Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:59 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks. I don't yet run a RAID system but if I ever do it's good to know what's out there. It's odd though that you'd lose data on a RAID system. I thought that was why RAID was created. I guess even the best systems fail. Then again maybe I am ignorant of exactly what a RAID system does.

Sorry for going "off-topic".

Titus 2:13

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:20 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Depends on what RAID configuration you are using. You can have striping (which is what I had, it is basically 2 hard drives acting as one, capable of extremely fast reads and writes); mirroring (which is 1 drive backing the other up); or striping AND mirroring (4 drives, 2 of them for striping and 2 of them for mirroring).

The program was called File Scavenger 3:

http://www.quetek.com

And I was wrong, it is not only for RAID configurations, but also for NTFS and FAT 32/16/12formatted drives.

It worked great for me, and found the data that another program I had used called NUCLEUS KERNAL FOR FAT32 & NTFS could not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:21 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Woo Hoo!!!

I have been a fan of Spinrite from Gibson Research for a long time but any tool to add to my arsenal is welcome. Spinrite is a low level recovery program and targets the magnetic flux pattern on a drive and attempts to make low level repairs but you need a higher level file ferreting utility to go along with it just in case it can't get the disk totally repaired. I'll look into that proggy and thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:53 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

>ANTICIPATION< it's killing me dude :P

How's the progress ? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:18 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Slow. :)

Still plugging away at it though. Just not as quickly as I'd like to. Got to find the time and energy. Hopefully some time before the winter hits though!

Sorry it's been taking so long. When I first announced it I had an almost completed program - basically all the code to convert color A to color B in both terrain and altitude was done. Then I hit a major snag with the part that writes out the new indexed bitmap and as a result I had to rewrite a large part of the code. I have the problem figured out and all, but rewriting code I've already had to do once is a real drag. I have to really be in the mood to make any good progress so as the mood hits I've been working on it.

Sorry for the delays. I promise this will be hitting the streets soon tho. I mainly need to get myself motivated when I have about 4-6 hours of free time to knock it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:29 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Thanks for the update

I know the feeling. I have the same with the maps on my project. Now thanks to this CentrED tool .... OMG am I geared up!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:16 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Awesome! I haven't tried CentrEd yet but it looks really cool.

One of the main reasons I want to finish my map converter is that I am working on a custom map that is about 2.5 times the size of the standard Britannia map. I created the map using bits and pieces of various Darkshard maps I bought. I'm really pleased with the layout and how the world looks. But of course the map is in Dragon format and Dragon won't allow custom map sizes. So the first job for my converter utility will be converting my custom Dragon map to MapGen2 so I can compile it. :)

The map will have no dungeon space on it - it will be one large seamless world. My goal is to create a huge world for players to explore. The dungeons and special areas will all be on other maps.

I always felt like travel in UO was too convenient. There was no incentive to explore the world other than to go to the major cities and spawn areas. Travel on my shard will be more restrictive than on UO (recall and gate will be reserved for high level mages only) I anticipate that most travel will be done by ship. I want players to actually explore the world rather than being instantly transported everywhere they want to go.

There will be some easy ways to get around tho. For one thing there will be a mystical gate that will take you to different places if you know the runic code for the destination, these will be achieved through drops and quests. There is also a stone that everyone will have that will take them back to their home city, and also a way for party members to easily assemble.

Hey Pallandro, I'd be interested in hearing more about your shard! I'm looking for partners with good ideas and skills, it would be great if a bunch of us who have been laboring on shards for the past several years could come together on a project. It's tough doing it all solo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:17 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

(Deleted, accidental double post).

Post subject: Well....
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:03 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Interesting HR... Your obviously tweaking the client to get that monster map to work. I wish I could figure that out, but hexcode freaks me out

Since you ask, My shard.
I have been a Dragonlance fanatic for 27 yrs since the first book came out. I own 100+ of the books and 3doz game modules and resource (collection growing by the month) So, When Iluvatar handed me the "Middle Earth UO" Shard last year I was thinking.... Do I continue struggling with a dwindling shard in a game world I only half heartedly enjoyed or do I make it into something "I" REALLY want to do.

After asking a buddy of mine at Intel to host on one of his monster machines, "DLUO" won out and "The Dragons of Deity Rising" project was born. http:\\dragonlance.uozone.net

I have 3 continents all based on original artwork from the authors covering the entire planet of Krynn. The storyline starts where all the books currently end and the players will determine the storyline from here. I will attempt to add in some concepts from the directions the novels take. Currently ...
1. Gnomes have discovered gun powder and the Solamnic Knights Created the Cannon as a result.
2.Goblins have revolted against the Dark Knights of Neraka and are attempting to find and start there own nation by controlling a previous Elven nation currently devoid of organized occupants.
3.The 3 Elven nations are in a chaotic refugee struggle to redifine themselves.
4.Ogres and Minotaurs are on the verger of controlling the world OR killing each other.
5. Draconians are members of the world community now instead of cannon fonder for evil can they survive in there newly formed city state of Teyr?

