Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:20 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I'm working on a utility that will convert Dragon map images into MapGen2 Terrain and Altitude images. I'm making good progress on it and all the hard parts are already figured out, so I'm expecting this to be done within the next several days. I will probably also add support to convert Dragon images to UOL images as well, but this might not make it into the first release.

Coming soon! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:48 am 
Young
Young

Sounds great..
Current status?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:54 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Its mostly finished. Both the altitude and terrain conversions work fine.

I'm trying to work out an issue with saving the resulting image file. Right now the maps save without an index, which would mean you need to manually add the index using a paint program. I'd much rather have the program do that!

It's a problem with GDI+ and I've been hunting for a workaround.

If I don't find some solution in the next several days I might just release it as is, warts and all.

I'm also working on adding the ability to convert from Dragon to UO Landscaper format, as well as between Map Generator 2 and UO Landscaper. I've run into some issues with the UO Landscaper conversions, for some reason the converted maps crap out in UOL even though they shouldn't (the maps contain the proper colors, the proper index, and are saved in the proper format, but UOL has issues with them). I'm trying to get ahold of DKnight to see if he can give me some insight as to why this is happening.

Thanks for your interest in the program! I thought there would be a lot more interest in something like this but its been pretty quiet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:17 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Just an update.

This is going to take a little longer than I anticipated. To do it right, that is.

My program currently converts the maps ok. But the problem is that I'm having problems saving the the converted map as an indexed bitmap (it saves as a non-indexed bitmap). GDI+, which is the graphics library used by Visual Studio C#, just doesn't make it very easy to work with indexed bitmaps.

So that would mean you would need to manually load the converted map in your paint program, load the palette, and then re-save it. Not exactly a desired thing to have to do, I want the program to do all the work.

It's not impossible or anything, I just need to do some things differently.
So I may need to re-think the way that I am doing the map conversions, which will mean re-writing quite a bit of the program.

The good news is that the finished program will convert FROM Dragon, UOL, and MapGen2; and TO UOL or MapGen2. So it will offer a means to easily switch programs!

I've been wrestling with this graphics format issue for a couple weeks now and its been a little frustrating. Graphics processing is a whole new area for me and there hasn't been a lot of info on the net to do what I want. But I think I'm on the right track now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:26 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

Probably easiest to just manually load/save the bitmaps yourself... the BMP format is not at all difficult.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:13 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I have some BMPs that are for Dragon originaly. I was about to ask how to do the conversion, colortables, etc etc etc etc..... Thank god for the "Search" tool :D

How's things coming?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:10 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I'm still working through the palette problem, that is really the only holdup but it has been a big one. Amazing that something so simple would become such a major problem. The GDI+ library has crappy support for working with paletted images.

I have a few leads and ideas that I haven't tried out yet. Maybe I'll be able to do some testing over the weekend.

Post subject: test result ?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:45 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Hows things going on this Project ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:41 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Still working on it I'm afraid. I just haven't had a chance to play around with it lately. I have a long weekend this weekend so maybe I'll be able to mess around with it some more.

The palette problem is frustrating because you would think that something so simple would be easy! But from my research and from correspondence with a few experts it seems like working with palettes in images is a real pain. And having a palette is required for any of the map creation programs, they won't work on images with no palette.

But in the worst case scenario, my program will still convert the map for you, the only difference would be that you would need to do a little more work after converting, you would need to take the following additional steps:

1. Use Worldmaker to produce a blank map image.
2. Save the palette in your paint program.
3. Load the converted map.
4. Load the palette from step 2.
5. Save the converted map.

I'd like to avoid all of that because it's just a bunch of stuff the converter should do for you, leaving it out would be kind of sloppy. Plus a lot of people who don't have experience working with paint programs and graphics might have trouble with all those steps.

I'll dig into this again over the weekend. I'd actually like to have this done myself, I have a map project of my own that the converter would be a huge help for which is why I started writing it. :)

Post subject: WOOHOO ....
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:50 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I know what you mean HR.

I have 5 full maps for a Krynn / Dragonlance shard to get converted and finalized. Imprint did map0 for me and I have 1-4 ready to go, but I'd like to use the more expanded capabilities of MG2. Esp since I have no clue how to script stuff for the older Dragon stuff.

