Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:35 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Sydius wrote:
What is a beach, then, if not sand meeting water? :lol:

I would just put a ring of dirt or grass around the swamp, then the sand.

Does the ring of grass tiles run into a moss transition when meeting swamp?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:10 am 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

I am not sure. The best idea might be to do a test of what happens when two different land types meet, and see which you like best. Another alternative is to use a cliff around the swamp -- that might even make more sense, though you might need to create ways to get down/up it manually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:53 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I plan to make my swamps unwalkable oceans.

But as far as I can tell, there aren't any "sand cliffs" for the sand terrain, are there?

No wait, there apparently are, as this is how sand transitions to oceans on the OSI shards.

So it's really a matter of making a swamp build in the same way that a lake would build

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:18 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Nebu wrote:
Stormcrow wrote:
Swamp and sand? No of course not. Why would swamp transition to sand? Total saturation with water to a total lack of water? There should be some other terrain in between.

Well gee... some people are creative.... :shock:

You think the laws of physics have to be constant throughout all shards? That is why you fail.

More along the lines of stretching my suspension of disbelief past the breaking point. If I came onto a shard and saw swamp next to desert or snow next to desert or something else that just doesn't go then I am not going to think "wow, how creative" it is more like "wow, what dumbasses".

Yes, Syd does have me on what is beach...but Syd is Mr Technical as always. So technically the way I said it was wrong, but I will still stand behind the spirit of what I said; swamp does not belong right next to desert. There should be grass or dirt in between (and being as the only transitionary tiles we have in UO for swamp are moss or grass you've got 2 easy choices).

Anyways, as far as what you want, you could actually quite easily do this by using the water scripts and replacing the water static tiles with swamp static tiles. It may look a little funny around the coastlines, because there aren't coastal tiles for it, but being the creative guy you are I am sure you will figure something out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:38 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Um excuse me but there are coastal tiles for swamps. They are moss.

And in fact, there are coast tiles for acid too. I'm just gonna try to replace the water tiles with acid tiles. Can that be done? Is there support for the Mondain's Legacy tiles?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:55 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Nebu wrote:

And in fact, there are coast tiles for acid too. I'm just gonna try to replace the water tiles with acid tiles. Can that be done? Is there support for the Mondain's Legacy tiles?

For Dragon? Yes, if you scripted them in, but it won't support the ML size map.

Mapgenerator supports anything you can throw at it. The distro dataset is not finished, although I am planning on supporting acid in it, but acid only seems to transition to black.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:14 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Stormcrow wrote:
Nebu wrote:

For Dragon? Yes, if you scripted them in, but it won't support the ML size map.

Mapgenerator supports anything you can throw at it. The distro dataset is not finished, although I am planning on supporting acid in it, but acid only seems to transition to black.

How can acid only transition to black? It's seems to behave the same way as water, the water tiles sit directly next to the land tiles, except the "shoreline" tiles are added in to give a smooth transition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:17 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Nebu wrote:
How can acid only transition to black? It's seems to behave the same way as water, the water tiles sit directly next to the land tiles, except the "shoreline" tiles are added in to give a smooth transition.

Was looking at the landscape tiles. Yes, having looked over the static tiles they are similar enough to coastal tiles I suppose that that would work as well. At any rate, they aren't high on my priority list right now. Eventually will get around to them, of course you are free to write your own scripts for them. The program while unfinished is quite useable...it just needs a good clean data set.

Also punt is as we speak working on a transition wizard that will aid in creating your own transition scripts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:41 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I'll just wait for the new map generator to officially be released. Should only be a few days now right? This isn't OrBs or RunUO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:52 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Quote:
This isn't OrBs or RunUO.

Although true, and I have even made that comment myself.. I would like to ask that it be not used anymore. That kind of comment can be taken many different ways, and more likely in a negative way. We do not want any kind of disputes between these other communities. More than that, we do not want to ever become known as a community that puts down any other affiliating community.

Anyways, yes.. a matter of days is realistic. Its nearly left to Stormcrow to decide when he has a complete enough transition package for a 'distro' type release.

Again though, the tool is already available to use, if you are willing to do a little work yourself to complete some of the transition areas needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:53 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Dian wrote:
This is not Orbsydia, or RunUO.

Learned it straight from you. I've already made a similar statement though to a few others. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:28 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Right, and apperently a perfect example of it being taken the wrong way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:44 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Let it go already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:53 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Stormcrow wrote:
Let it go already.

Oh I let it go. But I'm just saying, I came here for the first time, and read that and was kinda like "Oh, thats how it is". So I kept it in my mind for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:30 am 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

I dont know what you mean by, "Oh, thats how it is" but it doesnt sound like "the way it really is", or "The way it was really meant"

Dropped.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3