Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:51 pm 
We would appreciate if someone could make us a map whitout the cities.

We could built on the cities ourself.

We have a template on the idea of the world we would like or if you have something in mind already please help us.

I can be contacted at AIM : nicknciop

thks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's your lucky day.

Watch the news here tomorrow.

-Ryandor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:07 pm 
Ahh great, it's because you love me ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Check the site news, if you haven't already.

-Ryandor

Post subject: About that map...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:23 pm 
Okay, surely this is just me being insanely stupid, or maybe something simple I just haven't learned yet, but as the title says, that lovely looking map that I think would work nicely for a shard I'm working on...

Well, anyway so get to the point, I downloaded it and put it into my UO directory that my emulator sees, and copied the blank statics since OSI candlesticks and whatnot are not really logical additions to the oceans, and anyway when I loaded up sphere it seemed to see the map just fine, but when I tried to log in to check it out, my client crashed.

I assume this may have something to do with the blank statics, and there not being a login spot set up yet? The only reason this doesn't seem right is I've already tested a map I was working on in the last few days, and I could log into it fine, even with statics that I had created for it with dragonsp. So I assume there was a reason my map worked and this one didn't? P.S. I did try to make some statics for this map, but the same problem with crashing took place.

Any advice would be grand, because I'm sure if this isn't something logical and easy to explain, I won't be the only one asking this inane question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 12:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not really positive what the problem could be.

I did test the map (using RunUO and blank static files) a couple days ago and it tested fine. I've not used Sphere in a long time (and never really used it much at all to begin with) so I really don't know how that would be setup.

The login spots are setup within the server scripts and are not really related to the map, although, it's possible that it's trying to spawn you in a mountain, or underground. I wouldn't think it would matter, but maybe that's it. Use InsideUO to pick a "safe" location (empty grass area) and set the start points in SPHERETables.scp to that location (I think that's the file).

Additionally, you can also make your own blank statics using the fill/clear function of WorldForge, in case those are the problem.

-Ryandor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:05 am 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Not looked at it, but off the top of my head, with No statics included whatsoever, wont that make anyone wanting to use that map forced into placing each and every coast line, water edge tile around the map? that at the very least could take as much time as making your own map..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, then that's what I get for assuming...

When I was testing the map, and realized I didn't have forest and such, I completely forgot about coastlines. Turns out the statics that I did have for the map did have coastlines after all. So that's better than nothing.

Updating the news post in about 2 minutes.

Sorry about that.

-Ryandor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:45 am 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Hehe, I was just thinking again, *dammit Dian*
I dont need another map, but when I read all that, It immidiatly came to mind is all. you can curse at me, its okay ;)

Post subject: Ahh...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:29 pm 
Okay, sorry about postage. It seems my copy of UO had taken a dump, and after I reinstalled, everything worked just fine. Also, I like the map alot, and providing nothing goes wrong with this shard, I'll be sure to send along a link to the website once things are in the swing. Of course credit will be given where it is due.

Ta for now, and thanks for sharing. Good show!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:10 pm 
Moo Cow
Moo Cow

a common problem with that is if you overwrite the mul files for some reason they can become unreadable, such has been my experience with windows xp always best to completly remove the files before adding the new ones in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:25 am 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Indeed, the *.mul files are very sencative, and can not simply be droped in a folder, overwriting existing files. This is not just limited to a specific OS, it does same on win 98, ME, 2000, XP, etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:53 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I drop & replace em all the time. Everytime I update a mul or switch from OSI muls to my shard muls actually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The unreadable files is caused by having "Simple file sharing" on in Windows XP. While rare, it can sometimes screw up permissions, causing access denied errors and locked files.
Solution: Turn off simple file sharing and set the permissions on the folder above the locked file and having inherit permissions set.

-Ryandor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:19 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

I was actually refering to a different problem with Dropping *mul, overwriting existing *mul files. Sometimes, they seem to almost merve together, scrambling the 2 of them together. Have had several other people have this happen to. Its a rare occurance, but has happened.