Pallando
dragonlance.uozone.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:33 pm 
Young
Young

Thats a nice project, I realy hope you will be able to finish it. ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:15 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Good news!

I found some time to mess with the map converter today and I think I've found a way past the palette issue.

So - I think I will have a releasable product soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:21 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Here's a preview of the user interface:

The program will let you convert between formats (with the exception of converting from MG2/UOL to Dragon, since in many cases that may be impossible).

You will also be able to convert maps to the same format but with different configuration files (for instance, from Dragon Mod 9 to Dragon Mod 11).

The "Tag Missing Colors" option will allow you to easily identify any terrain that couldn't be converted due to there being no conversion present.

The "Find Closest Altitude" option will allow the program to find the closest altitude match in a conversion when no direct match exists.

There will be an XML file that you can configure to override any of the conversions. For example, say you have "Rough Forest" in your Dragon map. Map Gen 2 has a "Rough Forest" defined, but it is incomplete. You can specify in this file to convert "Rough Forest" to the normal forest color, overriding what is in the configuration files.

XMLs will be generated with the conversion tables used, as well as for identifying any terrain that couldn't be converted so you can easily identify what is missing and make any adjustments.

I've figured out how to get around some graphics issues that had me stumped for awhile and right now I'm in the process of re-writing the program into a release candidate. I believe I'll have something releasable within the next few weeks if not sooner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:42 am 
Master
Master

Sweet! No if only I had time to work on maps... :(

Post subject: SWEEEEEEEET!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:36 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

>Drools in Anticipation<

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:57 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Did this tool get finished?

I thought it was released in another thread, but the tool I have don't look like the interface you show here HellRazor

Pal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:20 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Not yet, it's undergoing a re-write. All the major problems are solved, I just need to find time to sit down and finish it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:39 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Ok, I'm actively working on this again! I'm hoping to finish it within the next few days. I go on vacation next Thursday so if its not done before then it probably won't be until after the fourth of july. But with any luck I'll be able to wrap it up before then.

Post subject: Sweetness!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:43 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Man am I glad to hear that HR.

I just got back from 10dys off myself and need to get back to my projects aswell :)

Thanks for the update

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:30 am 
Young
Young

How is this going? I guess you are not yet done?

THanks for an info on it!

Lia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:08 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Well I didn't get it done before the 4th (obviously!) and then I was away on vacation. But I am still working on it. I have to re-write a bunch of it and it's a drag having to re-do work I've already done once!

But - I will finish it! I'd actually like to have this done for my own shard so I have added incentive to get it done, and I have so much time invested in it already hehe.

Possibly by end of July? Hopefully anyways!

P.S. Right before the holiday I had a big scare because the hard drive that held the project (including the part that took me weeks to figure out how to do) failed on me! FORTUNATELY I found a utility that was able to restore the lost data from the drive. Whew. Rest assured it is backed up now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:40 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

HR as we all find ourselves in a "hard drive failed without backup" situation from time to time, would you mind sharing the name of the utility you used to recover your data?

Yeah I know it's off topic. Oh well.

Titus 2:13

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:16 am 
Young
Young

I'm still looking forward to your tool :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:57 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks for all the interest and support!

Just a quick update! I'm back to work on this and it's coming along nicely. I'm re-writing the conversion routines right now, terrain conversion is almost done. So far it's smooth sailing.

So...provided that I don't get burned out on working on this again, I should have a release out real soon!

Once the first release is out I'm planning on eventually adding the ability to convert transition files between Dragon/MG2/UOL. With this functionality you should be able to produce a pretty accurate duplicate of your source map using any of the programs (since you can use the exact transitions), and/or take advantage in MG2/UOL of Dragon's more complete transition sets and custom Dragon transitions others have made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:58 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Yukiko wrote:
HR as we all find ourselves in a "hard drive failed without backup" situation from time to time, would you mind sharing the name of the utility you used to recover your data?

Yeah I know it's off topic. Oh well.

Sorry I missed this! It was actually a utility specific to RAID drives which is what I have in my system, so it may not be useful for you unless you have a RAID setup. But I'll post the name of it when I get home.