Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:10 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

okay i just got done talking too ryandor on icq :) i got uoxc and i dont know where too start worldbuilding i figure i can worldbuild too get osmehting done over here and compile with dragon at my moms lol instead of getting friggen compile errors he mentioned xuri's worldbuilder hehe i got it so well how do i begin building the world lol
:roll: :!: :P :shock: :cry: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 10:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You should also post at http://66.188.57.144:8080/phpBB/viewforum.php?forum=11

They would be more helpful in setting up the server and associated programs. As I said earlier, I'me more of an expert on the map aspects.

Once you get the server all set up, and Xuri's WorldBuilder installed and set up, you should be able to add items and build what you need to.
Xuri's WorldBuilder is pretty easy to use. Once you've added stuff from there, then you save the world, and then freeze it using MulTool or WorldForge. Then the items you build are a part of the statics.
At that point you have no need for the wsc save world file, and should clear it out and start with a fresh wsc file. (Unless you wnat to keep a backup of the wsc file.)

-Ryandor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 3:54 pm 
Not a simple question to answer...

Basically this is how it goes...

Get Inside UO or UOXBox. Those programs will show all the items hats are available to decorate your shard with (Inside UO Artwork button)

To add an item after finding what you want to add from Inside UO or UOXBox you type 'add xx xx (where XX XX is the hex ID of the item)

NOTE: Hex IDs do not need the 0x in front of them (example item: 0x0429 from Inside UO) Drop the 0x prefix and put a space between the 2nd and 3rd numbers or it wont work.

Also if a Number appears as this: 0x1D You need to make it a 4 digit nex number. Simply add two zeros in front of the 1D so you get 00 1D for the ID number of that item.

Now, once you get a few items you want added to the world, if you want them to be permanent part of the decor, you do a 'SETTYPE 255 command and click on the item. What this does is sets the item to a world forge compatability, so when you freeze the map, ALL items with a settype of 255 go into the statics file and become permanent.

Hope this gives you a good start on what to do

I also posted this on the UOXC forums for convience ;)

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 6:20 pm 
Young
Young

Besides the technical stuff, which the others pretty much covered, my advice is simple: HAVE A PLAN.

Don't just expect to load up Photoshop and put out a great map in a couple days. It takes time and work. Especially if you want to go into detail.

If you don't have some already, get some grid paper. A scanner helps a lot too. The map I'm working on started out as a pencil drawing which I inked then scanned in. Many of the caverns are started the same way. If you have decent drawing skills, this can save a lot of time. Even if you don't, at least planning things out on grid paper will help a lot.

Besides the landscape, the towns & buildings take up space. Take a look on the default map and get a feel for how big a building needs to be. Again, the more planning ahead of time, the better your finished map will be. I've even taken to carying a sketch book with me so I can draw ideas when they hit me. Heck, I even sketched a real life cathedral I saw while on the bus, and used it as the base for a building on my map.

It also helps to make some "test" maps. Go ahead and be crazy... they can be very useful for seeing if some grand idea will actually work. You also get some experience out of it. Sometimes you might actually find something you didn't expect.

While world building is fun, it's also work. Don't start a project unless you are sure you will see it to the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 3:27 am 
Another advice on non technical stuff.

Once you have a plan and a skretch, don't build your map in "one step". If the map is going to be huge, do it part by part, otherwise you get the feeling to never be done ;-) Working on smaller areas gives you also much earlier the feeling of success and alows you to get more into details.

And if you want to get real deep into details, the DRAGON scripts and WorldForge will be your best friends for a while ;-)

If you have specific questions about the technical stuff, you'll find me in the UOXC forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:50 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

http://www.ryandor.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=50
go here i need help here really bad im not worldbuilding yet im just getting the info a head of the time im still makin gthe map :( but darn dragon stop freezing gah!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:52 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

also kinda wanna like fix the coast i got a lot of zigzaggy coasts :( i heard theres a program called uocoast but hav eno xp on that so could use some help :D

i really want dragon fixed :( if its not meant for xp then plz make it for xp lol

:evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 12:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dragon will work on XP. It's what I use. As far as UOCoast, I've not used it in so long, I can't remember how it does the coasts, if there are better than Dragon. You best bet is to experiment around with it.

Also, keep in mind Dragon is not being updated anymore. The author is only doing bug fixes. But since my mod is only designed for 1.03.62, that's the version you'll have to use for now. I now it works, given a good enough system.

This is what I feel should be the minimum requirements:
BARE minimums:
Pentium 233Mhz with 128MB ram
Recomended minimum:
PII/AMD 500Mhz with 256 MB ram

NOTE: Since Dragon generated the map in RAM, and the map size is ~75MB, you'll need at least that much RAM and/or HD Swap space to process it. In any case having at least 300MB Free space is recomended.
Plus the faster your computer, and the more ram you have the faster it process.

