom regions and custom maps and custom anything else. The majority of my shard is custom, and it's all on Sphere.

49) RunUO can be used to code fully automated tournament system (as an example of its power). Such a system is very
difficult, if not impossible to make in Sphere.

Sphere can code a fully automated anything system, honestly.

50) Sphere's targeting system only works through items and you cannot target the ground or a static item and retrieve
mul data about it. Also it does not support arguement passing. RunUO can do all of that and more.

Argument passing? As in functions? All functions can pass and return multiple arguments with ease. Targetting/terrain/statics/map info is in the revisions with ease as well:

Quote:
23-12-2003, Kell
- Added access to TERRAIN and STATICS either via P.key, MOREP.key or SERV.MAP(x,y).key, with key being one of:
TERRAIN The terrain ID
ISDIRT Checks the terrain ID to see if it's dirt.
ISGRASS guess
ISROCK guess
ISWATER guess again
STATICS Number of statics in the position
STATICS(n) ID of static Nth static ( eg: <SERV.MAP(200,300).STATICS(0)>. Shows no error in the console
if static isn't present, returning 0 - useful to test for a static w/o counting or looping.
STATICS.n same
STATICS(n).key Get a key from the appropriate ITEMDEF. eg: <SERV.MAP(200,300).STATICS(0).NAME>

Quote:
10-01-2004, Kell
- Added a way to assign a TYPEDEF to a terrain type. This means you can define what terrain types are
water, for instance. Example:
[TYPEDEF t_water]
TERRAIN = 00a8 00ab
TERRAIN = 0136 0137
This information is then used by ISNEARTYPE (and it has effect on all the hardcoded behaviour)
when trying to assert if there's t_water around.
Notice that ISWATER checks wether a terrain type is t_water, whereas <ISNEARTYPE t_water> would check
for terrain, statics and dynamic items.
- Fixed not being able to access properties of TARGP, as in <SRC.TARGP.X> or <SRC.TARGP.TERRAIN>.
- Added "TYPE" to the keywords available on a point. It uses the information above to return what item
type is the terrain at that point. So you can do TARGP.TERRAIN.

and...

Quote:
11-01-2004, Kell
- Changed .info command to show the type associated with the terrain (t_normal if none).
- Wrote sphere_types.scp - it is a REQUIRED script, as it associates terrain IDs to item types. This
replaces the old hard-coded behaviour (which by the way, was slower). By replacing it, I see no
need to keep the old code, seeing as all you need is to have this script, which will be distributed
from now on.
Add sphere_types.scp in spheretables.scp right after sphere_defs.scp.
- Removed ISWATER, ISGRASS, ISROCK and ISDIRT commands from points (they were introduced in R3). Please
use TYPE instead. For instance, use (<P.TYPE> == t_water) wherever you'd use <P.ISWATER>. Some might
have grown attached to these commands, but unified and coherent scripts are certainly better than
different methods for doing the same. Besides, this offers a lot more control (e.g.: <P.TYPE> == t_lava)
- Added ISNEARTYPE to the keywords accepted by points. So you can do <SRC.TARGP.ISNEARTYPE t_water> and
that will effectively test terrain type, statics, and dynamic items. This is probably what most people
will want to use, seeing as P.TYPE only test for terrain (and not statics or dynamic items).

51) RunUO has path generation for NPCs so that they do not get stuck. Sphere's NPCs get stuck quite often through
easy player tricks in certain area.

I can't find it in the revisions.txt, but i'm almost positive Kell changed their pathfinding around a bit so they'd not get stuck behind a wall and such.

52) Sphere AI is almost completely hardcoded. None of RunUO's AI code is in the core, allowing you to control how
your NPCs act down to the movement.

Kell added quite a few new npc AI triggers and functionality, anything though, can be scripted.

53) Since sphere supports encryption, and their encryption support is hardcoded (as far as I know). When a new
version of the client becomes available, they may not support it. Therefore saying that it supports the "latest" client
is deceiving.

It does support the latest client right now, if you're talking about 1.0. It also has a masterkey= setting in sphere.ini to add in support for newer clients as they come out, these are for the newer sphere versions however and not the revisions. The revisions support up to 4.0.0c I believe.

54) Sphere core is the only supported RC portion of the release. The scripts are not priority. This concludes that since
the core requires scripts to run, the core is not RC but in fact at the same state as the scripts. Had the script support
been discontinued, then the release would be considered RC. RunUO core and scripts are always supported and the versioning
reflects both portions of the release. Also, the release is never split in order to decieve users into what to download
and how to get the emulator to work

Management of their distributions has certainly never been a strong point of the sphere devs... come to think of it they don't have a lot of strong points going for them ;) The server however is really nice with the revisions.

Post subject: AI
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:45 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

I think both EMU's should redo their A.I.'s to the original 1997 NPC A.I. standard that OSI quickly killed to reduce bandwidth and lag. Each NPC was almost "alive" and could respond to over 250 questions, statments and phrases (all listed in the original players guide that came with it). The new ones for RUNUO and Sphere (not the revisions) seem to be robots with rusty joints and the IQ of a can of tomatoes...
BTW You going to post the 55iR3 download on your site Rose so the rest of us can get a copy?

*Moves the last pawn to take over the world*
Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:29 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Sure, you gonna pay my legal fees when Damian sues me for it? He's a fucking asstard with nothing better to do in life than throw his lawyer at people that host files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:41 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Ask him for the copyright registration number, if he dont produce one then he can get bent. :wink:

Your crew redid the code so its more yours than his anyways.

Dev