Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Would it be helpful...
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:43 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Now that we have the terrain tile swapping for the 3d client resolved (or at least, Ithink so, since no feedback on the program), it started me thinking on a few things.

Would the ability to replace all of a tile, with another be useful in general (say for art tiles as well?)?

What about attributes (say, only between these x,ys), or with this hue (and change to this hue)?

If so, what exactly would one consider option wise makes sense?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:40 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

We do? I haven't had time to work on any trans the last 2 nights and even still 3d client is low on prioritys. When I get cave entrances and embankments fixed I'll look at it.

Anyway, I assume you are talking about the map editor? Yes, all of these features would be useful methinks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:31 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Quote:
We do?

yes, but I was referring to the code I posted in the thread on lava transition, not in the actual Map Generator Data!

Quote:

Anyway, I assume you are talking about the map editor? Yes, all of these features would be useful methinks.

I hadn't thought about the editor, but more would a quick and fast utlity for such things be useful (without the overhead of an editor)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:37 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

We have scripted a dozen or two such functions to swap items at this z or of that color or some id with another id or whatnot. A whole script full of building functions lol.

We use them tons, very spoiled on how convenient they are. So yeah, I think such a program would be very useful.

By "we" of course, I mean Dragonfire only since he's the sole builder :p

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:26 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

punt1959 wrote:
Now that we have the terrain tile swapping for the 3d client resolved (or at least, Ithink so, since no feedback on the program), it started me thinking on a few things.

Would the ability to replace all of a tile, with another be useful in general (say for art tiles as well?)?

What about attributes (say, only between these x,ys), or with this hue (and change to this hue)?

If so, what exactly would one consider option wise makes sense?

Absolutely.

As a thought, one thing I've always wanted to do was to be able to have a winter season. You can achieve this partially through packets (the same way the burned-out Felucca effect is achieved), but OSI never completed all the transitions for winter, so the end result looks really sloppy.

Having said all that, any tools that allow swapping and moving tiles and tile hues are VERY useful, those are chores that are very difficult to do manually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 7:43 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

So, can anyone give some thoughts on what it is they would be looking for?

A table with tileid and replacement ones?

Art and Terrain?

I would like some focussing if possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:52 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hellrazor how would you go about using it though? Require players to download new statics each time the season changes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:14 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

If it was possible to modify the "facet tilesets" and manually fix the winter-season, it would only be a matter of a one time patch to the users, any seasonal changes can be done on the fly in the client.

I've seen several shards that have screenshots of functional winter seasons, so I assume they've managed to do just what I mentioned above, somehow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:19 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

RoseThorn wrote:
Hellrazor how would you go about using it though? Require players to download new statics each time the season changes?

Yeah, basically. Or you could just put them into a diff file. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:21 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

punt1959 wrote:
So, can anyone give some thoughts on what it is they would be looking for?

A table with tileid and replacement ones?

Art and Terrain?

I would like some focussing if possible.

Both art and terrain. Old tile, replacement tile. Something visual would be cool. Some kind of intuitive drag and drop method? Not sure how to make it look and feel, but the more visual and the simpler, the better. Preferably you wouldn't need to exit the program to do anything, you could do it all from within the program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:29 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Xuri wrote:
If it was possible to modify the "facet tilesets" and manually fix the winter-season, it would only be a matter of a one time patch to the users, any seasonal changes can be done on the fly in the client.

I've seen several shards that have screenshots of functional winter seasons, so I assume they've managed to do just what I mentioned above, somehow.

Hmm, why does one think one cant fix the tileset? The tile swapping is hardcoded, but is the issue with the texmaps themselves? or incomplete swapping?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:03 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

punt1959 wrote:
Xuri wrote:

Hmm, why does one think one cant fix the tileset? The tile swapping is hardcoded, but is the issue with the texmaps themselves? or incomplete swapping?

Well I'm not assuming it's not fixable, I just don't know of a way to do it :) I have no idea where in the client (hardcoded in client.exe, or data saved somewhere else?) it says "ah, wasteland facet, replace brambles with gravestone and flowers with skulls and bones" - or "replace this or that forest/grass tile with an equivalent snow tile".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 3:31 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I would so love to have a functional winter season :(