Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:15 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am designing a huge city that is on a southern coast and I wanted to have the landscape of the city rise towards the south where it will end in seacliffs with a palace/castle at the top ...

The problem that I am having is that the rising altitudes as you move south look terrible. They are either a flat line (using grassbumps with walkable grass ramps) or they are all but invisible ... Is there a good technique to improve the look of increasing altitudes as you move south (or east) everything looks great if you have the higher altitudes towards the north or west ...

SOME POSSIBLY USEFUL INFO:
The main part of the city is sitting at grass0 right now and is boarded on one side with swamp0 and a river (water-5) on the other. I am thinking about going with grass10 with a forest10 boarder to give the swamp that sunken look ...

Any help here would be most appreciated ...

Thanks ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:40 am 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Hard to picture this..

Now are you wanting the landscape to seem to be rising higher through the city, where the highest ends at the castle.. and the opposite side of the castle would be a cliff, dropping off into the ocean?

Well, I think your best results would be to do something like that one spot at the Britain bank, as you walk on the west side, going north.. the cobblestone raises gradually there. (or at least right around there)

detail: If you have your paths along side of your buildings raise gradually.. maybe ~15 z level.. and even using 1 z increments per step.. the building will become your background, and you will really notice the altitude changing. You can flatten the paths out between the buildings where there is no building wall to reference your character with.. and start a gradual raise again at around your next building.

I think that's what you are missing, you just need something standing out more around your character. This is just an example, there's tons of other things you can have in place of buildings too.. Just plan out where your increases will be noticed more.. you dont have to have the land increase altitude gradually over 200 tiles, rather spread out those increases in increments where they will show the most.

*note, this kind of landscape is by far one of the hardest and uncommon styles seen on a custom map.. it both takes a lot of thought and plannig, but most of all, the time it takes to detail the area. most dont have the patience to complete these kinds of landscape*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:39 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Dian wrote:
*note, this kind of landscape is by far one of the hardest and uncommon styles seen on a custom map.. it both takes a lot of thought and plannig, but most of all, the time it takes to detail the area. most dont have the patience to complete these kinds of landscape*

Also by far the most rewarding when done right. All excellent tips Dian gave you so I have nothing really to add to them, except to reinforce and to encourage you to keep at it. You'll just have to experiment til you get the look and feel you want. Sometimes it is good to raise up suddenly an quickly. Other times you want to go slow and gradual. Also don't forget that you can always use stairs in places where you want the altitude to rise quickly but don't want the walkable area up it to be a ridiculous steep slope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:52 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks ... I hadn't thought about the effect of buidings .... duh ... was just thinking about the terrain ... gods but this giant 1000x2000 tile city is a pain :)