Since the orginal design I have changed it to be 3 shards now. Each of the major continents is now a Map0 of its own - Ansalon, Taladas and Adlatum. The reason being, each landmass is basicaly the same size and to have them on Maps 0,2,3 doesn't do the latter ones any justice. AND, since the people almost never mingle in the books, it should be difficult in the game aswell. To changed lands in the world now will require the account stripper utility an will take a weeks "voyage" AND cost a near fortune for "passage" on a trade expedition vessel headed for other lands.

I too HATE the wham bamm travel in UO of old. So, extremely high magic users and a very few moongates (created by a specific god for a single specific purpose - DL fans will know what I mean) Magic is greatly tied to the 3 moons and the religions they represent. Player races are Gnomes, Kender, Dwarves, Human, Elves, Minotaur, Ogre, Goblin, Draconian. Housing will NOT be classic, I will use the townhouse scripts (thus creating landlords) and make all RP styles based on the race and region. I also have hundreds of custom textures and tiles that will be incorporated from my travels on the net. I do have a few being designed specificaly for us. (paperdolls, animations, tiles etc etc) I am also including some underwater zones for Sea Elves and a few dungeon areas, these will be handled using "Water breathing" magic and enchanted items.

I could rattle on an on with ideas..... but, work bellows :)
HR I would love to join forces on some type of project, I have felt the same for long time. We have to many good ppl struggling alone to do shards that only 20 ppl will play anyway.( another reason I split mine into 3 shards)

Wayne
wstaple2@yahoo.com
wrstapleton@hotmail.com -MSN-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:46 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

That sounds really cool! I love AD&D, but I haven't been able to play it for many years now, and I'm sadly unfamiliar with most of the campaign settings.

But I am trying to bring some of the qualities of tabletop AD&D into UO. To that end I am trying to put a lot of emphasis on quests and campaigns. Also integrating a lot of old AD&D standards such as races/classes, experience points, dieties and feats.

The hard thing about getting people together on a shard project is that most of us have different ideas about the shard setting and the features. That's hard to get past because we all have a certain vision for our shards we are trying to accomplish.

But what would be cool is if we had a way to share resources like scripts/systems, artwork, web based stuff, etc. Not for public consumption because we want our shards to be unique, but shared between a small group of people. We could identify systems that we all have in common and then each person on the team could write a different system, and then we all share the end poroduct. We could even consider sharing staff members (world builders, seers, etc.) especially if they are good and they have the time to contribute to more than one shard.

I've been a one man show on my shard and it makes it really tough. I have tons of things I want to do but only so many hours in a day and I'm just overwhelmed most of the time. Many of the people I talk to feel the same way. I'm basically the script developer, the MUL editor/artist, the map creator/decorator, web developer, etc. all in one. It's easy to find in-game staff but its very difficult to find dedicated people that can do any of the technical stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:56 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am in the same boat as you HR. It can really get ya down some days.

It would be nice if the shards that are struggling for players could merge together into one or two good sized shards but like you said folks want to run things their own way and so on it goes.

I've often thought about just dropping my shard and joining forces since I have few players but it would be like giving up something precious. Heck I been scripting POL/eScript for five years and that's a lot of invested time, blod, sweat and tears to just toss away.

I agree it would be nice to be able to share resources but what with there being several different emus in use script sharing would be difficult.

Anyway, don't want to go too far off topic. I do that alot.

Oh and Pollando, sounds like a great shard idea. I am not familiar with DL, though I have heard the name before. Hope you can realize your dream buddy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:44 am 
Young
Young

all this seem really great. When do you think you'll be able to release that miraculous project ?

It could be great as i'm working on an update of one of my dragon map but i'd love to create it with mapgen or uol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:30 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

To be honest I'm not sure. Probably the next time I sit down to work on it I will knock it out. But I've been busy with my shard and my shard web site and some RL stuff so it's been a little difficult to get back to this.

But I will return to it at some point, and when I do I'll probably go into a programming crunch to just finish this up. I'm just not sure exactly when it will be. Hopefully before the end of the year tho.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:00 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hey HR!

So did you ever get around to completing that conversion tool that will take a Dragon Map and convert it over to the 2 Images needed for MapGen2?

Just wondering, as if it's working I would be interested in testing it on some (or all) of my maps and see how it works.

ttys
Carl (Imprint)

Post subject: .....
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:28 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Yea, A few of us have wondered and hoped the same thing HR.... Update ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:43 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I'm still about where I was earlier. I didn't get much time over the holidays, I was travelling over Christmas and New Years (went to Rome, Florence, and Pisa, and then to Paris for New Years). Then I had some computer problems that resulted in my having to rebuild my system. And then a hard drive failed on the new system, resulting in my having to re-install everything all over again. Big pain in the ass.

Having said that, I'm back from a brief hiatus from UO related stuff and I'll try to dig out the code and work on it some more. RL has been a real bitch lately and just doesn't want to cooperate with me. But I will try to get this done.

For what its worth, its holding up my own map development as well. :)

Thanks for your interest in the program tho, I'm glad there will be people who find this useful when its done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:45 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Ok, I'm back to working on this again. Hopefully I'll have something for you soon. Sorry for the long wait, RL has been keeping me pretty busy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:23 pm 
Master
Master

HellRazor wrote:
RL has been keeping me pretty busy.

Bah! Who needs real life?!? Work, slave!! *cracks whip* :twisted: