Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:36 am 
Young
Young

Greetings!

Well, I'm working now on an entire shard to reenact an AD&D campaign we had a time ago with some friends of mine and...Myself! So I choosed UOX3 (You're the man, Xuri :D) as the server and decided to NOT use the pre-made Britannia map, and craft a whole new one from scratch. Worldforge, obviusly, wasn't the tool to start doing that, and after searching a couple of hours on this website, I realized that Dragon was the master smith's hammer, that would accomplish my hard task as a worldbuilder.
Here's where the ordeal starts, and where help is required:
When I took Worldforge at first to CLEAN the map0.mul and the statics, the map file was already -readable- and recognizable by the server, and I would have been playing on an endless green meadow for ages, until I found the Dragon. I made a pretty neat map using Adobe Photoshop 7.0 (I hope that doesn't matter) following each instruction step-by-step, and finished it by half, workwise, the lasting half is basically the dungeon basis, that can be made during the up-server time, and counting with all the player's opinion. Right, after that, I used -Dragonmod11- to convert the BMP to a UO readable .mul, overwriting the existing Britannia at both server and client sides (Both are inside my HD) and...NOW THE SERVER DOESN'T RECOGNIZE THE MAP AS A VALID "map0.mul"!
Is there anything that you can do to help me?
Any info missing to handle the trouble properly?

Please, keep me posted

GM Pandaros
From "Amanecer Blanco" UO shard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:07 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

By default, UOX3 expects a map sized 7168x4096, as per defined in uox3\dfndata\maps\maps.dfn. However, chances are you've made a map sized 6146x4096 - which requires some changes:

Rename the existing maps.dfn to maps.dfn.bak or some such, then rename the other maps files in that folder, maps.4xclients.old, to maps.dfn. It contains definitions for maps of size 6146x4096.

If your map (against all odds) is of a different size than those two mentioned above, you must change the maps.dfn file yourself and specify the correct size of the map.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:08 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

I think it should be 6144...

Post subject: Many thanks
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:27 pm 
Young
Young

Many thanks to both, guys...It seems that the maps.dfn was set to read a 6146x4096 one, and not the 7168x4096, so I just had to change the values and...Voila! My custom map is running preciously
Now that I can see it from another perspective than the given on the InsideUO, I realize that I have to work some on the overall appearance of the map

Again, (It may sound very 'n00bish', for being reiterative) thanks for your time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:44 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Errrr, yes, of course - 6144 not 6146. Don't know what I was thinking :P Thank you Syd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:44 am 
Master
Master

Heh, heh... still i a cant to make my map to be ML'ed.

Hi guys for a long break!

"Be calm and silent, as Darkness care not of passions and lies. Be patient and cold, as Darkness exists out of borders of time and emotions. Just be yourself, as You are in the Darkness and Darkness is inside of you."
-Dark Ones Doctrine, 2001y (c)-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:27 am 
Young
Young

Mmmhhhh, sorry to disturb but, my now playable map present a pair of issues, but none as important as this one:

Before the convertion process, all the basic terrain was set to a 0 (Zero) altitude, and due to some designing glitches made by me :oops: , the forest wasn't too "expanded" to spawn some trees. So, finally, all what I've got then were a whole bunch of flowers (Also on the marble, wood and stone tiles. Strange) few trees and no coastline (The sea is made of "Ocean -5" tiles, if it's a note to take) Later on, I decided to revamp the map altitude and the forestline gross: Using mostly +5 terrain tiles for the first accompliment, and avoiding sponge-like brushes while going for the solid ones, for the second task. I converted everything again, so and so, but the statics were buried like if they were still on Z=0, as for the trees, they're invisible, but the game consider them as obstacles inside the forest line.
Is this a just-one-time issue due to the altitude change? Or there's a way that the static burying stuff never happen again?

Thanks in beforehand for the help that you're going to give, though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:51 pm 
Master
Master

The statics are separate from the map tiles, so when you raised the altitude of the map tiles, the statics stayed where they were (at z=0). You could unfreeze the statics and raise them by 5 using 'area' commands (I assume UOX3 supports this?), or you could fix the altitudes in the bmp image and recompile it, getting the statics in the right place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:17 pm 
Young
Young

Done...
I have my shard and the client on the same computer, but I wasn't updating my shard .mul files to the client files folder, so it made the statics to be there, but their visibility was locked to the older client level (Before the update)

Also I'm having some troubles with the coastlines which, in the way they're spoken of, don't seem to be relative with any kind of tile (Ocean -5 ones) But I can live with it

I'll be bringing to the forums some prowess pictures, later on, when the map becomes something decent. Until that, farewell