Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Caves With MapGen?
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:19 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Are these handled the same way as Dragon. Or differs?

Ronin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:28 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Dragon only handles 2 way transitions. period. Map Generator handles 2way, 3 way... almost whatever you an imagin, with in some limits I guess. So yes, they are handled a lot different, being you can have a cave done complete with Map Generator, rather than needing to finish the cave transitions off with World forge, after Dragon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:08 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I dont know what you just said... but that was hot :)

Wow. but isnt map gen not complete? Tralanlation wise? Are there any tuts out for it.

Ronin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:12 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Basicly In your personal thoughts...

Which would be best to start making a map with

Dragon Mod 9
Dragon Mod 9+
Dragon Mod 11
Mag Gen?

Something that i wont have to go back and do alot of WForge edits later with.

Ronin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:14 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Transitions are still getting completed.. theres a lot already avaliable right now.. much of its still getting finished up, etc, etc.. like punt is making a transition tool, that will let you create your own transition scripts, visually, rather than editing files by hand..

I see your already registered on the Map Maker site.. all this stuff is still kinda 'loose' atm, but within a short time here, This site will be completly changed over, merging World Maker in with us.. so, just hang tight. I cant really stress enough though, you would be much better off scrapping dragon projects, and getting familiar with World Maker in the mean time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:17 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I like the feel over Map Gen i have been playing with it some latly. Just need to start work on a map for my server and dont want to get half way into like i did with mod11 and have it all for nothing.

Ronin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:28 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

RoninGT wrote:
I dont know what you just said... but that was hot :)

Wow. but isnt map gen not complete? Tralanlation wise? Are there any tuts out for it.

Ronin

If we could figure a way to transfer the data, I think stromcrow has completed a rather reasonable size transition list. We are also working on getting coast lines to handle different altitudes, without having to rework in WF or some other map editor (such as WorldMaker Map Editor *grin*).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:30 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

The great thing about the way Map Generator works.. using 2 images, one for terrain, other for Altitude.. is you paint your map (terrain/land tile) with one solid color for each tile.. so all your grass would be one single green color from the palette, one single green shad for forest.. etc, etc..

Where I am going here is, even if the palette changes a bit later, converting your map is as simple as refilling your areas with the updated color.. see what I mean? rather than Dragon, if the color palette index's change, you have a massive amount or work trying to convert all your terrain and altitude color shades over to the other palette.. if that makes sence.

The altitude palette.. that is a little different, but for the most part, I believe it is prety solid, as to staying as it is now..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:36 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

The other "insulation" one has from palette changes, is one can actually totally chang every index they want (versus changing the color), and still perserve the data through the ability to set the hash index seperatably if needed in the terrain.xml.

Granted , altitude.xml doesn't have this, but if it is an issue, it is easily added.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:02 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Is there a good tutorial out there for world maker? I have looked around but with no luck so far ... If it is the future of UO map making then count me in ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:43 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Currently there is no real tutorial or docs for it. This is somthing we are waiting on, untill the overall program is solid. (meaning the distro releases are stable, and complete) There is still concept punt is thinking on, that will change the look of a few things.. (being vague here) so untill the tool is finished enough to remain in its shape.. tutorials and such would be subject to need rewriten often as well. But there will be some soon!

Post subject: Doc and future
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:51 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Well, this is how I see it progressing.

1. Map Generator 2 tested enough and with a reasonable data set. Turorials can be made for that, for it may be around for awhile (with minor upgrades as needed).

2. Work starts on WorldMaker Studio. This is the big question mark, of what it wants to be. Given the renewed interest, I would like to make this as much as a community project as possible. For that, I am willing to start from the ground up, and create a studio application (within my limited abilities), that will address were people want to go. If that means an all in one mul editor, with map generation, so be it. This project will be a time consuming one, but hopefully with substantial intermediate releases. I know there has been some recent activity in mul editing, with FloppyDiscs recent MulEditor (you should check it out, it is nice). But I haven't seen any community project, that one can have all the source that is generated, and learn, modify, and do whatever one wishes to. So perhaps this renewed interest in a few of the WorldMaker tools, may be the start of that.