Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: First ... EMULATOR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:10 am 
Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman

Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:51 am
Posts: 102
The Emulator debate.

RunUO, Sphere or the "other guys"

Well, IMHO, the EMU we use should be using is RunUO.
I've tried, Run, Sphere, UOX and Pol over the years, RUnUO by far wins in my book.

The REAL question here should be, what version, 1,2 or SVN


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:06 pm 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master

Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:54 am
Posts: 970
RunUO without a doubt. It's heavily developed, stable, supported, and is open source.

All of the emulators are good and I don't mean to put down anyone's favorite. But I've used them all - UOX, Sphere, POL, and RUO - and without a doubt RUO is the best one.

It may not be the EASIEST. But I don't think EASY is what we are looking for from this project. We want something that is widely customizable, stable, and supported. You can't do much better than a solid software package that is open source, especially when you don't have to deal with a 3rd party scripting language that may or may not be very good.

_________________
-= HellRazor =-
Shattered Sosaria is coming!
http://www.shatteredsosaria.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:34 pm 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master

Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:29 pm
Posts: 414
just an observation, you indirectly make all servers windows based.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:41 pm 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master

Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:54 am
Posts: 970
The latest versions of RUO can be made to run on Linux. I'm not a Linux guru tho so someone smarter than me on that would need to address the particulars. :)

_________________
-= HellRazor =-
Shattered Sosaria is coming!
http://www.shatteredsosaria.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:29 am 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2002 8:01 pm
Posts: 1472
Location: CO, USA
I am by no means a linux guru, but I have a box we could use if need be. (I've slowly been converting myself to Ubuntu for daily use on my laptop)

I'm sure punt could nudge me in the right direction for setting up a server for the shard if need be.

Otherwise, if a windows box is the answer, so be that too. I can set up the computer for that too.

The computer I have available is a P4/1GHz with 512 MB ram and a 20GB HD. An OK starter box if needed.
[edit]
I should note this computer may be "slow" by modern standards but it is rock solid. I've been using it for over 2 years as a file server, and until recently as a Windows Home Server test box. Longest uptime was almost 6 months (running WinXP-SP2). I would trust this computer to just about anything.


Last edited by Ryandor on Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:10 pm 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master

Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:29 pm
Posts: 414
HellRazor wrote:
The latest versions of RUO can be made to run on Linux. I'm not a Linux guru tho so someone smarter than me on that would need to address the particulars. :)


There is a world of difference to "made to run" and fully supported. WoW is fully supported on the Mac OS , it isn't an orphan also ran.


Not stating it is a bad, or positive thing. Just a ramification of the decision, to be considered.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:55 am 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master

Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:54 am
Posts: 970
punt1959 wrote:
HellRazor wrote:
The latest versions of RUO can be made to run on Linux. I'm not a Linux guru tho so someone smarter than me on that would need to address the particulars. :)


There is a world of difference to "made to run" and fully supported. WoW is fully supported on the Mac OS , it isn't an orphan also ran.


Not stating it is a bad, or positive thing. Just a ramification of the decision, to be considered.


It IS supported - they've made some changes to make the server Linux compatible. But it probably needs to run under WINE or something. I'm not a Linux guy so I don't know the pros and cons of that. But yeah, probably not the same thing as being able to run natively. And sure, something to consider. But other than from a developer's standpoint, I don't think the platform matters much to the end users, only to those who need to develop the server.

_________________
-= HellRazor =-
Shattered Sosaria is coming!
http://www.shatteredsosaria.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:56 am 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master

Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:54 am
Posts: 970
Ryandor wrote:
I am by no means a linux guru, but I have a box we could use if need be. (I've slowly been converting myself to Ubuntu for daily use on my laptop)

I'm sure punt could nudge me in the right direction for setting up a server for the shard if need be.

Otherwise, if a windows box is the answer, so be that too. I can set up the computer for that too.

The computer I have available is a P4/1GHz with 512 MB ram and a 20GB HD. An OK starter box if needed.
[edit]
I should note this computer may be "slow" by modern standards but it is rock solid. I've been using it for over 2 years as a file server, and until recently as a Windows Home Server test box. Longest uptime was almost 6 months (running WinXP-SP2). I would trust this computer to just about anything.


Might need a memory boost. I'd recommend at least a gig of memory if not more. It's one of the most important parts of the server for running a shard.

_________________
-= HellRazor =-
Shattered Sosaria is coming!
http://www.shatteredsosaria.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:46 pm 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:57 am
Posts: 464
Use UOX3! It's stable, being developed, is supported, and is open-source. ;) It also runs on Linux, every now and then :P

_________________
-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group