Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 4:59 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

This spot (shown below) is not on either my terrain.bmp or my altitude.bmp ... both files show the exact same tiles as the others around the spot. I have re-drawn and re-compiled the map several times and this spot is always there ... both files have been made indexed with the appropriate palette (generated using map generator 2) ...

I am using Punt's Map Generator 2 ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:35 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Any chance you have any dif files in your client or map directory?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:04 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

punt1959 wrote:
Any chance you have any dif files in your client or map directory?

Well ... I'm not sure what you mean by dif files ... but I have the following in my Client Directory:
mapdif0.mul, mapdif1.mul, mapdif1.mul, mapdifl0.mul, mapdifl1.mul, mapdifl02mul, stadif0.mul, stadif1.mul, stadif2.mul, stadifi0.mul, stadifi1.mul, stadifi2.mul, stadifl0.mul, stadifl1.mul, stadifl2.mul

Is that what you mean???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:16 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

You are using deep water instead of shallow water.
Shallow water is static tiles for coasts, you should use it anywhere touching land and for 5-12 tiles out (8 is OSI average).
Deep water is water maptile it is used for the rest of the map.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:32 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Stormcrow wrote:
Shallow water is static tiles for coasts, you should use it anywhere touching land and for 5-12 tiles out (8 is OSI average).

Ok ... I think I have found the source of the problem ... I followed the following steps using photoshop CS 8.0:

1. I created the file 7168x4096

2. I went to Image > Mode > Indexed Color and in that windows I loaded the custom palette (.act) file that I had created using Map Generator 2

Now here is the problem ... The shallow water color in the Palette is #0000A9 (R:0 G: 0 B: 169) ... but when I paint it to the pic it comes out #0000AA (R:0 G:0 B:170) ...

This seems to be the only color that is doing this ...

What am I doing wrong???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:40 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

well, those dif files will aslo wind up "patching" your map as well.

dif files are a way for OSI to patch the different facets. The map you generate will not be expecting those patches. So you need to zero them out, or delete them (rename them).

As for the color issue, stormcrow is better versed to answer.

Hopefully, I will be getting another data update soon from stormcrow, which I understand allows one to have different altitude coast lines now. Stormcrow is busy at work on them, but hopefully I will get an update soon and will post it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:01 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

punt1959 wrote:
well, those dif files will aslo wind up "patching" your map as well.

dif files are a way for OSI to patch the different facets. The map you generate will not be expecting those patches. So you need to zero them out, or delete them (rename them).

As for the color issue, stormcrow is better versed to answer.

Hopefully, I will be getting another data update soon from stormcrow, which I understand allows one to have different altitude coast lines now. Stormcrow is busy at work on them, but hopefully I will get an update soon and will post it.

I removed those files and UOX3 says shows a failure for those files ... but the odd water hole is gone ...

the thing I need to know now is how can I prevent this from reappearing on the clients that connect to my server without harming their ability to connect to standard map servers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:05 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

The dif files require the server to send a packet to the client to activiate them. Most servers, if they have no dif files, will not send the packet, thus the clients shouldn't have an issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:07 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Do a search for dif files. Lot of info. It comes up a lot. Then check back if you still have questions. As far as the painting goes, I don't know why it would be doing that, I have no problems but I am still using PS 6. The color for deep water however is B:129 (or 0x000081) so it shouldn't be giving you other results. Make sure you aren't using any antialiasing or tolerance ranges other than 0 in PS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:16 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

punt1959 wrote:
The dif files require the server to send a packet to the client to activiate them. Most servers, if they have no dif files, will not send the packet, thus the clients shouldn't have an issue.

Hmmm ... then why did my dif files create that water hole ...

Quote:
Do a search for dif files. Lot of info. It comes up a lot. Then check back if you still have questions. As far as the painting goes, I don't know why it would be doing that, I have no problems but I am still using PS 6. The color for deep water however is B:129 (or 0x000081) so it shouldn't be giving you other results. Make sure you aren't using any antialiasing or tolerance ranges other than 0 in PS.

I was actually hoping to edit out that question ... because obviously there must be a way or custom maps would be a huge problem instead of a benefit ... and plus I have a lot of map creation to do before I need to worry about clients connecting ...

Also .. it is the shallow water (not deep water) that I am having a problem with ... it shows up as B:170 in the palette.xml file ... so I am thinking that the .aco file must have a slight error ... and the .act file is correct ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:21 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

cavalier67 wrote:
Hmmm ... then why did my dif files create that water hole ...

Becuase the dif files where in the directory the server you where using looked for its mul data? Most if they find dif files, send the packet. When they are gone, the packet isn't sent (or zero size).

I will look into the aco file, but cant really test, as I dont have it, and only going by my understanding of web documentation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:30 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Interesting, checking through my files, I find that according to terrain.xml shallow water is indeed B:170, my terrain.act file agrees with this but my terrain.aco does not. However I have not had any problems with it not giving me the proper terrain. As to Photoshop, it doesn't really care what color it is so much as what index it is. So if the colors on your aco are slightly off it doesn't matter as long as they are the correct index (to confirm this you can make that swatch some color like red and paint with it on your image and it should still show up as the correct color....I think)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:56 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Ok, so can one please describe the problem exactly.

For one the color in the ACT is?
And for the ACO is ?

The only difference is the ACO has the color scaled to 16 bit (from eight bit) for a channel. I assumed that this was done by multiple by 256. if that is incorrect, then I am not sure the correct approach. But I need a specific example, and what the two results are, and suppose to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:09 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Well the shallow water should be 0x0000AA and it is 0x0000A9 in the aco.
I don't know about any of the others at the moment (does anyone want to compare the colors in the act and aco to the stated values in the terrain and altitude xml files?) However it should not cause a problem, because the indexes are ultimately all that is important (not saying it isn't worth fixing, but that puts it way down on my priority list).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:19 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Ok, interesting. I am definately writing 0xAA to the aco (shifted up) by eight.

have to think about the scale a bit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:24 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Ok, rechecked my scale, and believe it should be 257, not 256 (0xffff/0xff)

Anyway, if one could get the latest, and see if it generates correct aco files would appreciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:52 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Quote:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:32 pm Post subject:
Stormcrow wrote:

Ok ... I think I have found the source of the problem ... I followed the following steps using photoshop CS 8.0:

1. I created the file 7168x4096

2. I went to Image > Mode > Indexed Color and in that windows I loaded the custom palette (.act) file that I had created using Map Generator 2

Now here is the problem ... The shallow water color in the Palette is #0000A9 (R:0 G: 0 B: 169) ... but when I paint it to the pic it comes out #0000AA (R:0 G:0 B:170) ...

This seems to be the only color that is doing this ...

What am I doing wrong???

the map is 6144x4096, yours is too big

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:02 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Not for ML it isn't. It is the correct size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:27 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

You can replace the diff files with 0 byte files, just back them up and replace them. You can use something like notepad to create a 0 byte file.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:21 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

The problem with the odd water filled hole (see picture above) was solved by removing the dif files from my client directory ... thanks punt ... I will try and figure out which one was causing the issue if anyone is interested ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:12 am 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

It is the dif files for whichever map you are using. They need to be removed for any custom map.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:19 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

And just to further explain exactly what the DIFF files are:

The DIFF files are patches to the map that are loaded by the client. Anything in the DIFF files will override whats in the map. OSI uses this method as a way to make changes or adjustments to the map without users having to download huge patches. The DIFF files also patch in the differences between Trammel and Felucca (for example, the Yew swamps in Felucca and Haven in Trammel are both contained in the DIFF files).