-Ryandor

Post subject: lets start over :D
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 3:37 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

umm okay i got nothing except the bitmap files and psd files so walk me thru this :D i know i have all those expectations you mentioned ryandor :( and as for the site thing its fine it works fine on this computer and my dads and my friends maybe u need too check your internet properties or something but i want to get dragon set up :( i dont understand why its freezing up creating raw map*
loading/whaterver black2dungeon.txt 48% bang endtask gets annoying :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What the psd files for? There are not needed for anything that I know of (map realted)

For the lockup at 48%, it's usually caused by a bad script, in this case black2dungeon.txt
Did you change anything in that file? If so, restore that file from the zip file and try again. If it is still lockup there, is there an error that pops up? If so, what does it say? Also, make sure your not running anything else and let it run by itself. As it's running, when it hits the point where it says black2dungeon.txt does it freeze immediately as it shows up, or is there a slight delay (timing is everything, as it can determine if there's an error with the file itself, or with a line in the file). Where talking instant vs. quarter second delay here, so watch it carefully.

Let me know.

-Ryandor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 6:04 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

it just freezes i didnt mess with script at all so whats up lol i gotta go 7am here biking too the domv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 3:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

"it just freezes" don't help me pinpoint the problem.
I'm not saying that it always works 100% of the time for me, but I can always figure out what it was. 95% of the time it is because I've changed something. the other 5% is due to thebmp or the system you run it on.

The only thing I can say at this time is to get my all-in-one and reinstall it.
http://www.geocities.com/ryandor/files/ ... 2-mod8.zip
(copy and paste the link into a new browser window)
extract that into a new directory, and try that. That zip has a complete setup with everything in it's correct directory. This way we can eliminate any problems within Dragon.

-Ryandor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 9:52 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

darn it i lost computer for a week over something so pointless and stupid but thanks i believe ive done this b4 but o well ill try again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:04 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

okay well i fought too get computer again and it payed im back and im redoing dragon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:23 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

okay im thinking i know the problem now the bmp this stupid program on my computer wants too view it ulead photo explorer im wondering if thats doing anything too dragon i redid dragon and im still having the problems i did the exact same thing i did at my dads house but i had static problems :( i should get the map converted over here but its not working whats up? im getting so mad i got this dude that wants his map done and then i got too do my map and he wants his done by august and im off too a rough start i wish dragon would work i wish dragon would work it keeps freezing i dont understand is it going too fast for te computer because it just freezes when doing a script :( and im getting pretty mad at this :( i cant guarantee hwne ill be on again ill be around plz reply ryandor or someone else!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:40 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

im just curious i need forums for my site is this free?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:54 am 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

Yep but you need a host that supports PHP and MySQL (and lot's of it)...

Or you could try Ikonboard which doesn't use MySQL and uses CGI instead of PHP.

If your using a free host, though, chances are it doesn't support any of the above and your out of luck on installing it on your website. The best you could do in that scenario is to use a remotely hosted board which has advertisements etc. :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 10:31 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

gall darn it ryandor where ru!!!!!!!!! gah gahgah i cant get dragon too run ive tried reinstalling GRRRRRRRRRRR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 12:10 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

Then don't use Dragon. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:18 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Troubleshooting for ppl that had same problem as me!

well i just got so sick of waiting so i experimented i did a search for windows xp home edition i searched Compatibility Wizard then i simply ran it clicked next and went thru it with these Locate File Manually next set it for Windows 98/Me and 256 colors and it ran fine for me if you worried about the change of the computer it will be fine after dragon is closed even though sometimes it can take awhile (minutes) too restore back too normal after closing dragon i hope this works for ya all

finally a post too help others!!!!

Last edited by owneroffears on Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Another way to get to it (and simpler) is to right-click on the Dragon.exe and select Properties, then select the Program Compatibility tab. Play around with the settings till it works :P

I use XP Pro, and have never had to use this to get Dragon working, but for XP Home, this might do the trick for everyone.

Glad to see it's finally working.

-Ryandor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 8:02 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

well im glad too and thought iwouldnt have anymore ?'s but i am wondering how i could keep the main map of uo but simply add on too it is there a part of dragon where you can do teh opposite make a map0.mul into a bmp file?????? i seen m2bmp is this what i should use?
man sick of asking ?'s but u guys have helped me so much so can you help me again lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The map2bmp program will not work for what you would like. It cannot translated it 100% to a bmp usable to convert back. Think about how many altitudes and tile types are in the brit map. The color table for Dragon don't cover them all.

There may be a solution for this in the future, but it's still early days.
:)

-Ryandor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 3:52 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

okay now another ? my friend i want too make him smething like u made how do u make pdf files adobe acrobat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

you answered your own question!
of course adobe acrobat makes pdf's
???!!!

-Ryandor